History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

George again please don't run!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1George again please don't run! Empty George again please don't run! Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Sorry to mention my missing George Hinchliffe again but am no further forward on finding him and wanted to follow up a previous lead but can't find the details Embarassed

What I'm looking for is a name above his on a passenger list to America sometime between 1851 when George disappears from Yorkshire and 1861.

George was a hatter on the passenger list as was the older gentleman listed above.
I want to investigate him further if I can but can't remember his name scratch I feel it was something like Alexander Question I wondered if George was his apprentice or something.

George born Huddersfield 1836.

Thanks if anyone can find the hatter and tell me his name or anything about him.

2George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am

SmallTownGirl

Ancestry's "new" outbound passenger lists don't start until 1890, so did someone find him for you on FMP perhaps?

STG

PS : Sorry not been around much. RL has been a bit of a b*gger lately.

3George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm

I remember seeing it with my own eyes so was thinking it must be ancestry but you could be right. I will have a look on FMP when I next go to the library.
Trying desperately to finish an 832 page book (Nicholas Nickleby) and have already renewed it twice Laughing

Not sure what RL is - Rural Life?! - but sorry it has been a pig

4George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:28 pm

SmallTownGirl

RL = Real Life

Nicholas Nickleby ...

Arghhhhhhhh! Dickens! Was forced to read Oliver Twist at school and that put me off him for years. Tried Bleak House just before it was on TV and wanted to strangle Mrs Jellaby (well, the whole family, really) Esther Summerson and Richard/Rick Whatshisname before I got halfway through it. Have told myself that one day (whenever that is) I might try Tale of Two Cities, but nothing else appeals. Think his female characters are all rather 2-dimensional.

I looked for your George Hinchliffe on Ancestry but all I got for him was criminal registers ( Twisted Evil ) and I think we've eliminated these before.

5George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:57 pm

Ah Real Life I was half right.

This is my first foray into Dickens. Local library only had two to choose from NN or Little Dorrit. I read the synopsis for both and plumped for NN. Can't say I love it but don't hate it either. Quite amusing in parts but not sure if that's intentional or just how I am perceiving it Laughing

Indeed we did do the criminal registers for George, it must have been the good ship FMP he was sailing on.

6George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 pm

siamesewillow

Is this the George you are talking about?
Name: George Hinchliffe
Departure Date: 21 Apr 1959
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination Port: Round Trip
Ship Name: Monte Arucas
Search Ship Database: Search the 'Monte Arucas' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Bahr Behrend and Company, Limited
Master: J Lergards

7George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 pm

No mine would be long dead by 1959 siamese but thanks for looking.

I was looking for one with the occupation "hatter" and the person listed above him who had the same occupation. My George was born c1836.

8George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Found a little trio in Derbyshire to investigate.

George Hinchliffe Holmfirth Yorks 46
Jane Hinchliffe Shepley Yorks 44
Harriet A Totouend Hadfield Derbyshire 19 neice doubt very much that is her surname Exclamation could be Friend Question

George Hinchliffe Shepley Yorks 26
Jane Hinchliffe Kirkburton Yorks 23
Sarah Hinchliffe Huddersfield Yorks 20 sister - don't have a sister Sarah for my George but that was his mothers name.

Can anyone find them in 1871 please or maybe find Sarah as a nipper to rule her out.

9George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:14 pm

SmallTownGirl

1871, Pendleton, Lancs

George Hinchliffe, 39, b. Clayton, Yorks, stonemason
Jane, 36, b. Newby, Yorks
Luke, 16, son, b. Preston, Lancs
Mary, 14, daughter, b.Preston, Lancs
Martha, 11, daughter, b. Hulme, Lancs
Robert, 6, son, b. Hulme, Lance
Florence, 2, daughter, b. Pendleton, Lancs
Sarah, 2mths, daughter, b. Pendleton, Lancs

If this is the same family, where are all the children in 1881? Can understand that the older ones would hae left home, but what about Robert, Florence and baby Sarah?

Will have another look in the morning. Am going a bit cross-eyed now, been a long day. Sleep

STG

PS :Can't see a [male] Friend marrying a [female] Hinchliffe anytime from 1845-1863, so maybe niece Sarah (in 1881) is Jane's niece rather than George's?

10George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:27 am

vron

this is the george (hatter) going to america

Name:Geo Hinchliffe
Arrival Date:15 Mar 1858
Birth Date:abt 1835
Ethnicity/ Nationality:English
Place of Origin:England
Port of Departure:Liverpool, England
Destination:United States of America
Port of Arrival:New York
Port Arrival State:New York
Port Arrival Country:United States
Ship Name:Neptune

the name above is andrew murray hatter aged 32 nationality united states

11George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 am

This must be the family you found with the kids so a different George/Jane.

George Hinchcliffe
Jane Hinchcliffe
Luke Hinchcliffe
Martha Hinchcliffe
Herbert Hinchcliffe
Florence Hinchcliffe
Sarah Hinchcliffe
John Hinchcliffe
Albert Hinchcliffe
Frederick Hinchcliffe
Mary Ann Crook

12George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 am

There's a George marrying a Jane Silverwood in 1857 but his father is John not James and has a different occupation again.

Birthplaces/occupations seem to change with every census which doesn't help.

Yes the niece must be her side as none of Georges sisters married a Friend.

Well done vron for finding the hatter cheers

13George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:43 am

By 1891 George is a widower with different occupation again but has lodger Harriet Townend 29 - that has to be the same Harriet niece I would think.

Yes birth for Harriet A Townend Hayfield Dec 1861. So let me think scratch

14George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 pm

SmallTownGirl

Have found George and Jane in Hadfield, Derbys in 1871.

George, labourer, 38, b. Holmfirth, Yorks
Jane, 33, b. Shepley, Yorks
Mary Townend, 37, unmarried*, sister-in-law b. Shepley, Yorks
Harriet A Townend, 10, niece, b. Glossop, Derbys
Eleanor J Townend, 5, niece, b. Glossop, Derbys

* so does that mean that Jane's MN was Townend?

15George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:37 pm

vron

have we ruled out all the deaths

Name:George Hinchliffe
Date of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec 1852
Registration district:Huddersfield
Inferred County:Yorkshire West Riding
Volume:9a
Page:219

i looked on american cnesus to see if i could see a george hinchliffe hatter but no luck nor could i find andrew murray hatter either

16George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:28 pm

1841/1851 do have a Jane Townend with a sister Mary Townend 3 years older.
Parents Charles/Ann. Other siblings William, Elizabeth, Martha.
1861 Mary is with Charles and Martha and guess where they are - Derbyshire.

However can't see Jane marrying George confused nor do they appear to have any of their own children.

I will check to see if I got that death. It's an obvious one isn't it so hope I haven't overlooked it Embarassed There are trees with a George dying 1852 and he is an older man but that doesn't prove it was him.

17George again please don't run! Empty Re: George again please don't run! Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Eleanor J doesn't throw up much but there is an Eliza Jane Townend niece with Mary Townend sister in 1881 with Martha Hepplestone.

1891 Eliza and Mary still with Martha.

Martha was one of the siblings so think we have the right family.

Buttt after all that digressing do we have the right George Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum