History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ann Paters who was she?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ann Paters who was she? Empty Ann Paters who was she? Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:55 am

In 1861 census Stratton St, Stratton St Margaret, Wiltshire is Robert Hinchliffe visitor age 8.
He is with a lady transcribed as Ann Paters widow 72 from Gt Tollard Dorset.
It's a general shop so was he just bedding down with the sweeties for the night Question
He's back with his own family in 1871 so hasn't been orphaned or anything.

I've just noticed on the same census page are his grandparents Robert Chowles butcher and his wife Mary but he obviously preferred to spend the night with the sweeties than them Very Happy

I expect Ann Paters is just the shop keeper but would be interesting to find out more about her.

sunny

2Ann Paters who was she? Empty Re: Ann Paters who was she? Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:55 pm

SmallTownGirl

FMP has her as Ann Patey, if that helps at all.  Wink

Will be back later to see if I can find more. Smile

STG

Back sooner than I thought Rolling Eyes

In 1851, she's Ann Peaty, 62, b. Dorsetshire, still at Stratton Street, with 59yo husband John Peaty, b. Ramsby/Ramsley (? - hard to read), Wilts.  His occupation is given as Butcher.

I see that in 1861 it says she was b. Gt Tolland, Dorset, but I can't find any such place. Embarassed

Is this helping? bounce

3Ann Paters who was she? Empty Re: Ann Paters who was she? Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 pm

Paters - Patey - Peaty - take your pick it would seem Shocked

And I have found a death for her under Peatey in 1868.

Death for John Peatey in 1852.

His birthplace I think is Ramsbury.  Hers goodness knows, I couldn't find a Gt Tollard in Dorset either.

There is a Tollard Royal in Wiltshire, maybe that's on the border with good old Dorsetshire.

Can you find them in 1841?  I can't.

4Ann Paters who was she? Empty Re: Ann Paters who was she? Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:49 am

SmallTownGirl

1841, still at Stratton Street, still a butcher.  He b. in county, she not.

HO107, piece 1178, book 27, folio 11, page 15.

Are you getting a link yet to the family? Question

STG

5Ann Paters who was she? Empty Re: Ann Paters who was she? Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Got it thank you bounce

No link that I can see.

Interesting her husband was a butcher as was Robert's grandfather in the same street.  I always imagine him having a butchers shop but it could have been a more macabre set up in those days pale

Nobody seems to remember a butchers shop in that street nor is there one on any of the old photographs I've seen.

Only other thing is finding a marriage for the Paters, whatever the proper name was, to see if any H's were witnesses  Idea

6Ann Paters who was she? Empty Re: Ann Paters who was she? Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 pm

SmallTownGirl

Not having much luck. Sad

There's this

http://ukga.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=ViewRec&DB=8&recid=84836

but I can't find anything on FreeReg, searching 1830 +/- 20 years.

SadSad

Maybe the chaps became buddies because they were both butchers?  Clutching at straws, moi?  Embarassed

STG

7Ann Paters who was she? Empty Re: Ann Paters who was she? Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 am

Looks like that couple had to get married - daughter Anna born very soon after.

Yes just butcher buddies I reckon, will leave it at that thanks.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum