History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Back to George again

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to George again Empty Back to George again Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 am

Anyone got the patience to have another look for George?
He is the only one out of 9 brothers and sisters I am really stuck on.

Here is everything I have about him which isn't much.
He was George Hinchliffe the youngest of 9 children born to James and Sarah.
He is on the 1841 in Huddersfield aged 5 born 1836.
In 1851 he is with widowed mother and 2 sisters in Huddersfield aged 16 born 1835 Huddersfield.

Now the most obvious candidate was the one that married Ann Cuckson/Cookson in 1856 but he has been ruled out and I have no other likely candidates on the table.

Would love to know what happened to him. Have looked many times but could be I am missing something obvious. Hope so anyway!

Thanks flower

2Back to George again Empty Re: Back to George again Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:46 pm

SmallTownGirl

I had a quick look before I went out this morning, but didn't have time to post.

From the 1841 census there seems to be two George's b. abt 1836 in Huddersfield. If you can't find "your" George, have you found the other one for elimination purposes, and if so what's he doing?

STG

3Back to George again Empty Re: Back to George again Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 am

Sorry not quite sure what you mean - look for the wrong one and rule him out?
No exact birthplaces are given in 1841 so I wouldn't know where any other future Georges came from.

My George in 1851 was a "Woolen Finisher Man"
I can only see one George H of the right age born Huddersfield in 1851 and no marriages with father James in the West Yorkshire bits.

4Back to George again Empty Re: Back to George again Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:53 am

SmallTownGirl

Just about to go out again, so no time to look anything up for you, just time to try to explain what I meant.

On the 1841 census, Ancestry brings up two Georges b. abt 1836 in Huddersfield. We know that one is yours and one isn't because you've IDd them from the different names of their parents, and then IDd your George in 1851 because he's still with his mother.

After that, assuming they both stayed in the Huddersfield area, as neither has a middle name AND they share a common birth year and place, they are much more difficult to identify one from the other.

All we know about your George (after 1851) is that he didn't marry Anne Cuckson/Cookson.

Let's hope if we do find him that he didn't marry someone else called Anne!

I'll have a look when I get back tonight and see what [if anything] I can find.

cheers
STG

5Back to George again Empty Re: Back to George again Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks I get it now - there are 2 actually residing in Huddersfield in 1841 - I see the other one. Will see if I can track him down.

6Back to George again Empty Re: Back to George again Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Nothing conclusive on later census but presuming his parents are Joseph and Ann as per the 1841 there is a George Henry born 1836 Huddersfield per baptisms.

Two or three marriages with Joseph as the father.
Geo born 1835 to Martha in 1861. Geo is a joiner I think.
Geo born 1833 to Harriet. Geo is a clothier.

Also I did find a George H imprisoned for 3 years in 1862! Could be he was on the loose in 1861 but of course he wouldn't be mine.........would he Shocked

7Back to George again Empty Re: Back to George again Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:54 am

I am throwing in the towel with this one. Whatever happened to him he isn't giving it up easily. Hoping if I say that and give up something new will pop up as so often happens!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum