History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

George in America

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1George in America Empty George in America Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:40 am

Just double checking my missing George Hinchliffe options (sadly few) and came across an 1880 US census in Illinois.  
Found him on 2 more US census in 1900 and 1910 plus a death 22 April 1914 where he is described as age precisely 77 years 7 months and 18 days.

Birthdate given as 4 Sept 1836 Sheffield.  Sheffield not quite right but close enough to double check as I don't have a baptism for mine.  

It also says 66 years in the US which would mean he emigrated about 17 and my George is last seen at 16 in 1851.  

Can anyone find a George born Sheffield 1836 in 1841/1851 who disappears that could be him?
Mine is in Huddersfield 1841/1851 but if we could find a Sheffield one it would rule the US one out.

His wife in the US is Maggie American born.  George is widowed by 1900.  

Thanks guys.

3George in America Empty Re: George in America Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 am

Don't waste anymore time on it STG my maths has let me down yet again Embarassed 

66 years in the US would mean he left England when he was 11 which would be before 1851 so can't be the George I'm looking for as he was still here in 1851.

4George in America Empty Re: George in America Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:10 am

SmallTownGirl

I'm sure we've all done something similarly daft.  I know I have Embarassed 

What I meant to say before, was that during the Henshall searches, when I ticked the sounds-like (or whatever it's called) box on FreeBMD, I got Hinchliffes in the listings.  Was a bit surprised by that, because was expecting to get Henshaw (which I didn't). Question 

Anyway, just thort I'd tell you in case it helps - don't know how, but you never know, do you you? bounce

5George in America Empty Re: George in America Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Well there you go that is surprising.  Maybe my missing Charlotte birth from 1864 is under Henshall Exclamation  

Are you watching Secrets from the Workhouse?  Grim stuff no wonder the celebs are Crying or Very sad

6George in America Empty Re: George in America Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:26 pm

SmallTownGirl

... Secrets from the Workhouse

Missed it last week. Don't know how. Embarassed  Must try to catch-up with it on I-player or whatever ITV's thingy is called. Question 

7George in America Empty Re: George in America Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

SmallTownGirl

Am up to speed now with Secrets from the Workhouse.

If Brian Cox was persuaded to dye his hair, moustache and beard that colour for an acting part, I forgive him*, otherwise, not.

Also thought the information about Fern Brittain's g.uncle (was it) who died in the workhouse and had his body dissected by medical students, seemed quite timely in view of the vote in the Welsh Assembly yesterday about presumed consent for organ donation.  

* that's big of me, isn't it?

8George in America Empty Re: George in America Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Haven't seen part 2 yet but I'm sure it was in a purely professional capacity pirat 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum