History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

What happened to Lavinia?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 What happened to Lavinia? on Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 am

I'm looking for Lavinia Hann born Haydon Dorset 1871 *
Father Henry mother Patience.

I think she is Levenea Hann in 1891 age 19 servant at a boarding school in Yeovil Somerset.

Next and final sighting is her having a son William in 1893 Stoford Barwick.  
Both parents informed of the birth but they weren't married far as I know.

Mother Lavinia Parsons (this was a middle name - her father was Henry Parsons Hann)
Father William Whittle

Now the child is with his grandmother Patience Ettery (remarried, Henry died 1881) in Yeovil in 1901/1911.  No sign of Lavinia.

Oh and just to make things more complicated she seems to be down as Elizabeth age 9 in 1881  silent 

* Closest BMD I can find is Lavinia Parsons Dec 1871 Sherborne.

2 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sat May 17, 2014 3:59 pm

View user profile

3 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sat May 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Yes that would be her. Mothers name should be Patience but close enough.

The 1911 is a devil to find (under Ottery instead of Ettery) and the number of children is crossed through but Patience has put 6 born 6 still living.

6 is the right amount and if all 6 still living in 1911 then Lavinia should be somewhere  scratch 

4 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sun May 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Hum  scratch 

Tried all sorts, but can't find anyfink.

Sozza  Sad

View user profile

5 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sun May 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for looking STG.

I'm sure she will turn up before George does  Laughing 

6 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Wed May 21, 2014 1:05 pm

What did I say she has turned up  Laughing 

I can't take the credit for finding her but pretty sure is her.

She is Lavinia Crofts living with George Arthur Crofts in 1901/1911 as married (but not because he already had a wife who, ironically, died after Lavinia did)

Anyway they had 4 children by 1911 all registered under Parsons.
Big gap though, eldest two are 15 and 13, youngest two 4 and 3.

One wonders if he nipped off and had another "wife" in between.  Or he upset her so much she wouldn't let him in the bedroom for 9 years  elephant

7 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Wed May 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Oh well done.

> 9 years!

That would have been some Almighty row. Evil or Very Mad 

Maybe there were children born in those 9 years but they died before the next census?

Now all we want is for George to turn up!  bounce   bounce   bounce  Come on, George, up you pop!

View user profile

8 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Fri May 23, 2014 11:07 am

This one is picking up pace  bounce 

I found a tree with the Crofts family on and contacted the owner.  He said he is doing research for a descendant of John Crofts - hopefully the 13 year old John in 1911.

Anyway he got in touch with her and gave me her e-mail to make contact.

I very much doubt she knows Lavinia already had a son before the 4 with Mr Crofts.

About the 1911 STG they only claim 4 children born during the "marriage" but there is some question as to whether he went off soldiering - army records, including graphic descriptions of scars and moles!, indicate born in Dublin tho the census I have say Wincanton Somerset and Aldershot.

Anyway result  cheers

9 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sat May 24, 2014 12:42 pm

> I very much doubt she knows Lavinia already had a son before the 4 with Mr Crofts

Let's hope she doesn't need the fainting couch when she finds out then  affraid 

I love the physical descriptions on army paperwork.  Found one which described a tattoo of a "Balanese dancing girl" on the chap's right forearm.  What struck me was the person filling in the form obviously knew exactly a Balanese dancing girl looked like in order to be able to describe it  Laughing 

STG

View user profile

10 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sat May 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Scars and moles are tame compared to Balanese dancing girls  Laughing 

The lady has contacted me but it isn't the John age 13 in 1911.  

She is descended from a John Crofts alleged brother of George Arthur a soldier who married in India, came back to England, was put in prison for larceny and then committed bigamy  Shocked 
I wonder what his army descriptions are  silent 

Lavinia's exploits are nothing to her personally.  And pretty tame in comparison eh.

11 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Sun May 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Tourmie wrote:
The lady has contacted me but it isn't the John age 13 in 1911.  

Oh, that's a shame  Sad 

STG

View user profile

12 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:41 am

I've found out where Lavinia is buried - St James Church Shaftesbury in 1919.

As luck would have it am on holiday in Dorset next week so am going to have a look for her.  I don't know if she has a headstone but there are other Crofts headstones there.  If she hasn't got one won't be able to find her as there is no plan but I've got permission to have a nose round in the grass  cheers

13 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:30 pm

Oh, well done for finding the burial.  cheers 

Never been to Shaftesbury.  Is that the place with the steep cobbled hill from the Hovis advert?  scratch 

Hope you have a spiffing holiday  Smile 

STG

View user profile

14 Re: What happened to Lavinia? on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:44 pm

You got the right place STG.  Gold Hill.  Lavinia is near to there.  
Her discovery has been most interesting.  

Of the 4 children she had with George only first son is baptised and registered with fathers surname as if they were married.  All the others are relegated to her surname.  Quite telling that.  

Her "husband" married 2 years after she died when he was 57 and promptly had another child.  When I say promptly I mean less than 9 months promptly!

The lady I am in contact with is descended from his brother (the larceny bigamist one) but we can't find what happened to him later in life or where he died.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum