History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Census with a George in it

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Census with a George in it Empty Census with a George in it Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Tangle discovered.  Help needed to untangle please!

George Hinchliffe father widower age 52 born 1839 Darton? Yorks

All the other occupants, 5 names above and 3 below, on the transcription are called Milner but he is shown as father.  
Now when you look at the original the families are separated and he is the head/father with these 3 underneath all single and born Wakefield.

Hannah Milner 23 daughter
Stephen Milner 21 son
George Milner 15 son

My tangle is how did they get the surname Milner if they are all his children Question 

I thought he might have been the father of married Mary Ann Milner on the census entry above but she was a Heptonstall so am somewhat puzzled. I suppose she could have been married before.

Anyway there is a George in it somehow and can't leave that stone unturned now can we.

2Census with a George in it Empty Re: Census with a George in it Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:35 pm

Mary Ann wasn't a Hinchliffe nor had she been married before. Her father was James Heptonstall.

Do you think George should have been a census entry on his own and got inserted between the Milner's by mistake? I can't see a link between the two families as yet.

3Census with a George in it Empty Re: Census with a George in it Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:28 am

vron

well going back 20 years we have Hannah hinchliffe and Stephen hinchliffe with father George hinchliffe and mother mary

George Hinchliffe  32
Mary Hinchliffe  34
Hannah Hinchliffe  3
Stephen Hinchliffe  1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 4624; Folio: 84; Page: 20

in 1881

George Hinchliffe  42
Annie Hinchliffe  13
Stephen Hinchliffe  11
George Hinchliffe  5

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4581; Folio: 125; Page: 25

so it looks like they are definitely hinchliffes.

in 1901 I can see Stephen married to a clara and again under the name hinchliffe.

doh!!!!! I just looked at the original 1891 census image on ancestry - should have done that first !!! George hinchliffe is clearly separate from those above - there is a clear line between them and the three children Hannah ,stephen and george are dittoed under hinchliffe surname. the transcribe has just got carried away when filling in dittos etc

4Census with a George in it Empty Re: Census with a George in it Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Oh goodness so they are thanks vron.  I saw the families were separate on the original but didn't clue up that the 3 under George were ditto Hinchliffe not ditto Milner Embarassed 

Have now found a likely marriage for George in Wakefield 1865 to Mary Taylor and his father is Stephen Hinchliffe.  Makes sense as he had a son called Stephen so another George to cross off the list.

Thanks Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum