History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

revisiting the griffiths family of anglesey

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

vron

this might look familiar as i did put in on BBC thread a few years back but am no nearer a solution so i am revisiting them.

there is this family in 1881 which I believe to be mine
Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 5590; Folio: 72; Page: 14; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342342.

now north wales bmd now has maiden names on births I thought i might be able to narrow down the maiden name of mother mary but i cannot find a maiden name that seems to fit with all the births.

family gravestone has
john griffith (father) mar 2nd 1898 aged 55 ie born 1843
mary griffith (mother) 20 nov 1883 aged 41 ie born 1842
john griffith (son) 11 sep 1904 aged 38 ie born 1866

jane obituary in USA states her birth as 11 jun 1872. US census says 1873.
William - my g grandfather- funeral on wirral in 1930 says 57 which makes it 1873
david owen died in albion mine disaster in 1894 aged 17 ie born 1877
elizabeth is 6 months in 1881 ie born 1880

so ages all over the place. can anyone find a set??? five children john , william, jane, david and elizabeth with matching maiden name of mother mary.

i do have a few other things eg two birth certs, death of marys mother but none of the names match up so i am ignoring them for the time being.

thanks for trying

vron

Not good with Welsh names but Mary Jones married Pwllheli district Jun 1866 John Griffith.
Would this tie in with birth of first child John?

Just to clarify it's Marys maiden name we are really after? but the childrens births don't tie up with the same maiden name?

Death of Marys mother would show her maiden name - what name have you got for that?

And which births - the David Owen one Dec 1877 Anglesey would be a good one to pick (if you haven't already)

I sympathise with the names especially if Mary was a Jones but Griffith at least is better than Griffiths!

No other marriages stand out apart from the one I already posted.

For what it's worth there's a tree with her down as Mary Jones and a picture of the gravestone you mentioned.

flower

vron

Hi Tournie

yes the problem is that i cant find five births of the children with the same maiden name .

i have a birth cert of a jane born 8th july 1874 (born grogangoch as 1881 census) mmn JONES. Jane's obituary in US which was put in by her son states 11 jun birthdate and you would have thought her son knew date they celebrated her birthday even if he got the year wrong.

i have a birth cert of david owen born 1877 mmn ROBERTS and address is not grogangoch where family is for jane's birth in 1874 and 1881 census. Cant find another david owen birth.

i have a birth cert of william passed down through family (though dated 1929- year before he died - not when he was born ) and with a MUCH earlier birth date than suspected 1868 and cant find him on 1871 census with parents if he was born earlier - mmn JONES

marys mother elizabeth in grave is elizabeth HUGHES . She could have remarried.

i just cant find five births with any mother maiden name the same , let alone one that might fit with other info i have. confused

oh and the name is griffiths but often appears as griffith too. Very Happy

thanks for trying . this has really driven me mad over the years and i am no further forward ( or should i say backwards) now then then.

ps the tree is a distant relations but they obtained info from me and have a habit of jsut making things fit. there are a few other inaccuracies in their tree.

I see the problem thanks for clarifying.

That's a blow the David Owen birth being for a different name as he looks the most obvious.

Would the marriage in 1866 give any details that would help? Possibly not as not sure if it was even the right area and I was only looking under Griffith.

Could have a little look for a Mary Jones mother Elizabeth in 1851/1861 but I bet there are loads!

Thought you might say it was Griffith with an s as well oh dear!

There's a plain David Griffiths Mar 1877 Anglesey - is that the right district?

The only other David with an Owen is Sep 1877 Carnarvon as I expect you've seen.

Griffith Elizabeth Catherine Anglesey 11b 563 Sep 1880 could be the 6 month old in 1881.
I did find a Mary Catherine Jones earlier so could be a link.

If you have some way of looking at the maiden names for Wales that I don't then could rule those out.

Last edited by Tourmie on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)

Mary Catherine Jones bap 13 June 1843 Amlwch Anglesey to Owen Jones and Elizabeth.
We have a mother Elizabeth and a link to the Catherine name
(if daughter was Elizabeth Catherine) and link to Owen as a name.

Owen Jones could have demised and widow Elizabeth married a Hughes.

This is all conjecture I know and doesn't help with the births of the children but you know is giving me something to study

vron

Hi Tournie
Couldnt get back in yesterday so sorry i didnt reply. website was playingup for me.

http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/cgi/birthind.cgi has the maiden names for anglesey.

unfotuantely elizabeth catherine mmn is DAVIES

there is this one with maiden names jones
1880 GRIFFITHS Elizabeth Bryngwran Isle of Anglesey - Llangefni JONES

but as far as i can see bryngran covers the wrong end of anglesey.

or this one

1880 GRIFFITH Mary Elizabeth Amlwch Isle of Anglesey - Llangefni JONES

but she was always known as lizzie and another name never mentioned. and at the bottom of the gravestone is says " not to be opened witout permission from elizabeth griffiths"

i just wish i could get past this brickwall. when i started this was the only side of the family i knew about. we visited family in anglesey, my mother and her cousins was evacuatd to relatives there during the war - we have so many stories about them so they are a real family but john and mary are a real stumbling block.

i could send for birth certs but with no idea whether they are the right ones. there should be five children with matching maiden name surely.

vron

forgot to say i looked at that owen and elizabeth jones and did wonder about them.

i do actually think mmn is JONES but didnt want to influence anyone else.

Thanks for the link to that site that helps a lot bounce

Found another possible marriage 1865 John Griffiths/Mary Jones which mentions Ffestiniog where I note first child was born so that one could be a goer.

Mary Elizabeth 1880 could be her known as Lizzie to differentiate from her mother. Maybe she never knew she was a Mary and it was dropped before she knew it.

They really are nightmare names to take a punt on.

vron

just to let you know i have put this query up as a scavanger hunt over the road. it should go up next tuesday so lets see if any other brains can come up with anythng.

SmallTownGirl

vron wrote:just to let you know i have put this query up as a scavanger hunt over the road. it should go up next tuesday so lets see if any other brains can come up with anythng.

Ooo!

How do you do that then, please?

Sorry I've not been around much, but have been a bit pre-occupied making some (well, 25 actually) of these little chaps

http://randamocity.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/owl-puffs.html#!/2012/01/owl-puffs.html

STG

vron

STG - aren't they cute. you have been busy. do you sell them.

scavnager hunts OTR are on the general thread; common room section. if you pm tephra she will add you to the waiting list - though at the moment there isnt one. they go up on a tuesday. you need to prepare an outline of your problem and then send it to her by the mon eve before it is due to go up. they did always have a lot of people involved in them but lately they seem to have dropped off and not be so popular but thought it was worth a try as i cant seem to solve the problem and have been trying for years.

SmallTownGirl

Although when it comes to it, I'll be very loathe to part with them, I've promised them to a friend who has a severly disabled son. But, she's going to use them to raise funds for Mencap, so good cause. And because they are just SO cute, I'm sure they'll all go to loving homes.

Thanks v.much for the RC info. I'm usually out on Tuesdays, but will try to remember to look tomorrow when I get home and see what's going on.

STG

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum