History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who do you think you are?

2 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:14 pm

SmallTownGirl

Thought Minnie Driver's was interesting, but a pity about that leather/suede patchwork coat (how shallow am I? - no, don't answer that).

Enjoyed Lesley Sharp's too. I have a lot of adopted people in my life, some of whom are very interested in their birth origins, some absolutely not at all.

The ones this series are certainly different.

27Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:32 pm

SmallTownGirl

Opinions on the Gary Lineker episode?

I thought it was a bit thin, but as it visited my home town and showed the outside and inside of the church where my brother got married, I was overall quite content. Made it look rather magnificent; much more so than I remember it one cold February morning when I was a mere chit of a girl in a flimsy bridesmaid's dress.

28Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:34 pm

SmallTownGirl

Calling vron.  bounce 

Calling vron.  bounce 

How's the ankle situation, please?  Is your husband still grape peeling?

Laughing

29Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 pm

vron

Hello STG

Vron reporting in.

Nice of you to be thinking of me. Ankles are slowly getting better thanks. left one nearly back to normal as long as I don't try to twist it round too much etc. Right one a bit behind in the mending stakes - still causing me a bit of gyp and funnily enough referring pain up behind my knee but certainly better than they were so moving in the right direction. Crutches ditched and walking around on my own - ok it is not the most elegant movement always! Smile  stairs and uneven ground can be awkward. Husband off grape peeling duties unfortunately. means I must be back to cooking and ironing and all the household jobs bother!

I am enjoying the WDYTYA series although they are a bit different in format - bit of a cross with long lost family. recorded gary linekar and haven't watched it yet.

30Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:34 pm

Takes a time doesn't it vron but you will get there with or without the extra grapes flower 

I haven't seen Gary yet either but will be slating it - or not as the case may be - in due course!

31Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Seen Gary at last.  I agree was a bit thin.  How they squeezed so much out of the one that went to prison I don't know.

My neck of the woods tonight with Nick Hewer.  If it shows the church I was a bridesmaid STG I will eat my hat queen

32Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:03 pm

vron

well that was my least favourite so far. thin on material and we didn't need to waste so much time watching him have make up put on for tv etc.

the only thing that did interest me was that OH is descended from a "pratt" who was a framework knitter from Hinckley but earlier than Garys and no connection I can see.

33Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm

SmallTownGirl

I was brought up in Hinckley and was back there today visiting my sister-in-law. As far as I know Hinckley hasn't been a village for over 600 years, so that bit of Gary's episode did jar a bit. Some of the Hinckley Pratts were factory owners, so maybe vron's OH is decended from them rather than the poacher Pratt.

Saw the Nick Hewer episode last night. Didn't quite get the first half 'cos it had lots to do with Northern Ireland politics and I know zip about that. Second half made a huge leap from what he knew to peeps generations back (like x10 or more) he didn't know - and I wasn't quick enough to follow the connection - and those were the ones we followed.

Interested to know what others thought though.

STG

34Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:00 pm

I watched Nick tonight and same as you with the Irish stuff.  The other half was bit more interesting but I wouldn't watch it again.  Bit too rigid for me how they seem to concentrate on two people and spend a lot of time on them.

It was tenuous going so far back leaping across this tree and that tree to get to a man of interest.  No doubt we could all do that if we went back and across far enough.  

Nah not the best episode this series.  I think Minnie is winning for me so far. Go Minnie cheers 

35Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:43 am

vron

well finally got to watch the nick hewer episode yesterday. it wasn't my favourite but I did find some of the irish stuff interesting as I have northern irish relatives and have a catholic / protestant marriage ( or just an elopement?)

also watched the nitin gandatra episode and that really fascinated me. I think though that it was helped as OH went to school opposite the parents shop in Coventry, we have been to Kenya and also to India and could relate to a lot we saw. I thought he came across as a lovely genuine person though who was really interested in everything.

36Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Not a bad episode to end the series on but on the whole didn't enjoy many of them.

Prefer the older ones.  My absolute favourite I have decided is Kim Cattrell and her journey to find out what happened to her grandfather.  I am adamant they leave different bits out each time I watch it.  

Any favourites or someone you would like to see "done" Question

37Who do you think you are? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who do you think you are? Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:22 pm

SmallTownGirl

Sometimes during the series I felt like I was just watching peeps read things out from pieces of paper, which didn't really make interesting viewing for me.  Also not a great fan of the unrolling of the professionally researched family tree, as in Here's One I Prepared Earlier.

Enjoyed Sarah Millican.  
Didn't enjoy Marianne Faithful - how she's made a career out of "singing", I'll never know [meow!].  
Thought John Simpson was a bit pompous.

Still really miss Mark Strong's voiceover.

Will have a think about who I might like to see in future.

STG Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum