History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Advice please

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Advice please Empty Advice please Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:50 am

siamesewillow

Amy Ellen Scriven born 1879 Almondsbury Gloucestershire. Parents Winchcomb William and Elizabeth Ann Scriven.  Sometimes Scriven is spelt with in instead of en,

In 1897 Amy marries Edward Alway born 1868 Olvesteon.  They have a daughter Edith Maud born 1898, sadly Edward dies in 1898.

On the 1901/1911 census Edith is living with her Grandparents.

In 1900 Amy gets married to William Daniel Mccoy born 1875.  The marriage is in Evesham Worcestershire where Amy has been working as a Domestic servant.. They also have a daughter Ellen Elizabeth Ann born 1901, again sadly William dies in 1903.

In 1907 Amy remarries to a Joseph Harrison in Kent, she has Ellen Elizabeth with her and has another 5 children.

Now the problem,  I have the baptism details for Amy and her 9 siblings naming Winchomb and Elizabeth as the parents.

Also have the marriage details regarding the marriage of Amy and Edward Alway.
"Name: Edward Alway
Birth Date: 1871
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Amy Ellen Scrivin
Spouse's Birth Date: 1879
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 18
Event Date: 17 Jul 1897
Event Place: St. Peter'S, Almondsbury, Gloucester, England
Father's Name: Edward Alway
Mother's Name:
Spouse's Father's Name: Winchcomb William Scrivin
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I03858-8"

Vistited the archives at Worcester and found the marriage (I think) for William and Amy Mccoy.  But no father was named and she is classed as single.  My first re action was I had the wrong Amy until I saw the witnesses, one of the witnesses was Amy's sister Edith Mary Scriven.   My friend who was with me was sure she was not Winchcomb's daughter but he is named on the baptism also on the 1911 census for Winchcomb and Elizabeth it states they 10 children and 1 died.

My thoughts go along the line that when she became a widow the first time she needed a job, not easy then with a child, so left daughter with parents and found a living in job and told her Employer she was single. She ended up in Evesham and everyone thought she was single and maybe William did?  but her family must of known to have Edith Mary as witness.  

"Name: Amy Ellen Alway

Event Type: Marriage

Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep

Registration Year: 1900

Registration District: Evesham

County: Worcestershire

Event Place: Evesham, Worcestershire, England

Spouse Name (available after 1911):

Volume: 6C

Page: 575

Line Number: 329"

Any ideas