History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

James Williams.....................

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1James Williams..................... Empty James Williams..................... Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:28 am

siamesewillow

Do I have the correct James Williams?

The Williams are on my Mother's side.

My Great Grandfather x 2 was James Williams 1801- 1871 Olveston, he married Mary Woodward in 1844. I do have the marriage certificate. Father James Williams. On the 1851 census His father is living with them ( James junior now has 5 children, 5 more to come) On the 1841 census father and son are living together.
Should mention the Williams were all farmers.
Working on this information I gather that James Williams was still alive in 1851 so I obtained a death certificate showing James, senior died in 1856 age 84, farmer, Joseph Williams, Alveston, present So according to the certificate James would of been born in 1774.

Now the problem
According to several trees on ancestry James was born 1767 and died 1816. So do I have the correct James? am I wrong? I have James as been married to Mary Thomas in 1897. Maybe that is wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated,
siamese

2James Williams..................... Empty Re: James Williams..................... Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Working on this information I gather that James Williams was still alive in 1851 so I obtained a death certificate showing James, senior died in 1856 age 84, farmer, Joseph Williams, Alveston, present So according to the certificate James would of been born in 1774.

So first question do we know who Joseph present at the death was?  
Is there an address on the certificate that matches the 1851 census so we know it's the same man?
James Williams is quite a common name.

In my experience trees can be notoriously wrong so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage if info differs from yours.

3James Williams..................... Empty Re: James Williams..................... Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:03 pm

vron

as you say james senior is with his son and family in 1851. that gives his birth as 1772. the 1841 census gives his birth as 1771 so fairly consistent.

I aslos note that some of the trees on ancestry with the other dates have him as james atwood williams

4James Williams..................... Empty Re: James Williams..................... Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:39 am

siamesewillow

Hi

There is no address on the death certificate, on the original copy of the 1851 census can find no address accept at the bottom the writing looks like end of Tockington, the villages run into each other. As to Joseph ( made a slight mistake says Olveston on the certificate not Alveston)
There are a few Josephs in the family, James had a son called Joseph born 1806, also the oldest Grandson is called Joseph born 1843, James junior's son and my Great Grandfather x 1, but he would of been only 13. The first Joseph was not a farmer and do not know much about him.

Thanks

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum