History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

What happened to Jane.............

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:44 am

siamesewillow

After searching for the census last night and could not find o trouble this morning. Noticed on the original 1871 census there is a John Webb next door, the Shepherds/Webbs/Adams all seem to be Inn Keepers
George Shepherd ran the Black Horse, Cribbs Causeway.

siamese

27What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:04 am

Going back a way now aren't we. I always struggle with the pre 1837 stuff.
Lovelace is a pretty name to have. Not so pretty when it morphs into Loveless!

I wonder if that site from yesterday with the burials on would have access to old birth records for the area?

Might be worth a look or a contact Smile

28What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 am

Going back to Esther the barmaid for a minute.

Checking marriages between 1851 and 1861 there is one in Clifton Sep 1853 for Hester Shepherd and one of the two grooms is a Henry Hughes.

Now on the 1851 barmaid census there is a Henry Hughes servant Like a Star @ heaven
Only 17 but would be old enough to marry at 19.

Will check it out. Could be the wrong groom but coincidence.

29What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am

Could be her look at this 1861 census.

Henry Hughes 33 or 30 looking at the original
Hester Hughes 34 born 1827 Almondsbury Very Happy
Ellen 3
Henry 2
Hannah T 11 months

Henry has aged a bit so maybe not the same one as in 1851. Whatever a good candidate for Hester either way.

Last edited by Tourmie on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

30What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am

siamesewillow

Think they only deal with burials, used to subscribe the the Avon and Bristol family history at one time. Have started a thread on rootschat to ask if anyone is visiting the Bristol RO but no response. Perhaps I'll try Genes.

Thanks anyway

siamese

31What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:16 am

siamesewillow

Thanks, think you may have found her. Certainly one for my marriage certificate list. Right age etc

siamese

32What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:22 am

Oh Henry is a widower by the next census 1871.

Children
Henry Richard 12
Frances Sarah 16
Ellen Maria 14
Hannah Jane 10
Charlotte Hester 8

Frances Hughes 69 mother born in Geneva goodness.

33What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am

Oh how sweet all 3 of the daughters are schoolmistresses in 1881.
Henry has married again but still with his mother and children.

Anyway I digress. Better get on with the morning Basketball

34What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:25 am

Not had any luck with finding Ellen.

The only really long shot is if she married under step fathers name Webb to Frederick Sainsbury in Bristol Dec 1851.

That Ellen is born Thornbury on all census including 1911 and right age but can't seem to find her in 1851 under any name. She could be under Webb in 1851 but Question

No unusual names for the children unfortunately.

Would be nice to find her just to rule her out.

If not two out of three ain't bad cheers

35What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:52 pm

siamesewillow

Thanks again Tourmie, I have added the names on my tree so I can search for more details.

Regarding Ellen, looks like she was a twin to John both born 1830. But they were baptised on different dates. May be Ellen was rather delicate so she was baptised first.
Baptism Notes
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTQL-MTR Name: Ellen Adams Shepherd Event: Christening Event Date: 02 May 1830 Event Place: Almondsbury, St Mary, Gloucestershire, England Gender: Age: Christening Date: Marriage Date: Marital Status: Burial Date: Father: George Shepherd Mother: Sarah Spouse: Spouse's Marital Status: Spouse's Father: Spouse's Mother: Film Number: 4254873 Digital Folder Number: 4254873 Image Number: 00097 Collection: England, Bristol Parish Registers, 1538-1900

name: John Adams Shepherd
event: Christening
event date: 12 Sep 1830
event place: Almondsbury, St Mary, Gloucestershire, England

father: George Shepherd
mother: Sarah Shepherd

film number: 4254873
digital folder number: 4254873
image number: 00100

36What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:23 pm

Don't think it's her. There's an Ellen Webb in Thornbury 1841 when yours was with her family.

Bit odd not to baptise twins at the same time. Maybe they were too big to fit in the font together Smile

37What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 am

siamesewillow

Checking the reg on ancestry and FreeBMD for the Hughes children, no problem with Ellen's siblings but Ellen herself? According to both 1861 and 1871 census Ellen is called Ellen Maria and born 1857.

The earlest one I can see is
Births Mar 1861 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hughes Ellen Maria Bristol 6a 43

There is one for a Ellen reg in Thornbury in 1858, but brother Henry birth was reg that year but a different month of the year, if they were twins surely their births would be registeres at the same time. Can understand with baptisms especially if the parents thought one of the twins may die.

Am I missing something?

siamese

38What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:17 pm

She's just plain Ellen in 1861 born Bristol St James.
1871 Ellen Maria born Bristol.

You'll like this there's an Ellen Maria Lovelace birth Clifton Jun 1858. I wonder.
Clifton seems to cover St James.

39What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:25 pm

I see what you mean with Henry scratch

I wonder if the Henry Richard you found was a different one and yours is just plain Henry registered Bristol Dec 1859? His birthplace is St Phillip on the 1861.

Would seperate the births out a bit if nothing else *

* spoke too soon that would make him too close to the next one Hannah Jane Laughing

Crikey.

40What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:50 pm

siamesewillow

Oh dear, problems all round. I'll go and see if I can find a baptism on familysearch

41What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 pm

siamesewillow

Well think she may be Eleanor, what do you think.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTSD-133
name: Eleanor Maria Hughes
event: Christening
event date: 03 Aug 1856
event place: Bristol, St James, Gloucestershire, England
christening date:
marriage date:
marital status:
burial date:
father: Henry Hughes
mother: Esther Hughes
spouse:
spouse's marital status:
spouse's father:
spouse's mother:
film number: 4194595
digital folder number: 4194595
image number: 00357
Collection: Eleanor Maria Hughes, "England, Bristol Parish Registers, 1538-1900"

42What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:00 pm

siamesewillow

Here we are

Name: Eleanor Maria Hughes
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1856
Registration district: Bristol
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 40

43What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm

My first thought is Eleanor was an earlier child because she should have been older on the census than Ellen is recorded.

She could have died before 1861 or be elsewhere......let's have a look for her.

44What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Ooh now this might help.

There's an Eleanor M Hughes visitor age 23 born Bristol in 1881 and she is a governess.

3 of the girls were schoolmistresses weren't they - that was 1881 as well but the 3 were Frances, Annie and Charlotte not Ellen or Eleanor.

Seeing as we don't have Ellen and Eleanor anywhere at the same time I would say you are right and they are the same girl.

45What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Baptisms to Henry and Hester Hughes

Frances Sarah 26 July 1854
Henry Richard 6 June 1858
Hannah Jane 12 Feb 1860
Charlotte Hester 21 Oct 1861

That's ok isn't it they all have enough space inbetween and Eleanor Maria slots in nicely.

There's a death in Bristol 1933 for an Eleanor M Hughes born 1857 but can't find her after 1881.

Henry Richard death 1916 probate to Frances Sarah spinster.

46What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Frances Sarah and Hannah Jane are together in 1911 with step mother Annie Hughes.
Ladies are single.

In 1901 Frances is proprietress of a ladies school living with brother Henry who is widowed with a 7 week old son Henry.

47What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:55 pm

siamesewillow

I have been looking at the 2 sons from Henry senior's second marriage, Albert and Frank they both become doctors, but found another problem.

Albert is single in 1901, living at home with his parents Henry and Annie, also he is a medical student. In 1911 he is living down in Plymouth with a servant and a visitor (a nurse)he is now married. So I go onto FreeBMD to look for a marriage there are 2
One in 1903 to either a Laura Valentine Chidgey or Bessie Vaughan
One in 1908 to a Ethel Maud Gwyn

Will now have to see if there is a Laura Hughes
Bessie Hughes or a Ethel Hughes on the 1911 census.

We certainly have gone far with the Shepherd family thanks to you. Tourmie

siamese

48What happened to Jane............. - Page 2 Empty Re: What happened to Jane............. Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:07 pm

siamesewillow

Found her visiting her brother in Bristol, Herbert Myers Gwyn, So Ethel Maud Geyn it is.

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum