History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Research site

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Research site Empty Research site Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:09 am

siamesewillow

Advice please. I need to subscibe to a site again. In the past its always been ancestry.co.uk which I'm used to. But what advantages has Find My Past,

Any advice would be helpful

siamese

2Research site Empty Re: Research site Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 pm

I've only ever had ancestry too siamese but FMP does seem to have the knack of producing whatever we can't find. Probably works the other way round too.

However vron commented recently about not keeping FMP so hopefully will see this and elucidate!

My local library has recently switched from ancestry to FMP.

3Research site Empty Re: Research site Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:01 pm

vron

i think it is a matter of personal preference . I had always had ancestry but with the 1911 being on fmp i thought i would change this year. as you know i dont llike it. yes i think i have found things not found on ancestry but i am sure it works the other way round too - things are found on ancestry that cant be found on FMP. Occasionally when looking for people in census which have already been given by other researchers using ancestry i cant find them easily.

things i dont like about fmp are :

on front general search page you can only specify name and dob and that will bring up everyone in all bmd , census etc. then when you select a year of census you can refine place of birth and other things. once you have finished with that census and go into another you have to refine it again (if that makes sense) .

i dont seem to find things as easily as i did in ancestry . it always seems to take longer to go through all the census and other records .

In ancestry once you have one census transcript open it puts up suggestions for other census/bmd down the side - sometime this has been useful and found other census i hadnt found - though other times it is a complete red herring.

i also use ancestry to store my private tree and you can add the census etc direct to that which i like. ( though i am very careful and dont just add their hints or merge things without very careful checks)

advantages of FMP - yoou can search census on occupation which can be useful and also search census by address.

i will be glad to change back at end of dec but you might get on fine with it.

4Research site Empty Re: Research site Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm

siamesewillow

Thanks Vron and Tourmie,

Sounds like ancestry have won. Gloucester family history have free access to Find My Past when necessary.

siamese

5Research site Empty Re: Research site Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:09 am

siamesewillow

Just out of interest I see the libraries also have free access to "Find My Past"

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum