History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Richard 3 to be buried in Leicest

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Richard 3 to be buried in Leicest Empty Richard 3 to be buried in Leicest Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:23 am

mckay1402

Admin

Well whatever you think of the much maligned King he continues to spark argument long after his death.  Here the Bishop of Leicester seems positive his remains will...remain in Leicester.  Let us know your thoughts on whether he should go to York or stay in the East Midlands.  

BBC website wrote:The Bishop of Leicester has said there is "no doubt in his mind" Richard III will be reburied in the city.

When bones were discovered under a car park in the city, the government granted an exhumation licence to the University of Leicester.

But the Plantagenet Alliance - distant relatives of Richard III - want him buried in York, and have won a judicial review into the decision.

The Right Reverend Tim Stevens said he should rest close to "where he fell".

The king, who reigned from 1483, was killed in the final battle of the Wars of the Roses at Bosworth field in Leicestershire in 1485.

The skeleton was found under the car park in 2012 and the Ministry of Justice granted a licence to the university to excavate the bones and decide where they should be reburied.

The university eventually chose Leicester Cathedral, where detailed plans for his tomb were later drawn up.

But the Plantagenet Alliance wants him reinterred in York Minster, claiming that was Richard's wish. The judicial review won by the alliance will decide whether the granting of the original licence was legally correct.

Bishop Stevens said: "I think that as the court concentrates on the central question, which is 'where do human remains that have been disinterred belong?', the answer is in the nearest consecrated ground, the place of discovery.

"I'm sure that's the decision that we will obtain, we just have to wait for it."

"This is the natural outcome of the story and I believe it will be the outcome," he added.

https://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum