History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sarah Hulme

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sarah Hulme  Empty Sarah Hulme Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Am looking for Sarah Hulme before she married in 1913 to Frank Bowker.
She died in 1933 aged 42 but I can't find any likely births in Swindon so she may have come from farther afield.

Found her in my pub book - she was landlady of the pub I may have mentioned on here before The Duke of Edingburgh - fined for selling whisky on a Sunday drunken

I can't even see a Sarah Hulme in Swindon in 1911 census but I imagine that was her birth name as she was only 22 when she married.

2Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Heard a bit more family info tonight that might help. She may have come from Cheshire as another person called Hulme married into the family and had dabblings with the same pub.

Still can't find her in 1911 but there is a candidate for Sarah in 1901 daughter of Walter and Sarah A Hulme. My other relative was daughter of Walter and Rose (2nd wife) so they would have been half sisters.

1911 has them with 6 children plus 2 sons from his first marriage and a Sarah crossed out. So where was she Question

3Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:45 am

siamesewillow

Hope this will help. My ancestry has decided to freeze, but found this entry on family search.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VBZ9-HGW

siamese

4Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:49 am

siamesewillow

Found the marriage which shows they married in Swindon. Wander where Frank came from as they may have meet in Cheshire.

siamese

5Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 am

Hi siamese thanks for that but I don't think the census entry can be her as she was born around 1891 so wouldn't be on 1871.

Frank Crossley Bowker comes from Swindon born 1883. He is son of Arthur Bowker and Susannah Crossley. Susannah being the daughter of William Crossley and Elizabeth Hinchliffe.

6Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 am

siamesewillow

7Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 am

This is the one I found for 1901 with parents Walter and Rose but I think Sarah probably was the daughter of his first wife. As were the two oldest boys Samuel and Joseph.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=sarah&gsln=hulme&msfng0=walter&sbo=0&uidh=ls1&pcat=35&h=19806056&db=uki1901&indiv=1

As you can see it links to a 1911 for the same family but the Sarah entry is crossed out so she must have been somewhere else.

8Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:30 am

siamesewillow

Ancestry will not let me view as I do not subscribe.

9Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

SmallTownGirl

Hi Tourmie

I wondered if, as she was a local publican, whether there might have been an obituary for her in the local paper.

Just a thort!

STG

10Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi STG

Yes there might have been thanks for the thort!

I found a probate thing for her and one for her husband but that don't help me find her in 1911. I don't see any candidates in this area so maybe she was in service somewhere up North.

I suppose if I really wanted to check she had the same father Walter I could get the marriage to Frank.

11Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:17 pm

SmallTownGirl

So, no clues from the probate stuff then? Pity.

STG

12Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:53 pm

vron

Sarah Hulme
christening:09 Jul 1891 Antrobus,​ Cheshire,​ England
residence:09 Jul 1891,​ Antrobus,​ Cheshire,​ England
parents:Walter Hulme,​ Sarah Ann

13Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:02 pm

That fits perfect thanks vron bounce

14Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:50 am

vron

hope it is the right one. the only way to be certain though would be to buy the marriage cert and see who her father was.

15Sarah Hulme  Empty Re: Sarah Hulme Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 am

Yes can't be 100% sure without that but it looks very positive bounce

Her mother died in 1893 and Walter married Rose. The sons from first marriage are with Walter and Rose plus their own children in 1911.

Sarah slots in perfectly and the fact there is a Sarah crossed out on the 1911 is more evidence she belongs to them. Age is wrong but the daughter underneath had that age put down so could be an honest mistake.

I'll have another hunt for her in 1911 using the birthplace info you found.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum