History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trying to find the Bennetts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 pm

SmallTownGirl

I have Annie Maria Bennett, b. 1869 in Brierley Hill, Staffs. She has siblings, all born Brierley Hill:

Josiah, b. 1873
Edward, b. 1875
John K, b. 1878

On the 1891 census, Annie Maria is now married to Absolom Walker* and is living in Middlesborough with her baby daughter, her three brothers and her father, "Jesse", b. abt 1841, Brierley Hill, a widower. [1891, Middlesborough, Dist 24, p.42]

The only marriage I can find that seems even a bit likely is that on IGI between Jesse Bennett and Ann(a) Maria Prickett, 16 June 1869 in Aston-juxta Birmingham : Annie Maria was b. in Q2, so if it's the right wedding it's one of those "just in time" ones. And it does seem likely that the first child, a daughter, was given a v.similar name to her mother (Ann(a) Maria -v- Annie Maria).

I've asked on the Warwickshire Boards of RootsChat and it has been suggested that "Jesse" is actually "Josiah", son of Richard and Mary Bennett, as seen on the 1851 census.

There is a death of a 35yo Ann Maria Bennett in Newcastle-under-Lyne in 1886, which is the right age, but who knows?

I've tried all sorts of options, but can't find either the family, or any individuals in the 1871 or 81 census records, although perhaps I've looked too long and can't see the wood for the trees.

Can anyone else find them, please?

STG

* In 1891 Absolom is living with his mother in Hucknall, Notts where Annie Maria and their daughter move to and the rest of their children are born.

2Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

There's a 4th brother with them in 1891 William aged 8.

3Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:48 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:There's a 4th brother with them in 1891 William aged 8.

Oh yes, sorry, missed young William off my list.

Still can't find the family in 1871 or 1881. I have Annie Maria (now Walker) and family from 1891 onward though, but no sign of any of her brothers or her father after 1891 either individually or a unit/partial unit.

STG

4Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm looking but not succeeding scratch

Strange there isn't even one of them on the loose.

5Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:09 pm

There's an Anne M Bennett born right place age 13 in 1881 as a servant.
Address Nelson St Ormesby.

6Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:21 pm

SmallTownGirl

Tourmie wrote:There's an Anne M Bennett born right place age 13 in 1881 as a servant.
Address Nelson St Ormesby.

Oh, I'll have a look at that. Pity they had such "common" names though, eh? Thanks.

Annie Maria and her daughter Annie Elizabeth were in Hucknall in 1893, with husband Absolom, because that's where Annie Maria's second daughter, Ethel, was born. This leaves her father and the four boys somewhere together or separate.

Apart from Josiah jnr, they all have unremarkable names, so the chances of finding them as singles is slim, but I had hopes of finding more than one of them together (if you see what I mean), particularly in 1881, when the family would have consisted of mum, dad, Annie Maria, Josiah, Edward and John K.

scratch

STG

7Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes I agree particularly 1881 when the boys were small and parents were still around to look after them they should be somewhere.
Even if they had fallen on hard times and were int workhouse they should come up.

Might just be unlucky and they got missed off that year but that shouldn't apply to almost every other year as well.

Possible death for Josiah in 1907 age 32 Middlesborough district.
Possible marriage also in Middlesborough in 1893 Minnie Dodsworth/Emily Jane Thompson.

Last edited by Tourmie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add info)

9Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 am

Woah what a find, how come none of them came up before sunny

So we have another wife and possibly another son Charles to look at. William was born after this census wasn't he so did he have a different mother....lots to figure out there Laughing

10Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:41 pm

SmallTownGirl

Just got back to this after the ironing.

So, in 1891, Josiah is called Jesse and he's 50yo.
10 years earlier Josiah is called Josiah and he's 54yo.

Annie, Josiah jnr, Edward and John are all 10yrs older in 1891 than they were in 1881. John's pob has changed from Brierley Hill to Ormsby, but having said that, I think it must be the same family, don't you?

Wonder if Sarah is mother to all the children or just some?

Still scratching my head about all this.

STG

11Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 pm

That's not the same parents is it as Josiah was born 1827 and our Jesse was born 1841.
All the children piled together as sons and daughters but are they really of the nephew kind, like was Josiah brother of Jesse even tho a fair gap between them?

Can't find them anytime else drunken

Are Walter and Charles belonging to Josiah and Sarah....the other 4 are spot on for your 4 at least we have that.

12Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Might have found Walter in succeeding years. He marries a Fanny and has a mind boggling amount of children Shocked

He in Ormesby in 1891 Nottingham in 1901 and 1911. The 1911 says 18 children born 16 still alive.

13Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 pm

SmallTownGirl

Good work, Tourmie.

I've seen the 1911 one now for Walter and Fanny, which seems to suggest that the children under the age of 7 are living next door. Weird!

Bulwell is in Basford Reg District, which is where sister Annie Maria lives with husband Absalom Walker and her children.

Pity none of his living 16 children is called Jesse though.

STG

14Trying to find the Bennetts Empty Re: Trying to find the Bennetts Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Oh yes I hadn't noticed that rest of the family occupy next house Laughing
He does put address as no 34-36 with young ones at 36 how strange!
Not quite enough room on the one sheet to list them all.

Yes pity no Josiah/Jesse but there is a Joe and a Jem. I can see birth for Joe probably Joseph in 1893 and Jem could be.......Jessie Ormiston Bennett born Basford dist 1895.

Nope forget that he is down as Jim in 1901 and birth for James oh well.

Last edited by Tourmie on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Add info)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum