History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Into darkest Derbyshire we go

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Into darkest Derbyshire we go Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Venturing into Derbyshire on the hunt for George Cool

Mission number one.

Found a couple of marriages to investigate.  There are 2 in Glossop both to ladies called Martha.
I have eliminated the Martha Swann marriage 1869 but struggling to find more on Martha Bennett marriage 1874.  Probably her George was too young to be mine but you never know.

Mission number two.

I also jotted one down to Jane Townley Glossop in 1857 but when I look on ancestry and BMD the groom is George Unwin and the district is different so goodness knows what has happened there silent 
Is there an Unwin/Hinchliffe couple about in Derbyshire so I could rule Jane out or is there a bride and groom missing and they didn't marry each other Question 

Grateful for any straightening out as always Basketball 
Should add the marriages were under the spelling Hinchcliffe.

2Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 pm

Update - mission number one has failed.
Wrong father (as always Rolling Eyes ) and too young.

Mission number two is still up for grabs.

3Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:33 pm

SmallTownGirl

Am a bit stumped too.

Have looked at the image for Jane Townley's marriage (via FreeBMD) and it defo says Hayfield, 7b, but I'm not sure of the first number that comes next.  Been transcribed as 839, but I dunno about the 8 - although can't make it into anyfink else either.

I did try the 1861 census for a George Unwin with a wife Jane, but they didn't appear for me.  

Not much help today, am I?

4Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:46 pm

I found a family tree with George Unwin and Sarah Ann Yates as the married couple and there are census with those two on sooooooo I think George H did marry this Jane Townley but the entries on BMD aren't together with their spouses?

5Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:18 pm

So to recap BMD Jun 1857 marriages we have 3 separate entries as follows.

George Unwin - Chesterfield 7b 839
Jane Townley - Hayfield 7b 839

Sarah Ann Yates - Chesterfield 7b *

George Hinchcliffe - Hayfield 7b 959

I've asked the nice lady who looked up the Derbyshire marriages for me yesterday to check this one out. Hope she can find it even if it isn't my George as I don't fancy my chances ordering that certificate Laughing 

6Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Oh rats Derbyshire lady can't find any details on this marriage silent 

Better try and find the pair of them on a census see what G's birthplace is *
Death for Jane H in Hayfield 1890 age 52 could be her.

* Well what do you know it leads me back to the family we've found before the one with a sister Sarah Shocked 

George born Shepley 1835
Sarah born Huddersfield 1841  

I don't have a Sarah but could there have been one?  If so why isn't she on census with family.
Oh dear I might have to get that marriage after all.  Unless she was wife's sister not his.

Any thoughts? I am starting to ramble!

7Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:51 pm

SmallTownGirl

> ... sister Sarah.

Oh who knows?

I'm helping a friend-of-a-friend with her tree and today found a 1911 census for a couple who had been married 2 years and said they had 1 child living.  He/she wasn't with them, but a 6yo "daughter boarder" was!  So, where's the baby then?  

I wouldn't rush in and buy the certificate.  But then I'm mean with my money!

Apart from your nice Derbyshire lady, have you asked elsewhere?  RootsChat Derbyshire Board has helped me, even if it's just for elimination purposes.

8Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:10 pm

I think it would be sensible to see if we can find a George with sister Sarah. Depending when she was born in 1841 they could be together in 1841/1851 and mine is never with a sister Sarah.

Yes it was on Roots Derbyshire I made enquiries.

Did the 6 year old daughter/boarder have the same surname? Maybe they had her before they married or there is a younger child with grandparents somewhere.

9Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:53 pm

Made a bit of progress but not with finding sister Sarah.

I think Jane Townley was Jane Townend with family in 1841/1851 and born 1838.  
She and George are on 1861/1871/1881 in Derbyshire with various of her relatives including unmarried sister Mary Townend and nieces Harriet who is with them 1871/1881/1891 and Eleanor presume children of Mary.

Probable death for Jane 1890 and George 1896 Hayfield.  They don't seem to have had any children together.

I found out the church they married was different to the one I asked about for the other two marriages so have done a separate Derbyshire post to see if anyone has the records.

Birthplace for George chops about a bit as does his occupation so am now feeling he isn't mine but need that fathers name to be sure.

10Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:58 am

Getting desperate to order the certificate now to find out!  But what name/ref should I put?
FMP has Hayfield Jun 1857 7B 939 but name spelt Hinckcliffe.  The last thing I want is GRO to come back and say they can't find it.  Better be patient a bit longer see if anyone on Derbyshire bit comes up with the goods.  I note the FMP info came from Derbyshire Local History Society but I think they charge for info.  However if they charge less than cost of a cert might be worth a shot.

Basketball 

PS Out this afternoon so my ramblings will cease for a while Laughing Going to Whitchurch Silk Mill the oldest working one in Britain.

11Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:48 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:...  I note the FMP info came from Derbyshire Local History Society but I think they charge for info.  However if they charge less than cost of a cert might be worth a shot.

I know northing, but they might give you one look-up for free!  Gotta be worth a try, eh?

I'm away now until Monday.  Physically venturing into God's Own County (aka Yorkshire).

STG

12Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:11 pm

Give my regards to Huddersfield please STG cheers 

I've sent a message to the Derbyshire Local History Society to see if they can assist Cool 

13Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:12 pm

Been a week now and I am getting impatient.  I had a reply asking me for details which I supplied and nothing since.  They only work a couple of days so I must try and be more patient.

I fear it will be a bit of an anti-climax after all this time if it is him and he has only popped to Derbyshire!

But what are the chances it is eh?  Especially with this mysterious sister Sarah, that will be the next thing to resolve if necessary.

Have we got any festive smilies on here?  Oh yes rendeer

14Into darkest Derbyshire we go Empty Re: Into darkest Derbyshire we go Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:07 am

SmallTownGirl

Am back from Yorkshire.  Waved at Huddersfield as I went by, but George didn't pop out to see me.  Shame on him. Sad

Waiting can be difficult, can't it?  Still, fingers crossed, maybe it IS him with the sister Sarah.  Stranger things have happened ... rendeer

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum