History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Henry Lewis.....................

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Henry Lewis..................... Empty Henry Lewis..................... Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:28 pm

siamesewillow

Before I fork out money for a certificate which may not be correct I thought I'll ask for advice.

Henry Lewis born 1828 Bristol, married to Eliza Lewis born 1827 Bristol in 1846. On the 1851 census they have a daughter Eliza born 1848 Bristol. George is a shoe maker. They are lodging with a family in Cheltenham, George Lewis wife Mary Cook and daughter Mary age 1 month. George Lewis was also a shoemaker. George was born in 1827 Bristol, wife Mary was born in Cheltenham.

The ? I have are Eliza Lewis and George Lewis related, have searched and getting no where.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

2Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 pm

siamesewillow

Sorry I meant George Richards born 1828 Bristol, married to Eliza Lewis in 1846. Another senior moment.

siamese

3Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:00 am

Another senior moment but just to clarify do you mean are Henry Lewis and Eliza Richards related Question

The family in Cheltenham they are lodging with is Henry Lewis not George (I think!)

Basketball

4Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:13 am

vron

well here is one marriage

groom's name: George Richards
bride's name:Eliza Lewis
marriage date: 24 Dec 1846
marriage place: Bedminster, Somerset, England
groom's father's name:Philemon Richards
bride's father's name:George Lewis
indexing project (batch) number:I08247-7
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1849435
reference number: p186 item372

5Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:23 am

vron

how do you know henry lewis wife was mary cook?

6Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:14 am

siamesewillow

Vron, Yes that is the correct marriage George and Eliza Richards are my Great Grandparents x 1 and have the marriage certificate.

With me getting names mixed up can certainly cause confusion.

In 1851 George Richards, wife Eliza and daughter Eliza where lodging in Cheltenham with Henry Lewis and wife Mary and daughter Mary.

Tourmie, I searched the Gloucestershire BMD's site which is excellent as it shows the bride's maiden name which was Cook. Unfortunately they married in a register office.

George's wife Eliza was Eliza Lewis before she married George, and as Henry was also born in Bristol and with the same surname am hoping for a family connection. Also they all seem to be in the same or similiar occupations.

According to the marriage certificate for George and Eliza, Eliza's father was called George Lewis, cordwainer.

Thanks

siamese

7Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 am

siamesewillow

Entry for Henry and Mary's marriage

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/MarriageSearch.aspx

siamese

8Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Right got it so we are looking to see if Henry Lewis was also son of George Lewis father of Eliza or some other close family connection.

I wonder if they were cousins as the same age in 1851 but can't find a link as yet.

9Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:22 am

siamesewillow

Yesterday I received the marriage certificate for Henry Lewis and Mary Ann Cook, married at the Cheltenham register office in 1850.

Henry's father was Henry Lewis, again a shoemaker. So looks like I'll have to go back another generation to find any family connection. Was hoping the Henry's father was called George hence Henry and Eliza could of been brother and sister, so hopefully fathers George and Henry may be brothers

siamese

10Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 am

Don't know if this helps any but 1841 there is a
Henry Lewis 30
Sarah 30 and what I hope is your Henry 13
George 11
William 7
Emma 4
Elizabeth 2 and last but not least Thomas 1 week.
Living Park Street Cheltenham. Henry senior shoemaker.

1851 living 4 Knap Place Cheltenham
Henry 44 shoemaker b Bristol
Sarah 44 b America
Emma 14
Elizabeth 12
Thomas 9
James 7
Charles 3
Frederick 2 months
All children born Cheltenham

Quite a few trees with Henry senior on but no parents for him unfortunately.

11Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 am

There's a Henry Lewis marriage to Sarah Bowden 10 Jan 1825 Bristol but would need his fathers name to look for other siblings and a possible link.

12Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:57 pm

siamesewillow

Thanks Tourmie, Not sure, the family could well of been living in Cheltenham, but Henry (junior b 1828) was born in Bristol.

See more research is needed but not easy. Have looked on familysearch and ancestry.

13Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 pm

siamesewillow

This is the Henry Lewis I am looking for in 1851

Name: Henry Lewis
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1828
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Lewis
Where born: Bristol
Civil parish: Cheltenham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Registration district: Cheltenham
Sub-registration district: Cheltenham
ED, institution, or vessel: 1m
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 198
Piece: 1973
Folio: 371
Page Number: 51
Household Members:
Name Age
Henry Lewis 23
Mary Lewis 26
Mary Lewis 1 Day
George Richards 23
Eliza Richards 23
Eliza Richards 3

siamese

14Henry Lewis..................... Empty Re: Henry Lewis..................... Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 am

siamesewillow

Hi

Tourmie looks as if you were correct regarding Henry and Sarah. I put a thread on the Gloucestershire board on rootschat and have got abit more forward
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670820.0

This morning I found a baptism on familysearch if correct I still have to go back a further generation

"Baptism Notes
Name: Henry Lewis Gender: Male Christening Date: 14 Aug 1808 Christening Place: Bedminster, Bristol, England Birth Date: 13 Feb 1808 Mother's Name: Ann Mother's Birthplace: Mother's Age: Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00176-6 System Origin: England-EASy GS Film number: 1849424 Reference ID: Henry Lewis, 13 Feb 1808."

As George married in Bedminster 1817 to Elizabeth Gorden so looks as if George and Henry came from the same part of Bristol but can find very little about George's birth.

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum