History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

1939 register

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

11939 register Empty 1939 register Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Have you seen this is to be released on 2 Nov with FMP?

There were 22 pages of discussion about in on Roots when I last looked.

My main Question was is it going to be available at libraries but nobody seemed interested in that so I wrote to my head library and got this reply which is as I expected.

We have been told by Find My Past that the 1939 Register will NOT be added to the Community Edition (the version of FMP that libraries like ourselves subscribe to).
This is what we expected. As with other big releases, it will be added in the future, but no date has yet been given.
We assume they want to sell as many new individual subscriptions as possible to recoup their costs before sharing it with the Community Edition subscribers.

I can't get my head round exactly who you can see and who you can't scratch
Does the person have to be 100 years old from 1939 but we aren't yet 100 years on so is it from 1915?

Take my grandparents, both were born before 1915 but their 3 boys weren't.  2 of them have passed away but who will I be able to see?
Just my grandparents or the 2 boys who have passed away even though they would not be 100.

Any insight appreciated.

21939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:06 pm

SmallTownGirl

All a bit of a mystery to me, I'm afraid - like a lot of things Embarassed

STG

31939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:28 am

I've had a dabble about with it - haven't paid to view any records yet but it's quite fun searching which is free to do and tells you how many other people are in the same household and if the records are open or closed.

The search works well and there is an advanced search where you can put in more details plus you can filter the results to put them in a specific order say registration area.

I've found one Hinchliffe under Hunchliffe never seen that spelling before  Laughing and found one born 1869 who never married with "one other person" now who was that I wonder.

41939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:18 pm

SmallTownGirl

I only had a bit of a play and haven't paid to view any records, but ...

.... took me ages to find my own mother because of a bad transcription.

Connie Goodwin is listed as Convice Grodwin.    Mad   And there doesn't seem to be any way of submitting a correction  Sad

I see that there's some kind of reference number for a record, wonder what happens if you just use that as search criteria  Question  Would that give details of the other "unlocked" peeps in that household  Question  Anyone know?

So far I think I'm a bit underwhelmed by it, but maybe it will grow on me  Very Happy

STG

Edited to say, I've just answered my own question.  I have a known husband and wife (ref RG101/5742E/010/34 - and ...... 35).  If I go straight to the 1939 search page, and type 5742E in the piece number box and 010 in the item number box, I get 34 results which includes the couple and, presumably, their neighbours.

51939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Oops for Grodwin that's a funny one.

Yes I've just discovered the reference number search from reading the hints and tips on Roots Wink

I found who was living with my Richard Hinchliffe - a man called Arthur Anger.  I thought hello what have we here but he was very easy to look up on Ancestry.  It's a pity George won't be on there - I doubt he made 104 but I'd better check just in case, wouldn't that be funny if he was  Very Happy

I am going to work my way through the rest of the names I jotted down to see if more can be gleaned  Cool

Nobody will be paying for anything at this rate with all the "creative searching" going on!

61939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:58 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:Yes I've just discovered the reference number search from reading the hints and tips on Roots  Wink

Oh, feeling quite big-headed now, 'cos I worked it out all by myself. Very Happy  bounce

STG

71939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 am

Clever girl Basketball

If you work out how to search via addresses let me know!

Struggling to find hubbys grandparents and I believe they lived in a village but I don't know how to search for said village.  The options seem to be bigger areas but maybe you can whittle and I must try harder  study

Name isn't very good either - Henry Taylor.

81939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:46 pm

siamesewillow

One should see the comments about the 1939 register on facebook.   I have contacted FMP as a subscriber I should have a discount code which I have not received.  

I'll very likely wait until available at libraries etc, will one day??

91939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:01 pm

I had an e-mail from the 1939 register on Monday - as I signed up with them to be kept informed - which offered a 10% discount on a bundle of 5 households. Offer expires midnight 30 November.

I'm not desperate to pay for anything yet. You can find out the other names in the household by searching using the reference number as STG cleverly worked out.

101939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:35 am

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:Clever girl Basketball

If you work out how to search via addresses let me know!

Struggling to find hubbys grandparents and I believe they lived in a village but I don't know how to search for said village.  The options seem to be bigger areas but maybe you can whittle and I must try harder  study

Name isn't very good either - Henry Taylor.

What happens if you search for Henry Taylor and the county where the village was?

I did that for one of my grandfather's, where the county was Warwickshire, but when the list of possibles came up, I found him - and gran - under Tamworth Rural District.  Tamworth rang a bell because it's also the Registration District for the village's births, marriages and deaths.

Let me know how you get on, pls?  Smile

111939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Cracked it last night but don't ask me how my methods are all very hit and miss Basketball

It was under Tayler and it might have helped if I had put the correct village in to start with Embarassed

It came up as Little Notton Farm and when we googled it (long story but the family always believed it was knocked down to make way for a road) it came up as a B&B!!  

Got a couple of old photographs and to be honest can't completely see it as the same place but it has obviously been "tarted up" for paying customers.

Isn't this fun Very Happy

121939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:13 pm

SmallTownGirl

Well done for finding him.  Sounds as if you've paid to see the full image/whatever.  I'm still being a cheapskate and only looking at the freebie bits.  Embarassed

131939 register Empty Re: 1939 register Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:44 pm

No haven't paid for anything yet. Out that way this afternoon so had a look and it's definitely the same place as details match the photos we have exciting stuff.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum