History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should there be more focus on Ancient History?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I remember when I was at school I learnt a bit about Rome and maybe touched on Egypt but there was no room in the sylabus for the Hittites, Babylon, etc. To me these civilisations are equally as important as Rome and Egypt and should be given more air time.

View user profile http://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk
mckay1402 wrote:I remember when I was at school I learnt a bit about Rome and maybe touched on Egypt but there was no room in the sylabus for the Hittites, Babylon, etc. To me these civilisations are equally as important as Rome and Egypt and should be given more air time.

In assembling a school history program, we should probably give some consideration l to what kids will find interesting, not only to what is important... The history and culture of the Hittites is only fragmentarily known, and hard to present in an attractive way. Egypt, Greece and Rome have the advantage of having left behind big, impressive monuments. Especially Egyptian history has remained "hot" because of its material legacy.

But the essential ingredient to make a history course work, may be surviving literature... Here the Greeks and Romans clearly hold the advantage over the other old Mediterranean civilizations, with the Egyptians coming third and the Babylonians fourth. Because of the historical significance of Babylonian legal texts (and perhaps the link to biblical history) they were given some attention when I was at school.

View user profile
There are difficulties of course but these civilisations are so important to our development that they must be studied. I know the Iraq war caused study of these regions to end so hopefully that will be able to start again soon and there hasn't been too much damage.

There are enough Stele, kings lists and mythology to present something about Sumer, Babylon and that area.

As well as this they could be presented in the wider world. I understand what you say about the richness of documents that the Romans and Greeks left behind but there is current information that most people don't know.

Perhaps I'm over estimating the interest in it...

View user profile http://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum