History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mary Ann Coole......................

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Mary Ann Coole...................... Tue May 29, 2012 6:19 pm

siamesewillow

I have been at a loss for awhile with Mary's daughter.

Emma Thomas Cole born 1850 Bristol. (The surname Coole various) I have a birth certificate which gives the Mother's name as Mary Ann Cole, no father or occupation for Mary.

In 1853 Mary Ann gets married to a Joseph Dickenson and they have six more children.

The trouble is I am not sure if I have the correct Emma.

On the 1851 census there is a Emma Thos age 6 months either living or staying with another family.
Elizabeth Tribble or Curtis age 51 Head
Ann Curtis Mother born 1773
Mary Ann Cole age 20 daughter
Edward Cole age 19 son
Mary Ann Roberts age 1831 Lodger
William Tribble age 14 son
Emma Thos age 6 months Grand daughter

On the 1861 census
Mary Ann and Richard with 3 of their children have Emma Cole age 11 living with them and discrib ed as their daughter..

Going back to Maryann, On the marriage certificate between Richard and Elizabeth it gives William Cole as her father,
Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

2Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 pm

Couple of extra names thrown in there I can't work out siamese!

Who are Richard and Elizabeth?

3Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Tue May 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Ok does she marry as Emma Cole Thomas in Bristol 17/5/1869 to Wiliam Hunt because that gives her father as Elias Thomas (as do family trees)

Would make sense for her to switch her names around if Thomas was fathers surname and you wouldn't normally name a girl Thomas without good reason would you.

It all looks ok to me unless I am missing something. 1871 on she is Emma Hunt as expected. She must have been aware of who her father was to name him when she married.

Last edited by Tourmie on Tue May 29, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add comment)

4Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Am guessing Mary Anns mother was Elizabeth Curtis married to William Cole then was widowed and married a Tribble - or at least had a son William with a Mr Tribble.

Oh hang on William marries as William Cole Tribble (I see a pattern emerging here Cool ) Bristol 25 Dec 1854.
Father William Tribble.

My word it is a tangle of names study

Last edited by Tourmie on Tue May 29, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

5Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 pm

siamesewillow

Made a mistake with " On the marriage certificate between Richard and Elizabeth" meant Richard and Mary Ann, Mary Ann's parents were called William Coole and Elizabeth.

6Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 8:22 am

What happened to Joseph Dickenson? Did he pass away and she then married someone called Richard?
Sorry for being daft but I don't see where Richard comes into the mix, what was his surname? confused

Not sure where the little Tribble was in 1841.....maybe under the name Cole Question

7Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 8:37 am

siamesewillow

Sorry to be so confusing, think I had better start again.
Should also have mentioned that ancestry have the 1851 census muddled they do not seem to know if the family name is Tribbles or Curtis. Also I think they are 2 different families.

William Coole born 1806 Bristol, he married Elizabeth ?, they had 2 children William 1831-1833 and Mary Ann born 1833 Bristol.

In 1853 Mary Ann marries Joseph Dickenson (have marriage certificate) In 1850 Mary Ann gave birth to a daughter Emma Thomas Cole (as mentioned the surname Coole various) have a birth certificate for Emma which only gives the mother's name, no father.

On the 1851 census there is a Emma Thos Cole age 6 months, either living or staying with the Tribbles/Curtis family which states Emma as the Granddaughter

On the 1861 census the Dickenson's have 3 more children and Emma Cole age 11 is down as a daughter.

My problem is, are there two different Emma's and or 2 different Mary Ann's

siamese

8Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 am

Emma looks fine to me but maybe I just ain't getting it Embarassed

On the face of it the 1851 looks like one big happy family with a lodger thrown in.

Ann Curtis mother of Elizabeth Arrow
Elizabeth mother of William, Edward, Mary Ann Arrow
Mary Ann mother of Emma Arrow
Emma granddaughter of Elizabeth

It can't be coincidence that William and Emma marry using Cole as a middle name so they have to be related.

Elias Thomas candidate for Emmas father is 22 in 1851 Bristol with parents. Lots of trees with him on as the father and marrying in 1853.

Sooooooo.......who was Richard? Basketball

9Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 11:34 am

siamesewillow

Sorry I'm abit loss about (It can't be coincidence that William and Emma marry using Cole as a middle name so they have to be related.) How did Cole come in?

10Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Your first post Emma Thomas Cole daughter of Mary Ann Cole (the surname Coole various)

Emma and the Tribble chap William both marry using the name Cole as a middle name (see previous findings)

Not doing very well am I Laughing Think I'd better stop talking and wondering who Richard is and let someone else have a go!!

11Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 2:29 pm

siamesewillow

Sorry my mistake regarding Richard, forget about him I meant Joseph not Elizabeth. So Emma Thomas Cole marries William Tribble, I could order their marriage certificate when I have some money, will help.

Thanks Tourmie,

siamese

12Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 pm

Oh no no they don't marry each other! They marry other people but both have Cole as a middle name which seems to link them together in the same family.

Emma Cole Thomas 19 marries William Hunt 1869 her father Elias (see prev comments about him) It makes sense to me she would switch Thomas and Cole around and that Thomas is her fathers surname.

William Cole Tribble 18 marries Hannah Humphries 1854 his father William Tribble.

I haven't found Mary Anns mother marrying a Tribble but by my reckoning they are half siblings as the 1851 seems to indicate.

13Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 5:30 pm

siamesewillow

Things appear a little bit clearer now. So is MaryAnn Cole mother of Emma Thomas Cole the same Mary who's father was William Coole or are there 2 different families. Or was her father a Tribble? Mind you William's wife Elizabeth could of been a Tribble. I do not subscribe to ancestry so have to rely on the library computer.

siamese

14Mary Ann Coole...................... Empty Re: Mary Ann Coole...................... Wed May 30, 2012 10:49 pm

I think it all ties in siamese. I have found a tree with Elizabeth marrying William Tribble 18 Sep 1836 St Johns Bedminster with William Cole Tribble born 1837 tho have found no other record of this marriage.

Elizabeth was Curtis before she married William Cole (hence mother Ann Curtis on the 1851) then married a Tribble.
Mary Ann being the daughter of previous husband William Cole.

I note in 1851 it says Elizabeth is married but don't know where husband was.
I did find a possible one in 1841 born Somerset. Not sure where little Tribble was in 1841 either but will sleep on that for tonight Sleep

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum