History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Francis Frith photographs

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Francis Frith photographs Empty Francis Frith photographs Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Saw this post on Woots study

Just to let you know, Ancestry are allowing access to all the Francis Firth Photos for free.

Ever wondered what your local towns and villages looked like in Victorian times? Now you can find out with our UK City, Town & Village Photos, 1857‑2005. Access to this comprehensive colection is FREE until the end of August and includes more than 220,000 landscape and portrait images of 7,000 individual cities, towns, and villages across the UK.

This is a fantastic opportunity to see how the fashions and styles of Britain really evolved, not just what we see in period dramas. Discover the changing street scenes, from horse-drawn traffic replaced by motor vehicles, to old steam trains replaced by the British Rail. These images are extra special as they link to our Census and Parish records, letting you discover your ancestors through their old stomping grounds.

Just log in with your Ancestry account, or make a free one.

2Francis Frith photographs Empty Re: Francis Frith photographs Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:45 pm

SmallTownGirl

I've had a quick look and there's some great stuff there, but I can't see that the images are dated - well not the ones I've seen, anyway - which seems a shame.  Or am I missing something?

STG

3Francis Frith photographs Empty Re: Francis Frith photographs Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Um I think mine had dates on the index - I typed in Swindon Wilts and an index list came up of locations with dates alongside.

Will have another look....yes a little picture comes up with the location next to it and the date alongside.

4Francis Frith photographs Empty Re: Francis Frith photographs Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:09 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote: ...yes a little picture comes up with the location next to it and the date alongside.

[note to self]

Must try harder and pay more attention! Embarassed

STG

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum