History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mckay1402 - a bit about me

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Mckay1402 - a bit about me Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm

mckay1402

Admin

Ok I'll introduce myself (I know according to British tradition I should have done this first). I am (probably) half Welsh and (definitely)half Scottish.

My historical interests are varied and wide. They start with the ancient stuff...I am very interested in the holy land and how we can find history in ancient myths (such as Schliemann finding Troy by using the Iliad). I am fascinated by any period where society is in transition or turmoil such as the first world war or the period directly after the Romans left Britain.

I am also very interested in sports history. Specifically Rugby and Boxing.

My motivation for starting this forum is because I believe that history is extremely important for explaining many of the situations in the world now. We never learn our lessons and it's very interesting as a casual student of history to see the same mistakes being made. Possibly my dark sense of humour at play there...

I have been looking into my family history now for about two years. I've made a fair bit of progress but there are definite blank spots.

Anyway enough from me. Please introduce yourselves and let us know what floats your trireme

https://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk

IgorStrav

Hello all, I used to frequent the BBC Family History board, and then moved more or less permanently over the road to Rootschat.

I'm interested in Family History and have been building my tree for a number of years, and I also enjoy assisting other people in their research.

I'm very interested in the social history surrounding my family in the various parts of the country where they originate.

Very good luck to this board and to all its members Smile

3Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Re: Mckay1402 - a bit about me Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:11 am

mckay1402

Admin

Thanks Igor and welcome to the board. I hope to see you posting plenty about your family in time.

4Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Re: Mckay1402 - a bit about me Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:44 pm

clematised

I am Edna and had been a member of BBC Family History board since Jan 2006 and thouroughly enjoyed looking in and chatting and meeting new friends, some I have met personally and some have become good friends, and hope to make many more with this hobby of mine.
I have many brick walls but I am only doing direct lines as I find it too hard to research Welsh names, of Williams, Hughes, Jones, LLoyd, so I keep my tree short and concise.

I do have Hughes on one farm back to late 1700s and Williams back to Llanfaelog 1790 so not too bad.

My Harrisons (Quaker)go back to mid 1700s in Whitehaven, and my Connings/Wilson to Kirkcudbright pre 1800.

I am not thorough in my tree storage and worry one day it will all be binned or lost in cyber space as no one is interested in my family.

5Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Re: Mckay1402 - a bit about me Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:36 pm

My interest in family history started 5 years ago when I left my job after 25 years and had some time on my hands.
My main fascination is the great great grandfather who hailed from Huddersfield but came to Swindon to work in the railway around 1850. I have traced his parents who were born in the late 1790's and almost all his siblings but no further back with any degree of certainty.
My other side come from Gloucestershire/Wiltshire.
I enjoy looking up the streets and places people lived and visiting where possible - and where the houses are still standing.

6Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Re: Mckay1402 - a bit about me Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:21 pm

davidww

mckay1402 wrote:Ok I'll introduce myself (I know according to British tradition I should have done this first). I am (probably) half Welsh and (definitely)half Scottish.

.....much snipped..........

Hi James

Are you quite sure about the Scottish link ? <g>

3 of 4 'Scottish' trees I've traced for folk in the last couple of weeks
go back to Ulster in the mid/early 1800s.

OK, before that there may be a 'Plantation' link back to Scotland.

Orraverybest

David

7Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Re: Mckay1402 - a bit about me Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:54 am

mckay1402

Admin

Yes admittedly there are loads of links to Ireland in my family tree. Not sure about Ulster but certainly 3/4 of my Scottish family appear to come from Ireland initially. I'll put the family names up for you to see.

8Mckay1402 - a bit about me Empty Re: Mckay1402 - a bit about me Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:00 pm

mckay1402

Admin

Ok I've got the maddens, the Welsh, the Higgins and the Pauls all from Ireland in the mid nineteenth century. At least one branch is definitely Scottish...the McKay

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum