History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bit of help with the Pashleys

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm looking for what became of 2 brothers William and James. They were orphaned when parents died and were in an orphanage in 1871. By 1881 some kind family in Failsworth had adopted them but I haven't found them after that.

William gives birth as Hulme Manchester in 1861.
James born 1863 also gives Hulme but was actually born in Hampshire I believe.

Any sightings after 1881 gratefully received.

2Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:19 pm

vron

1891 census transcription details for: 13, Beech Street, Broughton, Salford

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG12 Piece: 3211 Folio: 52 Page: 38

Reg. District: Salford Sub District: Broughton
Parish: Broughton Enum. District: 7
Ecclesiastical District: Ascension City/Municipal Borough: Salford

Address: 13, Beech Street, Broughton, Salford
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PASHLEY, George Head Married M 27 1864 Slater
Salford
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PASHLEY, Ada Wife Married F 25 1866
Salford
PASHLEY, Albert Son Single M 5 1886
Salford
PASHLEY, Elizabeth A Daughter Single F 4 1887
Salford
PASHLEY, William Brother Single M 32 1859 Slater
Salford

3Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:25 pm

vron

a poss death for james??

Name: PASHLEY, James
Registration District: Salford
County: Lancashire
Year of Registration: 1923
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at death: 56
Volume No: 8D
Page No: 26

4Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:28 pm

vron

mind you this might be the wrong family

as in 1871 they are not in orphanage

Burgess Buildings, Salford

National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG10 Piece: 4018 Folio: 61 Page: 34

Reg. District: Salford Sub District: Greengate
Parish: Salford Enum. District: 18
Ecclesiastical District: City/Municipal Borough: Salford

PASHLEY, William Head M 40 1831 Lancashire
PASHLEY, Elizabeth Wife F 48 1823 Lancashire
PASHLEY, William Son M 12 1859 Lancashire
PASHLEY, George Son M 9 1862 Lancashire
PASHLEY, James Son M 5 1866 Lancashire

5Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 pm

vron

ok i can see william born yorkshire and james born hampshire on the 1871 census in an institution

6Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Thank you vron for looking. Their father was William mother Elizabeth. Father died 1865 mother died 1867. Don't know if they stayed in that area or moved on but hopefully they stuck together.

In 1881 their adoptive family is Edward and Ann Schofield of Failsworth. I could check them out for later years to see if either of the boys is still with them but possible they had married and moved out by then.

That's looking on the bright side as all William seniors other children died young Sad

7Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:07 pm

Nope they aren't with them in 1891 or 1901. I wonder if they took on that surname Question

8Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Update. Found what happened to James. He died in August 1881 aged 18 Sad Sure I have the right one as the informant is a Sally Ogden who is in the same household on the 1881 census.

William is the last hope now to have survived beyond a young age.

9Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:20 am

I'm looking to conclude this family by finding William but haven't been able to do so. Last seen in Failsworth in 1881 aged 20.

I'm thinking of plumping for a death but which one? He should be on the census for 1891 if so but can't locate him.

Deaths Dec 1891 (>99%)

Pashley William 32 Salford 8d 51

Deaths Sep 1898 (>99%)

Pashley William 39 Rotherham 9c 496

Would those areas be close to where he was last seen?
For info his brother died in 1881 Oldham district. I hope they stuck together as they were orphaned and adopted together after parents died.

10Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:42 pm

SmallTownGirl

From Google, Failsworth seems to be between Manchester and Oldham; slightly closer to Oldham than half-way between. Rotherham, in S. Yorks is MILES away.

Having said that, though, he could have been in either, or neither.

Pity he can't be found in the 1981 census, isn't it, as that might give more of a clue? [stating the obvious, sorry]

I have a couple (he a coal miner, she a servant - i.e. so no money to splash around) who both lived in the same village in March 1881 and yet travel 15 miles to a different village "just" to get married in the August before returning to the original village sometime in the next 12mths for the eldest to be born.

STG

11Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:35 am

Thanks so Salford would be the best bet if any, but you're right he could have been anywhere.
I'll have to go for it if I want to find out but will have one last look (again!) in the 1891 first.

Maybe one of yours originated in the other village or had family there.

12Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am

Right I've plumped for the Salford death. Have to find out one way or another if that is him.
Watch this space as they say Arrow

13Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Nope wasn't him. Informant was sister in law and I can't see how he would have had one of those.

I give up looking for this one.

14Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Works every time Very Happy Whenever I say I give up something pops up and, hold onto your hats, I think we've found him cheers

He emigrates in 1887, marries in 1888 and has a daugher in 1896. There are a few anomolies like birth year is slightly out and he has produced a middle initial from somewhere but enough other evidence like birth month and parents names to say it is him.

I've found him on 4 US census 1900-1930 in Fall River Massachusetts. Sounds rather nice doesn't it.

I am so happy he survived and made a new life for himself after losing his parents so young then his brother.

Delighted bounce

15Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:05 pm

SmallTownGirl

Oh, I'm so pleased Tourmie. Happy ending, indeed. Very Happy

BTW, it is just us two now here, or have the others gone on hols or something? Question

STG

16Bit of help with the Pashleys Empty Re: Bit of help with the Pashleys Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Very Happy

Does get a bit lonely doesn't it, pity more people aren't flinging their queries on for us. I don't know where they all went to Question

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum