History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help with the Gill family from Cornwall

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Empty Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm

siamesewillow

More registrations I cannot find.

Richard Gill 1814-1888 Eloshayle Wadebridge, wife Elizabeth Bishop 1823-1889.

They had 9 children.

James b 1846-1922
Richard b 1849-1917
Sarah 1851-1859
John b 1854-1928
Emma Wilcock 1858-1864
Mary Wilcock 1856
Elizabeth 1864-1864
Emma b 1864
Annie Louisa b 1865

The problem I have is the 2 Emma's. The information I have is from ancestry trees. Emma dies on the 28th Feb 1864
The second Emma according to the tree was born in 1862, Can find no birth or death registration, why call a daughter the same name as a living daughter.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

Births Mar 1862 (>99%)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GILL Female Bodmin 5c 103

Might be this little one that doesn't yet have a name? Bodmin is the right district.

Here is the 1862 Emma with parents in 1881.

Richard GILL Head M Male 65 Egloshayle, Cornwall, England Ag Labourer
Elizabeth GILL Wife M Female 50 Egloshayle, Cornwall, England Ag Labourer
Emma GILL Dau U Female 19 Egloshayle, Cornwall, England Ag Labourer
Louisa GILL Dau Female 15 Egloshayle, Cornwall, England
Richard WILLCOCKS Boarder W Male 65 Egloshayle, Cornwall, England Retired Farmer

siamesewillow

But Tourmie, If Emma was born in 1862, the death of the other Emma must be wrong but I cannot find a death registration for her.

Thanks for your help

siamese

Deaths Dec 1864
GILL Emma Falmouth 5c 148

I can't see any deaths in the right district in 1864. This is the closest but not if she died in February.

Where does the name Wilcock come from do you know?

Hang on a minute - which Emma is this then on the 1871?

Prichard Gill
Richard Gill
John Gill
Mary Gill
Emma Gill
Louisa Gill

siamesewillow

Yes Tourmie, I saw that death entry but Falmouth is quiet a distance, should be Bodmin/St Columb.

Oh dear its getting more confusing, so on the 1871 census one of the Emma's was born in 1860, wander if there is a death for the first Emma before 1860, the date from familytrees could be wrong, will recheck.

siamesewillow

On familysearch found this entry, so now wondering if there is only one Emma.

Emma Wilcocks Gill
Birth:
Christening:
27 DEC 1858 Saint Ervan, Cornwall, England

Father: Richard Gill
Family
Mother: Mrs. Elizabeth Gill

Marriages:
Spouse: Silas Olver
Family
Marriage:
20 FEB 1888

I wonder if there is a mix up with Elizabeths death which is registered Mar 1864.

SmallTownGirl

Two thoughts:

1. Is it possible that they weren't both actually named Emma? P'raps one was an Emma and the other was an Emily/Emmaline/Emelia/whatever but called Emma by the family, or just written as Emma by the census bod.

2. That the second Emma is an artefact from a census mis-transcription, i.e. that she didn't ever exist?

STG

siamesewillow

Still can find no entry on FreeBMD.

siamesewillow

There is a birth entry for 1858

Name: Emma Gill
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1858
Registration district: Bodmin
Inferred County: Cornwall
Volume: 5c
Page: 117

11Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Empty Re: Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:32 pm

Deaths Mar 1862 (>99%)

GILL Female Bodmin 5c 62

Possibly this goes with the female Gill birth in 1862.

Will have a scour at all the census tomorrow and have a look at the married Emma in 1891 etc see how old she was.

The Emma in 1881 was only 19 which fits with an 1862 birth not an 1858 one.
There was an Emma aged 2 in 1861.
And an Emma aged 11 in 1871.

PS Family search has birth of Emma 1862 parents Richard & Elizabeth.

siamesewillow

Yes, familysearch is correct, parents were called Richards Gill and Elizabeth Bishop, have marriage certificate. Emma and Silas Olver marry on the 20th Feb 1888, I have a record of 3 children
Richard Gill Olver born 1886
Silas born 1889
William born 1900

Again apart from Silas cannot find a birth registration for Richard and William. Looks as if Richard was born before the parent's marriage so looked for a Richard Gill, no luck.

siamese

Did Emma and Silas live in Cornwall? There are these births in Helston.

Births Mar 1886 (>99%)

OLIVER Richard Henry Helston 5c 175

Births Dec 1900 (>99%)

Oliver William Thomas Helston 5c 162

Are we sure William was born as late as 1900 because here is the 1891 census showing a William aged 7 months. That has to be the right family surely.

OLIVER Silas Head M M 32 Excavator(Em'ee) Cornwall - St Tudy
OLIVER Emma Wife M F 29 Cornwall - Wadebridge
GILL Richard Son - M 8 Scholar Cornwall - Bodmin
OLIVER Silas Son - M 2 Cornwall - Tresail
OLIVER William Son - M 7m Cornwall - Millbrook

15Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Empty Re: Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:33 am

siamesewillow

Looks like I looked at the wrong census, going out but will check later
siamese

Little early but possible birth for Richard. Chilcott the name of the father maybe.

Births Dec 1881 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GILL Richard Chilcott Bodmin 5c 89

Here's the birth for William. Millbrook is in that district.

Births Sep 1890 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oliver William St. Germans 5c 34

Not having much luck finding them in 1901. I can see a Silas 12 and a William 11 together but they are Inmates not with parents. There are two other Oliver children listed as well Mabel 8 and Ada 6.

siamesewillow

How sad, hate the name inmate. Mind you while researching this family though the years there has been cousins marrying etc. Was there a name for the building.

Thanks for all your help.

siamese

siamesewillow

Have been looking for a death for the parents between 1891 and 1901, nothing

siamese

21Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Empty Re: Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:15 pm

It was the Bodmin Union Workhouse. Presume the 2 Oliver girls are sisters or cousins. Birthplace for all given as Wadebridge.

Incidentally there was also someone called Gill there working as a servant.
Selina H aged 24.

siamesewillow

Sounds like the family fell on hard times. I remember the workhouse became the Bodmin Asylum which like so many no more. I lived in Wadebridge for 20 years which is about 5 miles away, there was several families called Gill, but did not know the connection then, my Grandfather's cousin married a Gill in Bristol. Small world.

Thanks

siamese

23Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Empty Re: Help with the Gill family from Cornwall Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:56 am

I know Bodmin from holidays in Cornwall, visited there last year actually. It's a lovely part of the country.

Nothing else on Silas and Emma but there is a single Richard Gill in 1901 census born Bodmin boarding with a family in Plymouth. He is a carpenter and joiner but down as 24 so bit old and I can see a birth that fits him so scrap that.

Think we'll have to leave this one and move onto the next puzzle whatever that maybe!

Last edited by Tourmie on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)

siamesewillow

Thanks for all your help, Tourmie.

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum