History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for info on a Public House/Hotel

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for info on a Public House/Hotel Empty Looking for info on a Public House/Hotel Thu May 24, 2012 8:42 pm

clematised

Not sure when this pub was built but it is The Pacific Hotel, Linacre Road Bootle, and hoping someone can find it in the 1911 census and possibly further back. (daughters the manager)its just out of curiosity so dont go to too much effort if it is difficult to find, sometimes it is called Bootle cum Linacre in the census, or may be Litherland?

Thanks

Edna
(its been a while due to illness and busy)

SmallTownGirl

I've tried Pacific Hotel, Linacre Road, but no luck. Then just tried Linacre Road, but the problem with that is that the parish is Bootle cum Linacre, so there are dozens of hits and it's not easy to then find Linacre Road.

May try to have another look when the sun has gone down and it's a bit cooler.

STG

Good to see you Edna hope all is well now Smile

Not sure if I have the right area but Pacific Hotel at 168 Linacre Road parish Litherland has in 1911 a Mrs Frayne household 4 males and 4 females.
I'll see if I can find them proper.

Last edited by Tourmie on Sat May 26, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

Here we go.

Ann Frayne is head a widow aged 45 born Birkenhead
Marella Mellings neice spinster 25 born Birkenhead
and 6 servants - 4 barmen a cook and a housemaid

Let me know if you want to see it and will send you the link.

Pacific Hotel

Ann Frayne widow 36
James Frayne son 14 born Kirkdale Lancs
and 7 servants

Think they are somewhere else tho same occupation. Quite difficult to read address and name of pub but parish is Kirkdale.

Matthew Frayne 31 born Ireland
Annie Frayne 27
2 sons (tho one is transcribed as Agnes!) a nephew and a servant

That's probably way too much information than you were after but better too much than too little I always say Laughing

Last edited by Tourmie on Sat May 26, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : quip)

clematised

Thanks for this info Tourmie

It looks as though this is the Pub http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?encType=1&where1=Bootle%2c+Liverpool%2c+Merseyside&cp=53.455570~-2.987420&FORM=MIRE1
The pub is on Linacre Road/ Alpha Street.

I was talking to my daughter last week about it and she was trying to date a photo on my facebook page but it was recent, and got me thinking about the age of the place.

There is one room upstairs which is still back in the old time and nothing has ever been done here.
The upstairs is totally unused apart from an office and staff kitchen.
I wondered when it first showed up in a census so would need to see the record to get more information if possible.

The family are not the main interest but who ever lived there and to find an age for the pub.

I can one day go to Crosby Library to find all this information but thought a start could be made first in the census.

Sorry for the delay my brother and his wife have been here since Friday and just left for home.

Edna

I like the sound of the old time room upstairs. Anything in there that could be dated like fabrics?

I will have a little dabble in 1891 just to see if luck strikes and I find the address but without knowing who ran it that year won't be as easy.

Have found the beginning of Linacre Road at the end of a census batch but can't see where the rest of it is cyclops

Last edited by Tourmie on Mon May 28, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

Well the good news is it is around in 1891.
The bad news is I don't know how to search for it using the reference numbers found which are RG12/2984 84 Question

If anybody knows where to type them to bring up the record do let me know Cool

SmallTownGirl

On Ancestry if you go to Search and then over on the r/h side choose "old search", then go to census records, 1891 etc .... a way down the form it says RG12/ ... and there are spaces to put other numbers.

The form seems to want three other sets of numbers.

I'd hate you to think I know what I'm talking about here Smile because I often can't make the searches work either.

I shouldn't be here. I should be ironing. Rolling Eyes

STG

clematised

The Census 1911 is brilliant Tourmie thanks for that, I have just phoned daughter and she is really happy so anything else is great, the pics of the sign on the side of the pub gave the building status to save it from the demolition squad as the factory has now gone from the side and is going to be a housing estate.

The address may be on FMP so Moira may be able to check it out, I will send her a message.

Its been so long since I had an Ancestry sub that I have forgotten how to search it.

The room I only saw a glimpse of has wood panelling over half way up and there is skeletal remains of a bird that has been dead for many moons so daughter would not let me see the room because of my dislike for dead birds, fabrics I dont think there are any.

I wish I could see Ancestry right now myself but I would not get the use of it anymore to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for looking and anymore finds would be great Tourmie and STG

Edna

vron

as the others say it is there in 1891
Pacific House, Linacre Road, Litherland

LEWIS, Thomas Head Married M 52 1839 Sawyer Wales
LEWIS, Ellen Wife Married F 48 1843 Wales
LEWIS, Elizabeth Daughter Single F 12 1879 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire
LEWIS, Edith C Daughter Single F 9 1882 Scholar Liverpool, Lancashire

clematised

Thanks Vron,

Thats great as Tourmie can now find it now you have a name and hopefully send me the copy.

There are a Lewis family still drinking there now so this will create a bit of interest with the regulars.

any further back for the pub will be great.

Thanks

Edna

1891 on the way to you Edna. Will see if that family was there in 1881.
Am enjoying this one especially finding the photograph. I just love old buildings.

Thanks for the instructions STG I will try those out and see how I get on!

Well it kind of worked Basketball I put the numbers in and it brought up 60 entries but they all said just Litherland so I would have to click on them all to find the right address (without knowing the name) but that's good enough for me.

clematised

Thanks again Tourmie I have it now, keep on looking and have fun

Edna

clematised

I have been chatting with daughter and she said an old customer once told her many years ago that the pubs nickname The Pie is called that because there used to be a pie shop on the spot where the pub stands.

The 1891 census shows The Saltbox which is further along the road on the opposite side and that shows licenced premises so the Pacific House may well be the old Pie Shop so that may give a date to look for it being built.

I think I need to check out old maps of Litherland for the 1891 time to see what was on Linacre Road at that time.

Edna

The Salt Box Public House 83 Linacre Road 1901 James Ovington licensed victualler.

Found this snippet.

"The oldest buildings still standing on Linacre Road are the Stockwell Mount (Kents) late c1869/70. The Salt Box c1880s and the Pacific c1880s. The house next to the Salt box (Widdowsons coal merchant, who at one time in had the Salt Box)."

Possibly why not finding it in 1881 or earlier. 1891 could be the first census it appears.

Last edited by Tourmie on Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add comment)

clematised

Thanks for all this, daughter has now got the regulars all talking about it and swopping stories so well done.

Edna

Good am pleased. Just need to find Ye Olde Pie Shoppe now Laughing

clematised

Today I had been looking through old newspapers and found that the pub was seeking a licence in 1885/6
1885 licence refused but 1886 granted to William Rycroft. A new Hotel.
several applications were later made by James Frederick Taylor 1890/2/5 all refused.

I found a death of a German man 1897 said to be a resident of the Hotel for three weeks killed himself and his brother lived there too. Paul Bahman, age 58, brother Wilhelm.

An inquest for a woman who poisened herself was held at the Hotel

An advert for a job wanting a woman middle aged as where another is kept at Pacific Hotel.

Not bad for sitting at the computer for a whole day Sunday,
Just got the ironing finished 11pm when I should have done it afternoon.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]