History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

What happened to Elizabeth?...................................

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

siamesewillow

A large brick wall I would love to solve as this lady is my Great Grandmother x 2.

Elizabeth Fisher born 1812,Blithfield, Staffordshire, parents William and Hannah Fisher. In 1834 Elizabeth gets married to William Harrison Blore in Blithfield. By 1836 they had moved to London, where 2 children are born Sophia in 1836 and William Antil in 1838. Elizabeth than disappears. William in 1841 commences work at Buckingham Place, and the 2 children on the 1841/51 census living with their Grandparents Simon and Jane Blore in Calton Staffordshire.

In 1847 William remarries Matilda Bartlet on the Isle of Wight, on the marriage certificate William is down as a widower.

Cannot find William or Elizabeth on the 1841 census.

I have already obtained 2 death certificates which were not correct. One in 1847 Chelsea, and the other in 1845 Ashbourne staffordshire.

Now a distant cousin thinks Elizabeth ran off and has put a date down on her tree, but how to prove it if possible before paying for another death certificate.

On the 1861 census there is a Elizabeth born 1812 Calton, living with her sister in law Dorothy Oakden born 1824 (name: Dorothy Oakden age:78gender:F birthplace: Blore, Staffordshire relationship to head of household: Sister In Law)

On the 1871 census Elizabeth is living on her own.
In 1874 Elizabeth dies, there is a will, where she names her nephew John Oakden as her executer, occupation farmer.

The Oakden families seem to be close to the Blore family having in the past intermarried.

I cannot find any connection between John, Dorothy and the Blore family, so could well be barking up the wrong street again.

Need a fresh set of eyes.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

siamesewillow

Should of mentioned that on both census, 1861/71, Elizabeth is down as unmarried.

Thanks

siamese

Ooh now I remember this one and looking for a death for Elizabeth Blore, probably one of the wrong certificates you obtained siamese as Chelsea rings a bell.

Just out of interest what was wrong with the death certificates - was it something glaringly obvious that it couldn't be her or is there any doubt?

Will have a look see.

There's an Elizabeth Bloor age 28 in Birmingham 1841 not born in county.

Appears to be with 3 other young people all different surnames so maybe lodging together? Maybe she ran off with one of those! None of them born in county.

Edward Alexander 28 shopman
Robert Hayward 23 warehouseman
Harnet (Harriet?) Whilaker maybe Whitaker 24
and Elizabeth

How old is Dorothy supposed to be because 1861 has transcribed her as 37 but it looks more like 87 to me Question

She is unmarried as well so I can't see the obvious connection to be an aunt, could be a complicated one study

Wonder if Elizabeths mother was an Oakden. If so then bingo.

siamesewillow

Elizabeth's mother was Hannah Abberley. Spent all last evening researching the Oakden family way back because as I already mentioned there was some intermarriage between the Blore and Oakden families.

William Harrison's great Uncle George James Blore married Mary Oakden in 1797 Iams Staffordshire, and going back a further 2 generations, Simon Blore born 1698 married Elizabeth Oakden. Just out of interest I found this information on familysearch.
escendants of :
Phillip Oakden

Generation 1

1. Phillip Oakden was born 1668 in Cauldon, Staffordshire and died 1741 in Cauldon, Staffordshire. He married Frances Yates 20 Aug 1698 in Cauldon, Staffordshire. She was born 1670.

Children of Phillip Oakden and Frances Yates:
Elizabeth Oakden was born 1700 in Ilam /
John Oakden was born 1703 in Cauldon
Ann Oakden was born 1710 in Cauldon
Edward Oakden was born 1712 in Cauldon
Dorothy Oakden was born 1717 in Cauldon Sta
Sarah Oakden was born 1717 in Cauldon
Phillip Oakden was born 1721 in Cauldon

Generation 2

2. Elizabeth Oakden was born 1700 in Ilam / Calton-in-Waterfall. She married Simon Blore. He was born 1698 in Calton, Staffs, son of Thomas Blore and Joane ?.

Was trying to work down but got stuck. There was a Dorothy but born far to early.

siamese

siamesewillow

Regarding the death certificates. the one in 1845 Elizabeth was the widow of John Blore stone mason. The other one was not a waste because although it was not the Elizabeth Blore I was looking for, it was for a sister of William Harrison who died single age 25.

siamese

I'm getting stuck in a loop myself at the moment.

Dorothy dies 1863 and will is proved by Elizabeth Blore spinster niece.

Dorothy born to a William and Mary as is Ann the sister in law from 1851 but then so is John farmer nephew but in 1835 so can't be the same parents.
One of his children has Blore in their name but his wife wasn't a Blore.

Thanks for clarifying the death certificates both definitely wrong then.

My sense is she did run off and didn't die but whether she is this spinster niece or not can't prove it yet.

I might just check out those random names in 1841 just in case she ended up with one of them!

siamesewillow

Another possibility is that the death never got registered?

But if the Elizabeth who died in 1874 told all that she was single and bearing in mind she had gone back to the area where her husband's family lived they would of known she was still married, unless they decided to keep quiet because son William had remarried. The children remained with the Grandparents not moving back with father and his new wife. Wander if they kept in touch.

siamese

Am thinking spinster niece is a red herring and we are tangling ourselves up trying to prove something that isn't true.

Perhaps we should try and find spinster Elizabeth in 1841/1851 to definitely rule her out Exclamation

1851 the Elizabeth Bloor born Calton 1812 is 39 unmarried with widowed mother Mary 79. I smell a red herring because her mother should be Hannah Fisher yes?

The one that dies in 1874 has est birth date of 1802. Bit confusing as the probate one is 1872 and 60 anyway....

Need a third option to play with. Perhaps she went back to her maiden name?

Am out this afternoon but will keep thinking.

siamesewillow

Well, I can forget about the Elizabeth Blore who died in 1874 or was it 1872,anyway found a tree on ancestry with the whole Oakden family on including Elizabeth/Dorothy and John. So as you say Tourmie, a red herring.
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/19950106/person/896262108?ssrc=

I will have to accept the fact that she died and the birth was not registered. Thanks for your help.

siamese

siamesewillow

Now after a closer look the Elizabeth Blore who married Anthony Oakden would of been Elizabeth Oakden on the 1861/71 census. So back to square one.

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum