History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm

SmallTownGirl

So, here I am, all ready to help ...  bounce  bounce  

What's to do?  Smile

27A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Thank you bounce

I'll carry on with it here in case you need to refer back.

The problem now is Charles Hann who married Charlotte Parsons doesn't put a father on their marriage certificate.

There are 2 Charles Hann born 1817 Holnest one son of John and one son of Isaac.

Vron found a marriage for the Charles son of Isaac to a Hannah but is our Charles son of John or a n other Question

He should be son of John but if so why doesn't he put him as his father?

I should stress on the marriage certificate there isn't a line through the father box it's just left completely blank.

28A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:58 pm

SmallTownGirl

I'm a little confused Question  (aiming for masterly understatement Laughing )

Summary of confusions:

1.  There are 2x Charles Hanns, both bp. 1817 in Holnest (seen them on FS)
2.  One is s/o Isaac, other is s/o John.
3.  We have Isaac's son's marriage, so that effectively eliminates him from our enquiries.
4.  We have a marriage for a Charles Hann which gives no father's name.
5.  So we're wondering is No.4 is "your" Charles or possibly a third Charles?

Questions:

A - What's the date of the marriage in No. 4?  Do witness names help?
B - What did names did your Charles give to his children - was there a John and/or a Phoebe?

I looked on FreeReg for marriages in Dorset for a Charles Hann and got three results:

1794 @ Stoke Abbott, bride was Phillis Seal - way too early to be your man.
1835 @ Yetminster, bride was Eliza Bartlett
1844 @ Gillingham, bride was Charlotte Martin; groom was only 20 and his father was Richard Hann, so that's not your man.

So ruling the first and third out, that leaves the second one - in 1835.  

Have I got this completely around my neck?   Embarassed

29A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:17 pm

SmallTownGirl

Just discovered the Dorset OPC website ....

http://www.opcdorset.org/

... but I suppose you already knew about that Very Happy

30A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:19 pm

A

Marriage
10 March 1845

Witnesses
John Hann & Mary Hann

B

Henry
Emily
Henrietta

31A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:16 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:A

Marriage
10 March 1845

Witnesses
John Hann & Mary Hann

B

Henry
Emily
Henrietta

Well, that's not very helpful of them, is it?  Rolling Eyes

Will have a think, but don't hold your breath, please.  I could be some time .... Very Happy

32A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:01 pm

SmallTownGirl

Could witness John be his father/brother, and witness Mary his step-mother/sister-in-law ?

[Kinda told you it would hardly be worth waiting for, didn't I? Embarassed  ]

Where are they all on the 1851 census?

STG

33A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:46 am

John and Phoebe had died before 1841 so can't be father John.

I did find a baptism of a Mary Ann in 1814 Holnest to John & Phoebe and trees also have a John 1812 so as siblings of Charles they could be the witnesses.

Will check who John married, I found it yesterday but don't think it was a Mary. However he did name his father when he married. Hmmm.

34A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:59 am

Right we have son John marrying Ann Eliza Willis in 1850.
No Hann witnesses. Father John labourer does not say deceased.

Tree says he then rode on horseback from Dorset to Kent (as you do)

Not sure that's right though because although it say full age on the marriage and bachelor if he was born 1812......

Better find them in 1851. Did they count people on horseback on the census?

35A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 am

1861 says children born Wye Dorset but 1871 says children born Wye Kent.

No

1871 Wye Kent

John Hann  59
Ann P Hann  41
John Hann  15
Mary E Hann  12
George Hann  10
William Hann  8
Edwin C Hann  5
Elizabeth Hann  3

36A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:07 pm

SmallTownGirl

I'm not really being much use at all, but have been through Holnest baptisms on Dorset OPC and see there are five to a Charles/Charlotte pair:

Emily Ellen, bp. 22 Aug 1847
Henry Parsons, bp. 22 Aug 1847
Annaretta*, bp. 23 Aug 1849
John, bp. 8 Oct 1854
Isaac, bp 8 Apr 1860

*perhaps this is supposed to be Henrietta ?

Re Charles not naming his father on his marriage cert.  I suppose it could be just that the vicar didn't write it in, rather than Charles not having a father to name/denying his father.

37A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma - Page 2 Empty Re: A Double Barrelled Dorset Dilemma Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:07 pm

* yes I think she is Henrietta

Oh dear for John and Isaac - I did have those two down but took them off again because only these 3 children
Henry
Emily
Henrietta
are with Charles and Charlotte on census.

I think we'll take the line of least resistance and put it down to his fathers name simply not being put down!

Thanks for working on it Like a Star @ heaven

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2