History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hannah Milson........................................................

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

siamesewillow

Would love to find where and who my Great Grandmother's parents were.

Hannah Milson born 1765 (according to her death certificate) where? Hannah died in 1848 Bristol.

In 1803 she married my Great Grand father x 4 George Coole 1775-1828, he was born in Bristol and was a soap boiler.

Milson's surname could be Milsom and that is a well known surname in Gloucestershire/Bath. Also on ancestry there is a family tree with a Hannah Milson born 1774 in St Bravel, which is in the forest of Dean. There is also a family tomb there but not that sure if its the same Hannah. Surely Hannah would of been buried along with her husband in Bristol.

Know I'm asking alot, but would appreciate any help.

siamese

SmallTownGirl

On FamilySearch I've found the marriage in 1803 in Bitton, but there's also one on 27 June 1804 in Bitton between a Hannah Milson and a George Cool. [probably not what you wanted to hear Sad]

Then also on FS, on the 1841 census she's down as Hannah Wilson, so wondered if you'd tried searching for her as Wilson rather than Milson/m? [edited: just realised that in 1841 she's be Hannah Cool/e, so this can't be here, but the theory about her being transcribed before she got married as Wilson still holds good, I think.]

I see in 1851 there's a 4yo Hannah living in Bitton. Is that Hannah senior's daughter?

Not sure that any of what I've just put helps at all.

STG

Last edited by SmallTownGirl on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Is she born "in county" in 1841?

And wouldn't she be under Coole in 1841?

Last edited by Tourmie on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total

siamesewillow

STG, Sorry wrong marriage year, its was 1804 not 1803, another senior moment The Coole surname was often without a "e"

siamese

SmallTownGirl

But there's a 1803 and a 1804 marriage between a Hannah Milson and a George Cool, both in Bitton. Is that two couples, or just FS transcribing info incorrectly.

Think I've read somewhere that if you quote batch numbers etc you can order the actual images from FS free. Might be worth a look? [edited to say: Clematised seems to know about how to do this]

STG

siamesewillow

Tourmie, Just checked the 1841 census where she is living with son George, Born in Gloucestershire parish St Philip and St Jacob which is Bristol. How out is the 1841 census as according to the 1841 census she is only 65 while in 1848 she is 83.

siamese

SmallTownGirl

Gotta go out now. Dentist appointment Sad

Be back later to catch up.

STG

siamesewillow

STG, The date I have is 27th June, have checked George's details as I had written to the Bristol and Bath FH and received this reply

B&AFHS..George COOL (no E) married Hannah MILSOM (spelling in photocopy of original is quite clear) on 27 June 1803. Both signed with a cross as did one witness, John Price. The other witness signed John Wright, but as he signed a lot he was probably the verger or some such rather than immediate family or close friend. Both were 'of this parish....

So must of been 1803. Their first child John was born in 1804 (not that that means anything)

Thanks

siamese

Right I see it thanks.

Is the 1848 Bristol death the one under Hannah Cole? Presume you have the certificate with her age 83 and are sure this is the right Hannah Cool

Oh STG my worst nightmare good luck flower

First child named John that could be clue. Named after his father or hers.

siamesewillow

Not sure about that, Tourmie, the youngest son was called George.

John born 1804
William b 1806
Sarah b 1808
Hannah b 1810
George b 1812

siamese

siamesewillow

Although the Coole is spelt Cole on death certificate the other bits fit in for example on son John's marriage certificate it states that his father George was a soap maker boiler, same on Hannah's death certificate her husband George was a soap boiler, also daughter Sarah was present at her death.

siamese

That looks pretty safe to be her then siamese apart from the age. I guess daughter should have known how old her mother was but ages were often out in those days.
I have one myself that aged alarmingly from 1841 to death in 1843 tho not as much as Hannah appears to have done.

This fits more with the age in 1841 but there's a Hannah Milsom Christening St George Bristol 8 September 1775 parents Thomas and Mary.
Actually there are 3 entries the other two give date 3 September 1775 same parents.

Just doing the maths and we're about 10 years out aren't we so perhaps she was really 73 not 83 when she died.

I was working out if she would have been too old to have the last child if born 1865 but 47 is possible.

I see George was born 1775 so whilst she could have been 10 years older I think it more likely she was born same year.

SmallTownGirl

FS gets its info from both the parish Marriage books and the parish Banns books, so my theory about the two marriage dates is:

1. The one listed as 1 May 1803 is the date of the third reading of the Banns.

2. The one listed as 27 Jun 1804 is the correct date for the marriage, except for the fact that the 4 (in 1804) is a typo, and it should be 1803.

Does that make sense?

STG

Edited: Just check-up and hygienist visit today, but think an extraction is looming large on my dental horizon. Ugh affraid

SmallTownGirl

Going back to Bitton, where Hannah and George were married, there is a burial on FS of a Thomas Milsom on 13 Mar 1821in Bitton, Glos; and of a Mary Milsom on 2 Jul 1822 also in Bitton.

Any use, do you think?

STG

siamesewillow

Poor you, hate dentists.

So her parents could well be Thomas and Mary, plus burials looks good. Also noticed on the correspondence with the B&AFH that the surname is Milsom not Milson.

Thanks again STG and Tourmie,

siamese

siamesewillow

Found two marriages, but which one?

Name: Thomas Milsom
Spouse's Name: Mary Stone
Event Date: 14 Aug 1768
Event Place: Saint George,Bristol,Gloucester
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M15080-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 942.38 K29CH

Name: Thomas Milsom
Spouse's Name: Mary Harding
Event Date: 13 Nov 1768
Event Place: Saint George,Bristol,Gloucester,England

Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M15080-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 942.38 K29CH

SmallTownGirl

> two marriages

Just what you didn't want!

siamesewillow

Will have to visit the Bristol Records, anyway I'll put a request on rootschat but each time I put a parish record look up I get very response.

Thanks

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum