History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who do you think you are new series

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Who do you think you are new series - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are new series Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:22 pm

SmallTownGirl

Saw the Mark Gatiss episode last night.

Didn't take to him at all, and didn't find the episode at all interesting. Rolling Eyes

Bring on Frances de la Tour.  bounce

27Who do you think you are new series - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are new series Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:33 pm

vron

been away a lot recently but finally last night caught up with all the WDYTYA. thought Frank Gardner and Anita Rani the best programmes yet. Anne Reid was odd and like you couldn't take to Mark Gatiss last night.

28Who do you think you are new series - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are new series Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:43 pm

SmallTownGirl

Frances de la Tour episode.  

Some interesting info, but didn't take to her personally. Think I was expecting her to be witty and laconic, but she was neither (IMHO).

Also found the beginning v.confusing - running through the tree that granddad had prepared at the speed of light, all those de la Tours/de latours/delatours/de la vals/delavels, change of name, etc.  Quite made my head spin.

And on a general point, lots of these WDYTYA people are educated, but appear to know nothing about the past and how people lived.  I don't just mean their own family history, I mean they know nothing of history, of illnesses, of social attitudes, of living conditions, of anything.  

To me, Frances seemed to grasp the importance/significance of money, saying a couple of times, "Oh that would have been a large sum of money back then", but didn't really seem to understand the social ignominy attached to an unmarried woman, let alone that the woman was a minor aristocrat, having an illegitimate baby back in the late 1700s.  I thought her "things were different back then" (or words to that effect) was just a way of passing it off without realising the true significance to the woman or, indeed, to the woman's family.

Not sure I've expressed this very well.

29Who do you think you are new series - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are new series Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:03 pm

Seen it now and she scared me a bit even when she was being nice. Only know her from "Miss Jones" and was more interested in her brother as sure have seen him in something before Laughing

Yes I see what you're getting at but I think sometimes the editing can alter how we perceive reactions and stuff. I've re watched a lot of the old episodes and sometimes they leave stuff out I've seen before which puts a different slant on how you see the people involved respond and what exactly they are responding to.

Not that good a series on the whole. I don't think the old episodes can ever be beaten No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2