History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Double barrels

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Double barrels Empty Double barrels Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm checking some research done some time ago when I was new to this and prone to making mistakes (well more prone than I am now Laughing )

My husbands family name is Parsons-Hann and family rumour was a Parsons and a Hann got together and produced a little P-H without being married.
However I did find a Charles Hann marrying a Charlotte Parsons in 1845 and having a son Henry P-H later in 1845. Combining the names as they did but legitimately because they were married. Most went by Hann only so don't know exactly when the hyphen crept in but they had the Parsons as a middle name.

Anyway I was just looking for Charles and I found a criminal register of him doing something to a cow silent I think it says "maiming or harming" but something is written before that "mal Question " He was 26 and this was in Dorset end of 1844.

Appreciate any comments on this and of course about the cow.

2Double barrels Empty Re: Double barrels Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 am

SmallTownGirl

Can you post a link to the cow, pls? Smile Edited: Found it. Can see "Bill [something] ignoramus", but no idea what it means! On another sheet it says "Maliciously maiming a cow" and that he was acquitted. Think the ignoramus bit means that the court decided not to proceed with the case (or summat), which resulted in the acquittal. But there are 2-3 other convictions for the same chap in other records, including one for stealing a fence! Interesting to see others on the page arrested for "being idle" etc.

Growing up, I thought that double-barrelled names were only for posh people, but since I've been doing the indexing for the Family Search website, it's obvious going way back that "even" the children of labourers were given their mother's maiden name as a middle name. Presumably some just used it as a middle name, but for others it got worked into their future surname, either deliberately by the person concerned or else that's the way it was scribed by the literate folks who wrote things down for the illiterate ones. [does that make sense?]

I helped a friend, surname Ball-Wood, with his tree and found that the Ball came from the middle name of an illegimate child (Cyril James Ball Wood, b.1908). We assume that a Mr Ball, possibly even a Mr James Ball, was the child's father, but the birth certificate is silent on the matter. Some of Cyril's children use/used Ball-Wood, but others have, apparently, dropped the Ball (geddit? bounce).

And I used to work with someone who had a double-barrelled name, but didn't use a hyphen. 'pose it's just what one's particular family dictates.

Now't so queer as folk, eh?

STG

3Double barrels Empty Re: Double barrels Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Oh dear he must have stolen the fence to get at the cow silent
There are some strange crimes listed aren't there, some pretty unsavoury too.

Yes it seems common to give mothers maiden name as a middle name and, as you say, it then gets worked into the surname. These people were farm labourers in the midst of Dorset. We went there once to look for some places they lived and one place wasn't even on the map but by some miracle we came upon it in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing there not even a house just fields (no cows)

A double barrel without using the hyphen that's a strange one!

Dropped the ball now that is funny Basketball

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum