History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

What happened to Amy?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What happened to Amy? Empty What happened to Amy? Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:19 am

siamesewillow

I'm researching the Lawfull family from Somerset and not sure about Amy.

James Lawfull born 1833 Cutcombe Somerset married to Anna Henley in 1853 Williton, They had 4 daughters?
Mary born 1854
Amy born 1855
Clara born 1858
Ann born 1860

Can find very little on Amy the second daughter. She is on the 1881 census age 26 living at home with James and Anna Lawfull, but that is all I can find.

Searched FreeBMD for a birth, there is a Ann Lawfull born 1855 and a death the same year but gives no age for the death, also while the other 3 girl's birth registration had been in Williton, this Ann's birth had been registered in Bath.

Any help would be appreciated

siamese

2What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:54 am

SmallTownGirl

I can't see anything on Ancestry either.

I did a search of the IGI for Lawfulls and got this list for Somerset. Any use?

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

STG

3What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:17 pm

siamesewillow

Thanks for looking, had a search on FS as well and most of the Lawfulls I can place. I even looked to see if Amy was someone else like Annie or Amy was a second name but no. Maybe one year.

siamese

4What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm

SmallTownGirl

It is frustrating, isn't it?

Maybe she'll put in a proper appearance one day and surprise you.

STG

5What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I can see 3 daughters in 1871 Mary, Clara and Ann. There is also a lone Maria working as a servant in 1871.

Back to 1861 we have 4 daughters Mary, Maria, Clara and Ann. Soooo I am thinking Maria is the daughter that morphs into Amy in 1881.

There are births for Maria in 1854 and 1856 both Williton district.

6What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Births Mar 1856 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAWFULL Maria Williton 5c 399

This one slots in the best with the other girls births.
Mary 1854 Maria 1856 Clara 1858 Ann 1860.

7What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:14 pm

Here is the lone Maria in 1871.

Name:
Maria Lawfull

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1855

Relation:
Servant

Where born:
Somerset, England

Civil parish:
Stapleton

The address looks like Coalston Hospital but head is a schoolmaster.

Oh it's actually the census entry before the one for the rest of the family at Coalston Lodge! I reckon that could be your girl.

8What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:41 pm

In 1901 there is an Anna widowed with a daughter Mary who is single and a dressmaker. Amy was a dressmaker in 1881.
Anna is down as 76 and Mary 44.

This might be a different family but not many with that surname around.
There are a couple of grandchildren with them if they tie in - James C L Cooper 28 born Bristol and Ettie Clark 9 born Cardiff.

If I remember I think Clara married a Cooper?

Any exact place of birth for the 4 sisters? This Anna and Mary are down as Monksilver Somerset.

9What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:18 am

siamesewillow

Thanks Tourmie.

Mary was born in Monksilver, Somerset
Amy Yeovil, Somerset
Clara Monksilver, Somerset
Ann Williton Somerset

Mary, Clara and Ann's births were registered in Williton

siamese

10What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:29 pm

Ah right so it is Mary with her mother in 1901 then.

Maybe worth getting the 1856 birth for Maria to confirm parents are James and Anna. You never know there might be Amy written beside it!

Mary and Maria are similar names so she may have plumped for a different one.

None of this helps with what happened to her after 1881 unfortunately and I can't find the family in 1891. Presume father died sometime between 1881 and 1901.

Hope something turns up.

11What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Sorry I do like to keep digging Laughing and this is sticking a spanner in the works but there is a marriage of a Maria Lawfull to George Lee in 1880 and here they are in 1881. Her father is James Lawfull but obviously she can't be Amy in 1881 as well.

George LEE Head M Male 31 Shepton Mallett, Somerset, England Coachman (D)
Maria LEE Wife M Female 25 Monksilver (Somt)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling Fishponds Rd 2
Census Place Stapleton, Gloucester, England

Marriages Jun 1880 (>99%)

JONES Mary Ann Bristol 6a 65
LAWFULL Maria Bristol 6a 65
Lee George Bristol 6a 65
Wheeler James Bristol 6a 65

12What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:44 am

siamesewillow

I think Maria and Amy are 2 different people, but Maria and could be Mary the same. Just a thought and I have not really searched yet but there is a birth for a Ann Lawfull in Births Sep 1855 (>99%)
Lawfull Ann Bath 5c649. She dies as a baby. Deaths Sep 1855 (>99%)Lawfull Ann Bath 5c 397.
James and Anna go on and have another daughter they call Ann in 1860. Births Jun 1860 (>99%)LAWFULL Ann Williton 5c383. Maybe the family called her Amy?

Thanks

siamese

Last edited by siamesewillow on Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:46 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Some words to close)

13What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 am

The births for Ann (the 1st Ann) and Maria are pretty close. Ann Sep 1855 and Maria Mar 1856 so have to wonder if they came from the same set of parents.

In 1861 there are 4 sisters together including a Mary and a Maria. It does lead to Maria being Amy but the 2 entries in 1881 seem to prove otherwise.
One of them must come from a different set of parents.

Maybe the Amy listed in 1881 is some other relative and got listed as a daughter or we are dealing with 2 different families as clearly Maria belongs to the clan.

It's a puzzler but then all good ancestry queries are study

1861 for info.

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
LAWFUL Anna Head M F 36 Cordwainer Wife Somerset - Monksilver
LAWFUL Mary Dau - F 7 Scholar Somerset - Monksilver
LAWFUL Maria Dau - F 5 Somerset - Monksilver
LAWFUL Clara Dau - F 3 Somerset - Monksilver
LAWFUL Ann Dau - F 11m Somerset - Monksilver
HURLEY Mary Mother W F 69 Lab Wife Somerset - Minehead

14What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 pm

siamesewillow

Thats interesting on the 1861 census I see there is a mother called Mary Hurley, so she could be Anna's mother, will check my tree when I get home (at library at present and having trouble with tribalpages and do not have time to go onto my tree on ancestry) but have a feeling that Anna's maiden name was Hurley.

15What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Yes I think that lady is Anna's mother but the surname is difficult to read on the original. The marriage for Anna and James gives it as Henley.

Marriages Jun 1853 (>99%)

Henley Anna Williton 5c 597
Hill James Williton 5c 597
Lawfull James Williton 5c 597
Lewis Anne Williton 5c 597

16What happened to Amy? Empty Re: What happened to Amy? Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:33 pm

siamesewillow

Have just checked my tree and I have Henley to but as you say the original could be difficult to read so could be Hurley. Think I will have to re subscribe to ancestry

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum