History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scottish records - how to crack 'em!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 pm

SmallTownGirl

Am doing some research for a friend and in his tree he has a David Wood, b. abt 1834.

From the 1841, 51 and 61 Scottish census records, he was living in Edinburgh and for place of birth it says born Midlothian/Edinburgh, Midlothian.

In 1871 and 1881 he's in Derby and it says either b. "Scotland" or "Edinburgh, Scotland". In 1891 and 1901 he's in Mansfield, again saying Scotland or Edinburgh.

Then in 1911, still in Mansfield, his place of birth changes to Kirkcaldy, Fife.

Much the same with his wife, who I haven't [yet]found in 1841 or 51, but is in Edinburgh in 1961 and then with David for the rest of the census, saying b. Edinburgh or Scotland. In 1911 her place of birth is given as "Annwick, Kirkcubrightshire". Can't find an Annwick, but there is an Alnwick, so that could just be a spelling error - David is, by now, a retired Litho Printer and would have had some level of literacy.

I've looked on FamilySearch, but can't find a birth for David that leaps out and screams THIS IS THE ONE, although there is a suitable marriage (1855 in Edinburgh for David and Mary); and a number of possible births/christenings in Kirkcubrightshire for Mary.

Having never researched in Scotland before, I'm now a bit stuck. I've got myself 10 free credits with ScotlandsPeople, but no idea how to go about using them.

So, firstly I'd like opinions as to where you think he and Mary were born, and secondly, any info/advice about ScotlandsPeople would be much appreciated.

Am off out now, but back later to catch up with any replies.

STG

Edited to say : The Scottish census records say that David parents, James and Rachel, were born in Midlothian, which is where they were at the time of the census [if you see what I mean].

2Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:25 pm

mckay1402

Admin

Hi STG

I have had similar problems with Scotlands people. After using Ancestry it is not very user friendly and I can tell you that 10 credits won't go very far. With regards to the Annwick question I can tell you that Alnwick is pronounced Annick so that could be why it has been written down like that.

As far as searching on the website goes it is fairly simple but you have to pay one credit to see the search results. Try to be as specific in years as you can because the last thing you want is to have to go through a big list of records and use up all your credits before you even see anything relevant.

Let me know if you need any more advice on it. just thinking about using it gives me a headache...

PS. you can compare your finds on Ancestry as they have the facts on there but not the records.

https://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk

3Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:47 pm

vron

is this them in 1861
WOOD, David Head Married M 27 1834 Printer Lithographer Jour
Kirkcaldy Fife
WOOD, Mary Wife Married F 24 1837
Galloway Galloway
WOOD, John Son Unmarried M 5 1856
Edinr Midlothian
WOOD, Wm Son Unmarried M 3 1858
Edinr Midlothian
WOOD, David Son Unmarried M 1 1860
Edinr Midlothian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Piece:2 Folio:0 Page:7 Registration District:St Andrews

Civil Parish:St Stephen's Address:Jamaica Street, St Stephen's

the places of birth differ again slightly

4Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:53 pm

vron

i was looking at this family for david but you have different parents???

Person: WOOD, David
Address: 3, Skinners Close House Left Hand, Skinners Close House Left Hand, Edinburgh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOOD, John Head Married M 51 1800 Post Runner
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Mary Wife Married F 51 1800
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Anabella Daughter Unmarried F 22 1829 Book Folder
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, David Son Unmarried M 17 1834 Lithographic Printer
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Mary Daughter F 13 1838 Book Folder
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Catherine Daughter F 11 1840 Scholar
Beith Ayrshire

Piece:685 Folio:22 Page:15 Registration District:

5Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:17 pm

vron

do you have one of the childrens birth cert to give marys maiden name.

there are quite a few baptism that seem to fit with children giving maiden name of mary as Anderson

eg
Name: William Wood
Birth Date: 26 Jan 1858
Birthplace: EDINBURGH PARISH,EDINBURGH,MIDLOTHIAN,SCOTLAND
Father's Name: David Wood
Mother's Name: Mary Anderson
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11685-1
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number: 6035516

Name: David Wood
Birth Date: 18 Oct 1859
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11685-1

Name: James Wood
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1865
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11685-2

6Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 pm

SmallTownGirl

I've been working backwards from James Anderson Wood, b. Edinburgh 1867 who seems to have moved, with his parents and numerous siblings, from Edinburgh to Derby sometime between his birth in 1867 and the 1871 census.

According to the 1911 census, David and Mary had 17 (gulp!) children, and James is the last (that I know about) to have been born in Edinburgh; later ones were all born in Derby.

STG

7Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:34 pm

SmallTownGirl

vron wrote:1851
i was looking at this family for david but you have different parents???

Person: WOOD, David
Address: 3, Skinners Close House Left Hand, Skinners Close House Left Hand, Edinburgh

WOOD, John Head Married M 51 1800 Post Runner
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Mary Wife Married F 51 1800
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Anabella Daughter Unmarried F 22 1829 Book Folder
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, David Son Unmarried M 17 1834 Lithographic Printer
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Mary Daughter F 13 1838 Book Folder
Kirkaldy Fifeshire
WOOD, Catherine Daughter F 11 1840 Scholar
Beith Ayrshire

Piece:685 Folio:22 Page:15 Registration District:

I've seen this one now and think it seems more likely than the one with parents of James and Rachel.

For the 1841 census, Ancestry is throwing up a David living in Dunfermline with Alex age 35, Margaret age 40 and Andrew 10. Alex is a B.smith (blacksmith, presumably). So although the dates and county are right, it doesn't seem like the correct family to me.

Can't find anything on FamilySearch that looks like a birth for David though, and I haven't psyched myself up to tackle ScotlandsPeople yet.

STG

8Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 am

davidww

SmallTownGirl wrote:......snipped......

I've looked on FamilySearch, but can't find a birth for David that leaps out and screams THIS IS THE ONE, although there is a suitable marriage (1855 in Edinburgh for David and Mary); and a number of possible births/christenings in Kirkcubrightshire for Mary.

.....snipped......

Note that an 1855 marriage registration in Scotland gives the places of birth of the couple. This might help your research.

This place of birth info was dropped from 1856 onwards.

dww

9Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:30 pm

vron

thats useful to know David - though i dont have any scots ancestors - irish and welsh instead.

STG
this is your davids family in 1841 i think
WOOD, John M 40 1801 Post Office Runner Scotland
WOOD, Mary F 40 1801 Scotland
WOOD, Anabella F 12 1829 Scotland
WOOD, David M 7 1834 Scotland
WOOD, Catherine F 2 1839 Scotland

Address:
31, West Side Of Blackfriars Wynd, West Side Of Blackfriars Wynd, Edinburgh

10Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 pm

vron

this could be anabella's birth - from IGI

ANABELLA WOOD Female
Birth: 12 MAR 1829 Abbotshall, Fife, Scotland

Parents:
Father: JOHN WOOD
Mother: MARY ALEXANDER

this other baptism goes with same parents

Name: Joanna Wood
Birth Date: 08 Aug 1831
Birthplace: ABBOTSHALL,FIFE,SCOTLAND
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11399-8
Source Film Number: 993525

11Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm

davidww

vron wrote:is this them in 1861
WOOD, David Head Married M 27 1834 Printer Lithographer Jour
Kirkcaldy Fife
WOOD, Mary Wife Married F 24 1837
Galloway Galloway
WOOD, John Son Unmarried M 5 1856
Edinr Midlothian
WOOD, Wm Son Unmarried M 3 1858
Edinr Midlothian
WOOD, David Son Unmarried M 1 1860
Edinr Midlothian

.....snipped......

These are the matching kids from IGI on www.familysearch.org, -

Parents David WOOD and Mary ANDERSON

JOHN WOOD b. 18 SEP 1855 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
WILLIAM WOOD b. 26 JAN 1858 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
DAVID WOOD b. 18 OCT 1859 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
MARY WOOD b. 19 SEP 1861 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
JANET WOOD b. 07 FEB 1863 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
JAMES WOOD b. 17 APR 1865 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian
(Died 30Oct1865, of mainly pertussis, i.e. whooping cough)
JAMES WOOD b. 17 MAY 1866 Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian

There's a double "1855 bonus" here in terms of the 1885 birth of wee John and the 1855 marriage of his parents David WOOD and Mary ANDERSON.

The 1855 birth of John shows his father David as a Journeyman Lithographer, 22, b, Kirkcaldy, and Mary as 18, born Galloway, this being her first child.

The 1855 marriage shows David as a 21 yeasr old painter, b. Kirkcaldy, parents John WOOD, Shoemaker, and Mary ALEXANDER; and Mary as an 18 yr old servant b. Annwick (probably Alnwick in Galloway), parents William ANDERSON, Spireat Mershant [sic] (presumably Spirit Merchant].

Both parents's births are shown as "Not Registered" meaning that they wob't appear in the OPR.

dww

12Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Empty Re: Scottish records - how to crack 'em! Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:13 pm

SmallTownGirl

Oh thanks for all this people. I've been flitting about for the last few days and not able to settle back down to the Woods of Scotland. Hope to get back to them at the weekend though.

cheers cheers
STG

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum