History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

John Pashley

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1John Pashley Empty John Pashley Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:44 pm

I got a death certificate today for John Pashley who died Huddersfield Nov 1858.

I was expecting him to be 9 years old as he is on the 1851 census with parents William and Rhoda and brother Shelley aged 4 (John is 2 in 1851) but the death certificate says 9 months Shocked

I doubt there would have been a mistake between 9 months and 9 years so am wondering if the first John also died and this is the second?

I didn't think it was possible to find any more young deaths for this family but would still like to find out Crying or Very sad

2John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Oh hang on a minute Rhoda died in 1854 so she can't be his mother and his father didn't remarry till 1860 sooooooo who did he belong to?
Pretty sure the father is right as the clues are there, name, occupation and location.

Did he have another woman between the two wives - what do you think confused

3John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 pm

SmallTownGirl

Oh dear. How disappointing. And, there aren't any [other] John Pashley deaths in Huddersfield between 1851 and 1858.

So, 2yo John is with his parents in 1851; mum dies in 1854. Any record of him and his father in 1861?

STG

4John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm

In 1861 father is with second wife, daughter Alice (from first wife) and newborn son William.

I can't find a birth in 1858 to account for a 9 month old dying in November.

Unlikely as it seems the most likely explanation to me at the moment is a mistake on the certificate. The informant was Henry Lee in attendance. No idea who he was or if he knew the difference between a 9 month old and a 9 year old drunken

5John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote: The informant was Henry Lee in attendance. No idea who he was or if he knew the difference between a 9 month old and a 9 year old drunken

Well, I'm not good with children, but even I could tell that difference!

I have a William Walker, b. 1896, son of Absolom. I have a copy of his birth certificate written on 26 May 1909 saying that he's William, son of William! With it is a certificate, also dated 26 May 1909, issued under the Factory and Workshop Act of 1901, saying that he's William, son of Absolom! So, clearly whoever copied the birth certificate got William's father's name wrong and the registrar didn't check it properly before he signed it. So, mistakes do happen.

STG

6John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Mistakes do happen indeed. Someone has found out that John was buried Edgerton Cemetery Huddersfield on 24 November 1858 and he was 9 years old. That ties in nicely with the date of death on the certificate of 21 November 1858 so I think we can safely say that is he.

It's funny I have another similar problem on the go with Ann Hinchliffe who is born 1850 dies 1855 but is somehow 19 months old silent

Someone has also found Henry Lee the informant, it appears his mother was the same as this Johns grandmother so he was kind of an Uncle to the deceased.

7John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:28 pm

SmallTownGirl

Oh good. Sounds as if it's all turned out nicely. Cool

If only all of our searches could end so well, eh? Smile

8John Pashley Empty Re: John Pashley Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Yep just seeing if I can find out his plot now and if he had a headstone. I very rarely find any so is doubtful.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum