History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jane Atkins

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Jane Atkins Empty Jane Atkins Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Still browsing the Pashleys. Wife Elizabeth Jane Atkins born 1833 Southwick Hampshire is, I think, under Jane Atkins in 1851 living with the Voller family.

Her entry is described as daughter in law but it looks to me like daughter by something? By mother perhaps but head of house is a widower and no wife is listed.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? Family are living North St Southwick and head is William Voller.

2Jane Atkins Empty Re: Jane Atkins Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:40 pm

clematised

I cant view it but Daughter in Law was a way of saying step daughter and not the way we say it today

Edna

3Jane Atkins Empty Re: Jane Atkins Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks Edna yes however it doesn't say "in" after daughter it looks very much like "by" - daughter by something or other.

Ah daughter by marriage maybe Idea

4Jane Atkins Empty Re: Jane Atkins Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:30 pm

clematised

Then you will have to look for a marriage to the name of the family if she was a daughter in law

Edna

5Jane Atkins Empty Re: Jane Atkins Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:Ah daughter by marriage maybe Idea

Yes, I think so.

STG

6Jane Atkins Empty Re: Jane Atkins Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Thank you I think I've worked out the relationship now thanks to a tree with her on.

It gives her mother as Jane and Jane the sister of Elizabeth Atkins who married William Voller. Technically then she was Williams neice by marriage not daughter but hey ho.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum