History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Had a thought

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Had a thought Empty Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:15 am

Never tried this before but it is probably something others have thought of.

I was thinking census 10 years is a big gap so had the idea of looking up the marriages for the Yorkshire children to see residence at time of marriage.

I thought the girls especially would have married from home and it would give a clue as to where the family were living between census.

No proper street names unfortunately - don't think there were any to be fair - but I have found these which adds a teeny bit more meat to the bones.  Off to look up Dalton now Basketball 

2/5/1841 - Dalton Amelia H
21/10/1843 - Kirkheaton Mark H
21/12/1845 - Mold Green Dalton Rhoda H
18/11/1849 - Crossland Moore Elizabeth H
28/11/1852 - Paddock Emma H

Thomas of course didn't marry in Yorkshire and the other 3, one died, one never married and then we have George nuff said.  I am itching to order the certificate for him but am trying to be patient just a little bit longer.  Pound to a penny the minute I order it they will reply Laughing

2Had a thought Empty Re: Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm

SmallTownGirl

Sorry am being unusually slow today, but I don't understand the references: Embarassed 

2 May 1841 = a date, yes?  Marriage or birth?  
Dalton, Amelia H = the name of the person who was born on 2 May 1841?

Yes/ No / Other options are available. Question 

Would love to help, but don't know exactly what we're looking for - except George, of course! rendeer

3Had a thought Empty Re: Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Oh no it's not you it's me Laughing 

I'm not looking for anything.  I just had the thought of how to track people between census dates by checking the childrens residence at time of marriage.

That was just an example of my Yorkshire H's marriages.  The dates of marriage then the residence at time of marriage and I put the names to show whether bride or groom.
Grooms might have left home anyway so the address wouldn't be the family home if you see what I mean but girls more likely to have gone from parents home to husbands.

It's vague I know (much like myself rendeer ) but thought it might help others tracking families between census if they didn't stay in the same place.

All I had before was Huddersfield 1841/1851 so this gives me a map of some different places they may have lived in between.

Are you with me tigger? bounce

4Had a thought Empty Re: Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:04 pm

SmallTownGirl

So, on 2 May 1841 a GH married an Amelia [somebody] in Dalton - right?

This post is brought to you by Thickos R Us Embarassed 

5Had a thought Empty Re: Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Whoops no GH didn't marry any of them - they are his siblings marriages, date, place of residence at time of marriage, and name of said sibling. 

Amelia Hinchliffe married on 2 May 1841 and at the time her residence was Dalton.  
I know who they all married.  It's nothing to do with trying to find George just thought it would be a bit of additional info as to where the family were living between census years.

If your family was at a different address each census then finding a certificate dated between those years - doesn't have to be a marriage could be birth or death - helps to see where they moved about to.

Posting my thoughts out loud may have backfired Laughing but hey it's December tomorrow and mince pies are due rendeer

Wafflers R Us has brought you this post drunken

6Had a thought Empty Re: Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:21 pm

SmallTownGirl

Light bulb moment! cheers 

I get it now ! Embarassed

7Had a thought Empty Re: Had a thought Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:27 pm

cheers 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum