History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Well i'll start then as it's my forum I suppose

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mckay1402

Admin

I have been doing family history on Ancestry and have built up a considerable family tree going back to the late 18th century. There are blind areas however and I my mother has given me some verbal history but this doesn't seem to add up based on what's on Ancestry. I seem to be lacking a Welsh side of my family which we have always beleived to exist.

https://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk

clematised

Hello Admin,

Excellent choice of name there very imaginative, gives no clue to gender ect other than "I am in Charge".

A little bit of info on why you felt the need to set up the site in this way may help us understand what you are doing this for, apart from the BBC evicting us all next week.

I noticed other threads ie Holistic, and also in other languages which makes me a bit weary of the site so really need to believe that it is a serious Historys/Family Tree board and that e mail addys and so on will be safe from spammers.

I will keep an eye here

Edna

mckay1402

Admin

Hi Edna

The predominant reason I have set this up is because of the BBC closing down their message boards. It's very disappointing and I felt it would be nice to have somewhere new to discuss things.

With regards to the name I will look at changing it as you are quite correct in that it's not a great one.

With regards the other threads you have mentioned I can't see them and I have set myself up a non admin username and still can't see them. The forum is hosted by a very well established free forum hosting company (which I believe may be French)and so I would expect it to be a secure environment. It does have built in spam protection as well so that should be ok.

I hope to see you on here and although we are small now it is a start and hopefully when the word gets out we'll see a bit of growth.

Regards James

vron

i was going to say i cant see the threads clematised was talking about and then i did see them.

when you go on the family history thread and the "Well i'll start then as it's my forum I suppose" thread. at the bottom it has a heading similar topics and if you click on them they go through to completely different websites i think

5Well i'll start then as it's my forum I suppose Empty I'm Here Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:54 am

custard_pot

Saw the link on My Family and joined. This seems a lot better format than Myfamily. Very Happy Hope this works and we can all work to make it somewhere people can come for help.

Thank you for setting it up.

Christine

mckay1402

Admin

I yes I can see them now as well. I'll see what I can do about getting rid of them. I how to see more people joiningso if you fancy spreading the word please do.

jc26red

Hello Mckay!

Glad you have managed to kick off the family history board. Cool

Regarding your Welsh ancestors, have you managed to trace them through the 1911-1841 census and BMD Index? Some parishes are online depending on area..

I know Welsh ancestors are not always easy to sort out as they do repeat the names so often!

vron

yes mckay

do post some details on the welsh side and let us sleuths get our teeth into it . there is nothing us ex beeb people like than a mystery to solve.

clematised

I see a message for me and so being nosey I opened it to find I have won a prize<hahaha> affraid so now I am reluctant to open any more messages so hope this is not going to continue, we need to sort out the bumf before settling in here.

Thank you for your reply to mine and I was just joking about admin so breaking the ice with a chuckle Very Happy

We need to set up a bar for chatter and a place for serious research not mixing the two things as it gets confusing and can get lost as we have found in the new place.

Edna

clematised

You need to avoid the "youve got a message" and the "You've got 2 friendship requests" as they are just advertising so dont know how you actually get a PM that is a real PM from a friend, although advertising helps to run the boards.

Edna

mckay1402

Admin

Unfortunately at the moment I can't do anything about the ads so for the time being they are a necessary evil. I am aware of the teething problems and they are things I will get around to resolving but at the moment please be patient until I (a)have the funds and (b)have the time.

Thank you for all your feedback. you will all be the most important part of our little family

clematised

No worries just mentioned it so others can avoid opening it, affraid and making people aware

Good Luck with the site by the way

Edna

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum