History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who do you think you are?

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Who do you think you are? Empty Who do you think you are? Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Found a list of names for the next series.

Una Stubbs
Marianne Faithfull
Lesley Sharp
Nigel Havers
John Simpson
Nick Hewer
Gary Lineker
Nitin Ganatra
Sarah Millican
Minnie Driver

Don't know about you but I still watch a lot of the old episodes when they pop up on some obscure channel or other. Got lots of favourites but the early series are some of the best.

The old dum dum di dum dum dum di dum census music aah must go and see if one is on now bounce

2Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 pm

SmallTownGirl

I'd watch it just to hear Mark Strong's voice-over. Very Happy

When does it start please? bounce

3Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Very Happy

All it said was "next month" so we must all keep our eyes, ears and nose peeled and to the ground bounce

4Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:48 pm

SmallTownGirl

I'll do my best m'am, but my knees aren't what they used to be so if I do get down on the ground I may never get up again Wink

5Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:53 pm

vron

well I did do as you say and put nose, ears and eyes to ground .............. Unfortunately the speed with which I did it had unfortunate consequences so wont be doing that again in a hurry. one sprained ankle and one broken ankle means my ground hugging days are over for a while.

so I might be digging out a brickwall to look at while laid up. look forward to seeing the new series of WDYTYA though.

6Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:58 pm

SmallTownGirl

Ouch, vron. Sounds terrible. Poor you.

Hope you have a resident slave who can attend to you with peeled grapes and the like while you're laid up. Wink 

7Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:25 pm

vron

thanks STG. Luckily I do have a very well trained resident slave who has been brilliant so far. Once the sprain has healed up it will be so much easier as I will be able to use the crutches better. I am not very stable on them at moment. Hubby has to walk behind ( in his rightful place!!) to make sure I don't wobble over. Sprain cannot take much weight so mostly I am stuck sitting in one place.

8Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:55 pm

Oh dear have some grapes from me vron. I haven't peeled them so they stay fresh. Sure your hubby will peel them when you are ready flower 

9Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:03 am

vron

thanks Tourmie. will put hubby on peeling duty when needed.

10Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:51 pm

bounce Seen an ad for it at last - Wednesday 24th July bounce 

11Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 pm

SmallTownGirl

Date duly noted. Thanks Tourmie.

Hello vron. Wave, wave. Hope you're on the mend.

STG

12Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:38 pm

vron

ooh that's good to know. will make sure I put it on to record.

slowly getting there thanks stg. Still on the crutches but making progress. Will teach me to look where I am going won't it?

13Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

SmallTownGirl

I am heartbroken that Mark Strong is no longer the voice-over.  

Sob. Sob. Sob.

Sad

14Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:24 pm

I thought of you when I watched it tonight and it was a female voice Sad 

Does he narrate any other programmes?

15Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:08 am

SmallTownGirl

The only one I know is WDYTYA. I've got nothing against Cherie Lunghi (sp?) except the fact that she's not Mark Strong. Sad 

What did you think of Una? I was expecting her to be a bit more of a luvie, but actually thought she was quite sweet.

It's Nigel Havers next week, apparently.

16Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:18 am

vron

I enjoyed Una's programme . She as you say wasnt a real luvvy and seemed genuinely interested in everything. Though have to say she could have found out most of that info fairly easily herself.

17Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am

SmallTownGirl

They did have her meeting an awful lot of expert-helpers.

One thing I didn't quite understand.

One of her cousins knew that her own father was illegitimate and that Clarence, Una's father, had been born before the parents married, yet she said that Clarence was definitely ("Oh, definitely!") Arthur's son. If he was Arthur's son 1) why wasn't Arthur's name on the birth certificate, 2) why didn't he marry Annie before the baby was born and 3) why didn't anyone question it?

I know Una said that she could "see" her father in Arthur, but sometimes we can all see what we want to rather than what's actually there.

I've tried looking them up. Arthur and Annie married in Q1, 1909 in York and Clarence Watson Robinson was b. Q4,1908 in York. That would lead me to think that Clarence's father was called Watson, not Stubbs. But then, what do I know?

18Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:49 pm

I've just googled Mr Strong STG Very Happy Didn't realise he was an actor n stuff or what he looked like.  Nice Very Happy 

Back to Una I thought people explaining stuff to her were ever so slightly patronising like because she was an older lady she might not understand but maybe that's just how I perceived it.

I didn't catch whether the first child belonged to Arthur or not and thought the 2nd one (her father) did but having Watson as a middle name certainly throws a spanner in the works silent 

Possibly they were told he was the father to cut down on the number of fathers in the mix for her children.  As it were.

Nigel Havers not keen on him, wasn't his father a Judge farao

19Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:31 am

SmallTownGirl

I enjoyed the Nigel Havers episode.

Apart from changing the voice-over, the format's a little different too in this series. The subject seems to meet expert after expert after expert, and more of them outdoors where information/certificates are exchanged rather than in the hallowed halls of libraries etc. as before.

20Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:48 am

vron

I quite enjoyed this episode too. like you I did note the number of experts he went to who kindly had all the copies of certificates and census waiting for him.

I had to laugh at the end where he said it proved he wasn't posh. his maternal ancestor owned a successful business whilst his daughter was growing up so she would have many advantages given to her. yes he lost it to bankruptcy but a few years later the daughter managed to marry a wealthy person and live in a big hall so she was hardly on the breadline. his paternal side definitely were well to do so I think I would still say he was posh. though I do like him.

21Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am

SmallTownGirl

There are always oddities in each programme that rankle with me, which are to do with the format, rather than the individual - although there are some individuals who I find REALLY annoying.

In this one, for instance, Nigel was clearly more than capable of looking his family up on the 18x1 census, but then rather than trying to find them 10yrs earlier to build up a picture himself, he "decided" to go to Essex to "find out more about them" (like you do Wink ) where he met someone who presented him with the next 10yr census, etc.

Creates quite a false impression of how things really are.  Apparently it's not unusual for peeps to walk into our local studies library and say they've come to see a copy of their family tree - as if it's already sitting on the shelf just waiting for them to come in and ask for it!

22Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:28 pm

Haven't seen Nige yet but he'll have to go some to charm me, we shall see!

Last one I saw again was the lovely Griff - it's where the engine drivers live - love it Laughing 

I have to ask now who do you find REALLY annoying STG Question 

23Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:53 pm

SmallTownGirl

From the last series Samantha Womack (for something like Oh he was an actor, that's were I must get it from, repeated endlessly) and William Roche (for thinking he was the voice-over and that he'd got to give a running commentary of the blindingly obvious).

I don't think I saw the Griff one first time around, but caught it last week (?) on Yesterday and enjoyed it.

24Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh yes he of Alton Towers if I remember right.  Some of the American episodes are a little OTT like SJP un-be-leeeeeeee-vable and O. M. G. repeated throughout but on the flip side I do appreciate seeing people with a real interest in what they are finding out.

Back to ours I liked Minnie Drivers very much. Knew of her but can't say had watched her in anything but it made me Sad

25Who do you think you are? Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Lesley Sharp - didn't like it till the end when she went to Canada.  The photos and written info on orphans was interesting but they weren't related to her.  Bit tenuous to make half a programme about.

Didn't warm to her and felt she was being "actressey" like she was reciting lines without genuine feelings.   

Now who can I slate this week?  Gary Linneker look out Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum