History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

What happened to Jane.............

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1What happened to Jane............. Empty What happened to Jane............. Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 pm

siamesewillow

Jane Mary Elizabeth Lovelace Shepherd born 1827 (C) Almondsbury Gloucestershire. Parents George and Sarah Shepherd.

I have a baptism

Baptism Notes
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTQL-MZJ name: Jane Mary Elizth Loveless Shepherd event: Christening event date: 01 Jul 1827 event place: Almondsbury, St Mary, Gloucestershire, England gender: age: christening date: marriage date: marital status: burial date: father: George Shepherd mother: Sarah spouse: spouse's marital status: spouse's father: spouse's mother: film number: 4254873 digital folder number: 4254873 image number: 00082 Collection: Jane Mary Elizth Loveless Shepherd, 'England, Bristol Parish Registers, 1538-1900'

That is the only information I have.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

2What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:02 pm

Oh gosh what a lot of names Shocked she could be under any combination of those.

Can you locate her parents in 1841? At 14 there's a chance she could still be at home.

There are a couple of odd ones as servants under one or other of the names but nothing conclusive.

My sense is she died quite young but I don't know why. Hope I am wrong flower

3What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:46 am

siamesewillow

Tourmie,

The family split up early I think due to the parents death, father George Shepherd dies in 1833 and mother Sarah seems to have disappear.

Think this may be the children including Jane in 1841

Name: Jane Sheppard
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1826
Where born: Gloucestershire, England
Civil parish: Almondsbury
Hundred: Thornbury (Lower Division)
County/Island: Gloucestershire
Street Address:

View image
Registration district: Thornbury
Sub-registration district: Almondsbury
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 361
Book: 7
Folio: 16
Page Number: 15
Household Members:
Name Age
William Webb 40
Sarah Webb 35
Thos Sheppard 15
Hester Sheppard 15
Jane Sheppard 15
Ellen Sheppard 10
Jon Sheppard 10

4What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am

siamesewillow

Think I was wrong regarding mother Sarah, looks like she married William Webb. At looking at my tree I have her married to him in 1835.

siamese

5What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:11 am

Ah now I remember this family from before. William Webb rings a bell as does Hester.

Likely she would marry between 15 and 25 so between 1841 and 1851.
There's a Jane Shepherd marriage Bristol 1848 with 4 grooms to choose from.

We have Robert Edbrooke, William Sealey, Charles Skinner, Joseph Squires.

William Sealey rings a bell for some reason. Will have a look for that little lot in 1851 to see if a bride fits with Jane.

6What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:20 am

Ah Robert Edbrooke has a wife Jane in 1851 plus a 10 week old son William Henry.
Annnnd with them is a Harriet Shepherd.

That would lead to Jane Shepherd being the right bride for Robert but doesn't confirm she is your Jane Shepherd.

Jane is 30 and Harriet 28 born Somerset so don't think she is yours. That would have been too easy!

7What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 am

What happens to the Webbs after that 1841 census - can't seem to find them either.
scratch

8What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 pm

siamesewillow

Here is the Webb family in 1851. Sarah has died.

1851 Census Notes
1851 WEBB, William Head Widower M 54 1797 Victualler South Bradon, Somerset SHEPHARD, Esther Daughter In Law Unmarried F 25 1826 Bar Maid And Housekeeper Almondsbury, Gloucestershire HUGH, Henry Visitor Unmarried M 21 1830 Carpenter Bristol HOPKINS, Elizabeth Servant Unmarried F 18 1833 House Serv Almondsbury HUGHS, Henry Servant Unmarried M 17 1834 Ostler Westbury Piece:1957 Folio:77 Page: 27 Registration District: Thornbury Civil Parish: Almondsbury Address: Black Horse Inn, Almondsbury County: Gloucestershire

9What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 pm

Oh yes we've had this census before haven't we (but for a different reason)
I remember finding Esther the barmaid drunken

Working on marriages for Jane using different names/spellings. Could be a while study

10What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:31 pm

siamesewillow

Yes see according to the 1861 census Jane Edbrooke was born in Ireland so we need to forget that one.

Found a death in 1843

Deaths Dec 1843 (>99%)
SHEPPARD Jane Thornbury 11 369

But no age, I'll put it on my certificates to order list.

I'll look to see if she is just working from home, Jane certainly not with the Webb family in 1851

siamese

11What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 pm

I think that death could well be hers. Any idea where her parents were buried?
That could give a clue if they are all together.

Wouldn't it be good if certificates were "buy one get one free" Laughing

12What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:22 pm

siamesewillow

I've had a look on ancestry to see if Jane was away working, but nothing so she well may of died.

Thanks for your help.

The Shepherds were my Grand mother's family and another thing I would love to know, were did the name Lovelace come from? it seems to run as a second name in alot of the siblings and cousins. Gone back to George born 1801 Almondsbury who married Sarah Adams in 1821. Jane's parents.

Jane's father George was buired at St Mary's church Almondsbury.

siamese

13What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Been googling Almondsbury burial records and online there is a list South Glos Burial Index and they have a Jane Sheppard buried 29 November 1843 age 17.
That would fit your Jane age wise.

http://www.bafhs.org.uk/burial-data/burial-index/catalog?search=sheppard&start=25

14What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 pm

siamesewillow

Excellent, have now added that bit of information on to my tree. just have siblings Hester and Ellen to find out about.

Thanks again

siamese

15What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

siamesewillow

Have found Hester in 1851. She is living with her Uncle and Aunt James and Ann Adams.

16What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Wasn't Hester Esther the barmaid in 1851 with William Webb Question

17What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm

siamesewillow

I did so at one stage but on the 1851 census Hester is Esther Sheppard is down as the daughter in law to William Web. Inclined to think the Hester living with James and Ann Adams would be correct as James Adams born 1808 Almondsbury was Hester'Uncle.(Sarah's brother) he married Ann Hewett in 1839.

siamese

18What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 pm

The barmaid was unmarried so not technically a daughter in law. I was thinking it was a term for step daughter but if you have found a better option for her with a proper uncle then fair enough.

Is birthplace correct Northwick? Plus she's a bit young isn't she, looks like 7 for the age if I'm looking at the right one silent

The 7 might just be crossings out as no age is given on the transcription rats.

19What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 pm

Oh sorry following that Hester A forwards to 1861 she is 14 born Henbury still niece of Ann Adams who is now widowed.

Hester then turns into Hester Ann Webb wife of Thomas but still with aunt Ann Adams in 1871.

So to sum up for the night I think that one is not yours, too young Smile

20What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 pm

siamesewillow

I cannot now find Hester at all now on the 1851/61 census.

siamese

21What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:18 am

This is the one I am looking at for 1861. Address looks like White Horse Inn Almondsbury.

Ann Adams 63 Iron Acton head innkeeper
Hester A Sheppard 14 Henbury niece scholar
George Sheppard 26 Littleton on Severn lodger shoemaker

1851 Almondsbury

James Adams 43 Iron Acton head innkeeper
Ann Adams 47 Northwick wife
Hester Ann Shepherd no age given Northwick niece

22What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:26 am

siamesewillow

Think will have to forget that one, age wrong. James Adams would be my Hester's uncle but must be another Hester, and noticed there is a George as well.

siamese

23What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am

1871 White Horse Road Almondsbury

Thomas Webb 25 head publican
Hester Ann Webb 24 wife
Annie Gertrude Webb 2 daughter
Ann Adams 73 Iron Acton aunt formerly proprietress of this business
George Frederick John Webb 3 son (think that should be 3 months)

Birthplaces for the Webb family all Almondsbury.

Marriage Thomas Webb Hester Anna Shepherd Sep 1868 Bristol

What do you think?

24What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:34 am

siamesewillow

I know I am asking alot, but would love to the find this connection.

My Grandmother was Edith Georgina Annie Shepherd born 1886 Pilning, her great grandfather x 1 George Shepherd born 1801 Almondsbury, married to Sarah Adams.

Now though the ages alot of the sibling, cousins have Lovelace as a second name.

Just wondering if George's mother might be called Lovelace

siamese

25What happened to Jane............. Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 am

siamesewillow

Yes, ties Hester up with the Webb family, but again the age is wrong, Hester was born in 1827 so she should be 44.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum