History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 am

Looking for her passage to S Africa to join her husband in the early 1890's.

She married Mark H 18 October 1890. By the end of the month he was gone to S Africa. Down as single but am thinking he probably booked passage before getting married.

On the 1891 census she is with the Ellis family in England but must have travelled to join her husband at some point as they had two sons out there.

One Richard Ellis H was born in 1893, no info on the other one apart from his name Mark Joseph.

Emma was born 1872 and died before 1926 when Mark died. Never found a death record for her. On his death record she is named Emily Janet but am assuming this is the same woman.

No knowledge of either of them coming back to England at any point.

2Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Re: Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:54 pm

SmallTownGirl

I've looked on Ancestry for her, but no luck. There are three Emma Hinchliffes on passenger lists (1 who travelled from Montreal in 1927 and again in 1933 and New York in 1949), but none of them "yours" and no Emily Hinchliffe's at all. And I've looked for her on other people's trees on Ancestry, but can't find her there either.

Don't know anything about South African records, sorry.

Not doing very well, am I?

3Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Re: Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:07 pm

That's ok thanks for having a look. S African records are notoriously difficult to get sight of. I was lucky to get hold of the death records I did. You search a database and request them online and they e-mail them to you. Don't think they cost me anything either which is even better! Quite a lot of info on them too.

Back to Charles Dickens for a moment I went in Smiffs today and they had a set of 3 books for £3.00. Oliver Twist, Tale of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol. Had to buy them for that price. Last one was very slender the others good fat books.

study

4Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Re: Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:12 pm

SmallTownGirl

Just caught part of a programme on the Yesterday channel and during an advert break it said that from www.findmypast.co.uk/free you can get £5 worth of credits. Offer expires 19 Feb apparently. I've just done it. Not sure how much you get for a fiver, but better than nothing.

5Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Re: Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks I've done it too. Seems to be 40 credits and viewing an entry costs 5 or 10 so will have to use verrrry sparingly.

6Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Re: Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am

siamesewillow

Have had a look on find my past, no luck.

siamese

7Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Empty Re: Emma Jane Ellis/Hinchliffe Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:44 pm

I wonder if she used her maiden name for some reason? She must have travelled sometime between 1891 census and when first child was born. I don't have birth year for the other child so don't know which came first.

Possible I suppose she had the first in England before travelling and that's why she was with her own family......but no if husband travelled in October 1890 there would have been a child with her in 1891. Plus they were only married a matter of days before he left.

Something that will remain a mystery I think but thanks for looking.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum