History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Address in 1901 - who was living there?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Address in 1901 - who was living there? Empty Address in 1901 - who was living there? Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm interested in a property and have found it in 1911. Unfortunately the occupant Hugh Cholmeley is living elsewhere in 1901.
He must have been a very nice man as he listed all his servants before his wife and himself Like a Star @ heaven

The address was Kingsdown House in Swindon Wilts. It was knocked down years ago to build the crematorium but my father remembers the family who lived there before the war.

Can anyone find who was living there in 1901 and maybe further back? Not sure when the house was built but the stone entrance pillars are still there either side of the driveway.

Thank you Smile

SmallTownGirl

Hi Tourmie

Any idea which parish it's in or the name of the road it's on? Any clues from the 1911 census?

STG

SmallTownGirl

Ooo!

Is this it in 1901? If so, will see if I can find 1891 and then backwards etc

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7814&iid=WILRG13_1903_1904-0295

STG

SmallTownGirl

Blimey STG you have been busy!

Yes you have the right house bounce

Thanks so much for finding all that. Goes way back doesn't it. Brilliant you were able to find it on every census.

The 1911 census said it had 18 rooms. Wish it was still standing today. I haven't seen a photograph of it but I did find a couple of colour drawings someone who used to live there had posted.

I actually have another couple of queries but can't think how to word them so they make sense Laughing If I don't understand what I'm asking I can't expect anyone else to!

Last edited by Tourmie on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rounding orff)

SmallTownGirl

Oh, I enjoyed that. Nice when a plan comes together, isn't it?

Am out all day tomorrow, but should be around tomorrow evening and most of Wednesday and Thursday if you've got more things/people to hunt for.

Night.
STG

My father will be really interested in who lived there before. It was a Colonel that lived there before the war so the house had some esteemed occupants.

Will be out tomorrow myself (birthday treat weather permitting!) but will get my head together and put those couple of queries on Smile

Might just be the one as the other is rather vague and likely to involve living people tho I doubt any of them are on here!

Will see Cool

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum