History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Shaw House Newbury

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Shaw House Newbury Empty Shaw House Newbury Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 am

Here's a little challenge for a wet morning.

I visited this place on the weekend. It was built in 1581 by the clothier Thomas Dolman. In the early 1900's it was owned by a lady called Farquhar.

I thought it would be interesting to try and find the place on the census (not from 1581 obviously!) but am struggling.

I can find a cover page for 1911 The Hon Mrs Farquhar but I can't see the page with names listed that goes with it scratch

I can see a gardener living at Shaw House Lodge London Road in 1911, think the name was Belcher, but am not very good at finding addresses.

Can anyone find The Hon Mrs Farquhar for me please or the address for prev census years to see who was living there.

Thank you Smile

PS The area comes up as Shaw-cum-Donnington Newbury Berks.

2Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:27 pm

vron

not doing very well either but I see we are looking for a Kathleen Farquhar

"Shaw House was purchased by Mrs. Kathleen Farquhar. She had the loggia glazed in and installed electricity in time for 'Country Life' magazine to file a full report on the place in 1910. Like so many other great houses, it was requisitioned, from her grandson, for military billeting during the Second World War."

"1905 Kathleen Farquhar (1850-1935)
1935 Sir Peter Farquhar (1904-86)
1939 Requisitioned

3Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks vron those dates help. Found probate for her Kathleen Mary of Shaw House but on the census Kathleen M Farquhar comes up in London 1911/1901/1891/1881.

I think that must be her hence only a cover page with her name on for Shaw House in 1911 and she wasn't actually living there.....maybe?

4Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm

vron

that's what I was thinking that she was living in London but owned shaw house

5Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 am

vron

some more names of owners

In 1751 Shaw House was bought by Joseph Andrews from London. His son, also called Joseph, inherited Shaw shortly after the purchase, in 1753.

In the 19th century, Shaw House passed to the Reverend Thomas Penrose, and subsequently to Henry Eyre,who lived at Shaw House from 1851 to 1876. In 1905 Shaw House was purchased by the Honourable Mrs Catherine Farquhar

6Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:23 am

vron

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1252; Folio: 97; Page: 6;

Name:Henry Rechd Eyre
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1814
Relation:Head
Spouse's Name:Isabella Cathe Eyre
Where born:North Britton Scota, Perthshire, Scotland
Civil Parish:Shaw cum Donnington

though the source I found said lived there for 20 years in 1851 he and isabelle are in cornwall at his cousins and in 1861 in wiltshire as visitors. his will in 1876 mentions shaw house.

Isabella didn't die until 1904 - she is down as of surrey but suspect she still owned shaw house until then hence the 1905 sale

7Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:30 am

vron

interestingly in 1841 henry appears to be in Canterbury - along with a Thomas penrose who died in 1851

8Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:52 am

SmallTownGirl

There's a thread in another forum about trying to find 335 High Street, Wapping on the 1841 census, and I thought this reply was really interesting:

You cannot do an address search on Ancestry - but you can on Findmypast.

However, if you don't have FMP then you can locate part of the census reference by using the Historial Streets Project (National Archives)
http://yourarchives.nationalarchives...treets_Project

First you need to select the census year - in this case 1841
You then see the 1841 census registration districts.
Work out which registration district you want - in this case Wapping comes under Stepney - and find the Stepney listings.
They are divided into alphabetical streets listings - so in your case you would need W for Wapping High Street - so select Place:Stepney Registration District, 1841 Census Street Index T-Z
Scroll down to Wapping High Street and you will see part of the reference in the right hand columns -
There seems to be six lines for Wapping High Street one of which gives dwelling number mixed 304-end - so in the hope that corresponds to house number I would start there - but you may need to check the others!

So it seems you need HO107/715, Book no. 4, folio 29-32

I haven't tried it for Shaw House (which according to Google is on Church Road), but thought the info might be useful for any of us at some time in the future.

Sorry not to have helped with the Shaw House search, but I've been working all week and this is the first chance I've had to look-in.

cheers peeps
STG

9Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:12 am

Thanks for all the extra info most interesting Smile

I had missed you STG glad you're still with us!

Can't stop as anniversary today and going to visit a NT property Chastleton House.  Never been there before so might be posting to look up some names when I get back queen

10Shaw House Newbury Empty Re: Shaw House Newbury Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:54 pm

SmallTownGirl

I'm still here!

I do some exam invigilating and it's our busy time just at the mo, so don't get as much time as normal to play on the computer.

Am also trying to help a newbie with his family tree, but it's a bit of a nightmare - the family keeps changing surname!  When I've got it a bit more sorted out in my head, I'll post about it here to see what you peeps can find to help.

Have a good weekend and a lovely anniversary.

STG

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum