History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Joseph the engine driver

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Joseph the engine driver  Empty Joseph the engine driver Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Here's a little pickle to sort out.

I'm having another look at Joseph Swindells (various spellings) born 1826 Newton Cheshire who was the pirat father of Lewis Hinchliffe mother Charlotte.
Lewis born 1849 Huddersfield no father on birth cert.
However on marriage cert he puts father Joseph Hinchliffe engine driver of which I found no such man.

Found Lewis in 1871 lodging with a Joseph Swindells (under Spiedell) in Grimsby who was an engine driver. Bells started to ring. In a 1881 census Grimsby I found with Joseph and his wife a granddaughter Esther J Hinchliffe who was a daughter of Lewis. Bells ring louder.

Anyway today I find Joseph in 1911 widowed (he married a Fanny) age 85 retired engine driver down as brother Shocked to Jonathan Hinchliffe 80 retired engine driver and wife Mary 82 married 60 years.

Presume he is her brother not his but oh dear is that just an uncanny coincidence with the name or has something gone horribly wrong.

If anyone understood all that I am looking to sort out the 1911 brother relationship please scratch

2Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am

vron

it took s while to find him in 1911 at first - Joseph Sivinelells!!!!!

I think he is brother in law but just put down as brother. can see him in other census and it seems certain he is a swindells. he is living with brother peter swindells in 1851.

3Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 10:02 am

SmallTownGirl

Er ... not quite understanding how Joseph Swindells (various spellings) can be the father of Lewis Hinchliffe? And when you say "mother Charlotte", do you mean that Charlotte was Lewis' mother? confused

4Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 am

Phew for him being the brother in law that is a relief!

I've now found a marriage in Aston 1850 Jonathan Hinchliffe Mary Swindles so that confirms it. Brother Peter is another one to add on thanks vron.

It's very complicated STG but to try and clarify my ramblings...

Charlotte Hinchliffe (never married but had two sons) had a son Lewis in October 1849. No father on birth cert.
However on Lewis marriage cert he puts father "Joseph Hinchliffe engine driver"

Never found a Joseph H engine driver so assumed he was made up.

However when looking for Lewis I found him in 1871 Grimbsy lodging with a Joseph who was an engine driver. The said Joseph Swindells.

It gets even better in 1881 when Joseph has granddaughter Esther J Hinchliffe with him Very Happy Esther was one of Lewis children so confirms Joseph was Lewis father.

I can't place Joseph in Huddersfield in order to meet Charlotte and father Lewis but the evidence is there. Would love to know the full story. Clearly Lewis knew his father and indeed seems to have spent more time with him.

Charlotte died in 1857.

5Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 10:58 am

vron

well in 1851 he is in Sheffield so not too far away

Name:
Joseph Swindill
[Joseph Swindells]

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1827
Relation:Brother
Where born:Newton Moor, Cheshire, England
Civil parish:Brightside Bierlow
Ecclesiastical parish:Pitsmoor
County/Island:Yorkshire
Registration district:Sheffield
Sub-registration district:Brightside

Peter Swindill 29
Eliza Swindill 29
Joseph Swindill 24
John Platt 26
Bradley Hatton 21

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2342; Folio: 237; Page: 55; GSU roll: 87598-87600.

6Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Oh yes that's closer bounce He probably absconded to his brothers after Charlotte Cool

Not an engine driver there but he is in 1861.
He marries in Sheffield 1859 but is back in Lincolnshire by 1861 with wife and young son.

Never really found Lewis in 1861. Closest we got was the W Hinchliffe age 12 in Mirfield inmate. He may have gone off the rails (no pun intended) when his mother died.

7Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 5:56 pm

SmallTownGirl

Have you got the other son in 1861?

8Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm

Charlottes other son?

No he died in 1842 before he was a year old Sad

9Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 pm

SmallTownGirl

You'd think that with a name like Lewis, he'd just pop out, wouldn't you? But no.

Best suggestion I can come up with is that he's listed as Lewis [surname same as the rest of the household he's living with]. I've tried searching for him as Lewis and Louis, but regret to say that I can't find anything that looks even a bit likely.

Sozza Sad

10Joseph the engine driver  Empty Re: Joseph the engine driver Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 pm

I know and he would only have been 11 in 1861. I know they were shoved out at a young age in those days but still.

Can only think my missing George had him tucked away somewhere or he was out on the streets.

How wonderful would that be to find the two of them together Laughing

Did they round up people with no fixed abode for census or just leave them unaccounted for Question

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]