History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Naming patterns

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Naming patterns Empty Naming patterns Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 am

Back from a soggy week in Yorkshire and trying again to progress backwards from James and/or Sarah Hinchliffe nee Wood and was wondering if naming patterns would be a clue?

Like would the eldest son or daughter be named after a parent or grandparent?

I know it isn't a hard and fast rule but wondered how common or traditional it was in those days - late 1700's early 1800's.

Their eldest son was Mark and whilst I have the name further down going back it doesn't seem to help any - like I can't find a Mark H who could have been James father. Other boys were Thomas and George.

Any thoughts appreciated Smile

2Naming patterns Empty Re: Naming patterns Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:36 pm

SmallTownGirl

And I'm back from a fairly damp week in The Lakes. Sad

Does this help?

http://www.genealogy.com/35_donna.html

STG

Edited to say: I'm doing some indexing for the Family Search website and think they still have some Lancashire PRs to be indexed/make public. So, it's possible that the PRs for your peeps just haven't been indexed/made public yet.

3Naming patterns Empty Re: Naming patterns Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:34 pm

Price we pay for having holidays so late in the year Sad
I asked if one cemetery could mark some plots for me (no headstones with my lot) and now know where Sarah son Mark and daughter Charlotte are buried. It was quite moving to find them and know where they are resting.

Thanks for that link very interesting. If only it were that simple I would know exactly who I was looking for next.

The only one that might pan out is Thomas second son being named after his maternal grandfather. Never found any baptisms for the 4 youngest children which is odd as the first 5 were all done and dusted.

Don't have any Lancashire folk I don't think but keep up the good work study

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum