History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Empty Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm

clematised

I have a baptism of Jean Conning daughter of John Wilson and Ann Marshall April 8th 1797

I have baptism of Agnes daughter of Anthony Conning and Jean Wilson Sept 7th 1815

Kircudbright Sheriff Cour record 9/6/1828 Conning Anthony [ref SC16/41/6]
He leaves a Sloop (Skeldon) and goods to the value of £89.8s.9d. he died in Kircudbright 11th December 1826 There is a burial of an Arthur Conning death by water in lungs for this date.
I have a record of ownership of sloop Sheldon

Anthony Conning 25/9/1819, James Conning 12 Nov 1821, John Conning 12 Nov 1821 all children of Anthony Conning and Jean Wilson, I think there was one more daughter but she died just from memory I cant find the record at the moment.

I have Agnes in Gorbals Glasgow in 1841 census with her daughter Jane and Janes father Robert Cooper (cant find the record but I have it)and one of Agnes's brothers.

I have from 1851 census records of Jean, Agnes and Jane Wilson Cooper forward in Liverpool Roscoe Street in various numbers Jean a boarding house keeper.

I am of course interested in getting further information from Jean Wilson and Anthony Conning parentage ect.

I do have some information of the brothers but my main requirement is to find Anthonys roots and more on Jean's parents if anyone can be of help.

Edna

Last edited by clematised on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

There is an Anthony Conning baptised 19 Sept 1785 Kirkmabreck Kirkcudbright to James Conning and Agnes Mcconchie.
Would that be about the right age for your Anthony?

clematised

Well it is possible although I dont have an age for Anthony and he did name first daughter Agnes.
I will root through my notes to see if I have any clues.

Thanks Tourmie

Edna

clematised

I got some help from Matt Muir on RC and he gave me from pre 1855 MI's for Kirkcudbright

No608 Anthony Conning mariner d Kircudbright 11,12.26 age 41years so that would make 1785 a good bet

He gave me much more about son Anthony lost at sea 3.6.1858 wife Mary Mathews d Gatehouse 10.10.1858 24yrs
Jane/Jean Conning d 15.11.1867 Liverpool wife of Anthony Conning Senior

I have lots on Agnes and her marriage to James Maben Dickson/Dixon and his shipwrck and death, her death and will.

clematised

I have found on FS three births to the couple James Conning and Agnes McConchie/Conchie

Anthony 1785, William 1788,Margaret 1790, all born Kirkmabreck

6Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Empty Re: Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:47 am

davidww

clematised wrote:I have a baptism of Jean Conning daughter of John Wilson and Ann Marshall April 8th 1797

I have baptism of Agnes daughter of Anthony Conning and Jean Wilson Sept 7th 1815

Kircudbright Sheriff Cour record 9/6/1828 Conning Anthony [ref SC16/41/6]
He leaves a Sloop (Skeldon) and goods to the value of £89.8s.9d. he died in Kircudbright 11th December 1826 There is a burial of an Arthur Conning death by water in lungs for this date.
I have a record of ownership of sloop Sheldon

Anthony Conning 25/9/1819, James Conning 12 Nov 1821, John Conning 12 Nov 1821 all children of Anthony Conning and Jean Wilson, I think there was one more daughter but she died just from memory I cant find the record at the moment.

I have Agnes in Gorbals Glasgow in 1841 census with her daughter Jane and Janes father Robert Cooper (cant find the record but I have it)and one of Agnes's brothers.

I have from 1851 census records of Jean, Agnes and Jane Wilson Cooper forward in Liverpool Roscoe Street in various numbers Jean a boarding house keeper.

I am of course interested in getting further information from Jean Wilson and Anthony Conning parentage ect.

I do have some information of the brothers but my main requirement is to find Anthonys roots and more on Jean's parents if anyone can be of help.

Edna

Hi Edna

CONNING is a distinctly unusual surname.

The Scottish OPR records firstly confirm the 1819 birth record, -

25/09/1819 CONNING Anthony Anthony CONNING/Jane WILSON FR250 M KIRKCUDBRIGHT /KIRKCUDBRIGHT

There are then these two earlier OPR records which have a very good chance of being connected, -

19/09/1785 CONNING Anthony James CONNING/Agnes MCCONCHIE FR29 M KIRKMABRECK /KIRKCUDBRIGHT

01/01/1758 CONNING Anthony Anthony CONNING/[no mother's name shown] M KIRKMABRECK /KIRKCUDBRIGHT

Orraverybest

David

David W WEBSTER FSA Scot

email: davidwwebsterATcompuserve.com [replace the 'AT' with '@']

www.rossgenealogy.co.uk

clematised

Thank You David,

Can I assume that I will find these details on Scotlands People website and can download the information at a cost.

There are a lot of Conning names in Lancashire and Cheshire in later years and the fact that they are Mariners will be the connection between the Ports of Kirkcudbright Dumfries? and Liverpool in the early 1800s.

I have for seven years been stuck with this connection and thank you for your help in moving along with it.

Thanks again

Edna

davidww

clematised wrote:Thank You David,

Can I assume that I will find these details on Scotlands People website and can download the information at a cost.

Indeed, but the cost is minimal !

The conjunction of the name 'Anthony CONNING', the locality, and the gap between the generations would lead me to believe that there is a good chance that this is the same line !

clematised wrote:There are a lot of Conning names in Lancashire and Cheshire in later years and the fact that they are Mariners will be the connection between the Ports of Kirkcudbright Dumfries? and Liverpool in the early 1800s.

It's very possible that there were links between NW England ports and the deep SW of Scotland !

clematised wrote:I have for seven years been stuck with this connection and thank you for your help in moving along with it.

My pleasure.

There could well be some other Scottish records that could assist your research.

Orraverybest

David

David W WEBSTER FSA Scot

email: davidwwebsterATcompuserve.com [replace the 'AT' with '@']

www.rossgenealogy.co.uk

clematised

Thank you David and I will look into it further over the weekend and if I need your further help I now know where to find you

Edna

10Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Empty Re: Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:43 pm

clematised

I have downloaded the baptism records of Anthony Conning baptised 1758 and his mothers name looks like Agnes Clew.

The 1785 baptism of Anthony parents James Conning and Agnes McConchie I have downloaded too.

Not sure how both of these records tie in though

Edna

11Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Empty Re: Scotland Kircudbright, Conning/Wilson Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:13 pm

davidww

clematised wrote:I have downloaded the baptism records of Anthony Conning baptised 1758 and his mothers name looks like Agnes Clew.

....snipped.......
Edna

Agreed re the Agnes and Cle. The single letter that
follows the 'Cle' is first scored out then maybe scored out
again, but I can't think what it might be apart from 'w'.

Orraverybest

David

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum