History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lloyd-Williams

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Lloyd-Williams Empty Lloyd-Williams Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:25 pm

mckay1402

Admin

Ok as requested here is my problem.

I have always been told that on my mothers side of the family a Welsh woman mary Lloyd and a Welsh man ...Williams got married and began the Lloyd-Williams branch of our family. It turns out that My mother (who was brought up by her gran - Emily Boon and her father - Albert Lloyd-Williams). Alberts father was william Williams from Bristol and Mary Williams from Bath. My mother believes there is still a Welsh connection and probably comes a generation previously. I haven't been able to make any connections so far.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Please feel free to ask any questions.

https://historyisnow.forumotion.co.uk

2Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:42 pm

clematised

Did you ever post this question on the Family Trees board as this sounds familiar for Bristol.
I have both names in my tree so remember them when they come up but no relation as mine are from Anglesey.
I only have the free subs but someone will look when the come in.

Edna

3Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:47 pm

mckay1402

Admin

O I thought you were about to answer my problem there and that I was going to find a new relative.

I may have posted it a long time ago on there. Not sure I ever got an answer though.

My family could be from Anglesey for all I know...I gather they moved to Bristol at some point...not sure when at the moment.

thanks for the reply

4Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 am

vron

ok - the only way to find out for sure if there is any truth in the rumours is to start with what you are certain with and work backwards bit by bit to see if you can find anything out.

as we are working with one of the "common" names ie williams you will probably need certs to prove things. have you any dates approx that we can work from so we can use the census etc to trace back, any birth or marriage cert details , siblings names of grandparents etc, middle names, -- the more info you can give the better we can trace.

5Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 am

vron

this looks a poss for the family in 1901

Name: Albert L Williams
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William Williams
Mother's Name: Mary Williams
Where born: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England

Civil parish: Bristol
Ecclesiastical parish: Easton St Mark
County/Island: Gloucestershire

Registration district: Bristol
Sub-registration district: St George
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 47
Piece: 2389
Folio: 189
Page Number: 8
Household Members: Name Age
William Williams 49 born bristol house decorator
Mary Williams 47 born bath
Albert L Williams 18 born bristol
Frederick L Williams 13 ,interestingly born toronto canada

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2389; Folio: 189; Page: 8.

and i can see albert lloyd williams marriage to emily boon in 1903

6Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 am

mckay1402

Admin

Vron that is frighteningly impressive. It took me two years to find what you've found in less than a day. My mother believes that the Welsh connection comes a generation back but I have no more information thanks that. This is My dead end.

7Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 pm

vron

Laughing

well this is prob albert lloyd williams birth

Name: Albert Lloyd Williams
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1882
Registration district: Barton Regis
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Volume: 6a
Page: 82

the easy way would be to buy this certificate (£9.25)which would give the mothers maiden name and confirm whether this is the williams/lloyd marriage you are talking about. even if it is not it would give maiden name and from that would be able to find their marriage and go back from there.

off to finish cleaning the floors etc Crying or Very sad so back this evening to carry on where i have left off Smile

8Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:25 pm

mckay1402

Admin

Vron

That is definitely the right Albert. He was my mothers grand father. I need to try to find the generation previous to William and Mary...Unfortunately I don't know her maiden name. If there is no Welsh connection there then I wouldn't expect to find it any further back. I know I need to get the marriage cert for William and Mary in order to reach the next step. Did you get that from Ancestry?

9Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:50 pm

SmallTownGirl

Is this William and Mary's marriage? Barton Regis registration district seems to cover North Bristol/South Glos.

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

------------------------------------------------------------Marriages Mar 1883 (>99%

WILLIAMS Mary Jane Barton R. 6a 277
WILLIAMS William Barton R. 6a 277

STG

Edited to say : Just realised that this marriage is after Albert Lloyd's birth, so maybe it's not the right couple.

10Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:53 pm

vron

Hi Mckay
the only way forward really would be to buy the birth certificate of albert so that you get the maiden name of mary . then we can find right marriage. otherwise there are too many william williams marriages that they could be - especially if they did come from wales where it is so common.

Yes i was using ancestry and can see your family tree on there.

11Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:47 pm

clematised

Ontario Births, 1869-1912 for Frederick Lloyd Williams
« Back to search results

No image available Search collectionAbout this collectionName: Frederick Lloyd Williams
Event: Birth
Event Date: 06 Dec 1888
Event Place: Toronto, York, Ontario
Father: William Lloyd Williams
Mother: Mary Ellen Allan
Registration Year:
Registration Number: cn 45621
Film Number: 1845894
Digital Folder Number: 4656718
Image Number: 732

Try Mary Ellen Allan for Mother

Edna

12Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 pm

clematised

Can someone look up this census found it on familysearch but cant see the rest of the family

Edna

Frederick L Williams
England and Wales Census, 1891
birth: Toronto
census: 1891 England

name: Frederick L Williams
event: Census
event date: 1891
relationship to head of household: Son
birthplace: Toronto
record type: Household
registration district: Bedminster
sub-district: Bedminster
ecclesiastical parish: Holy Nativity
civil parish: Bedminster
county: Somersetshire

13Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:56 pm

mckay1402

Admin

Wow I don't know what to say. You three are amazing. Edna that is simply superb work. I will look into that possibility immediately.

Vron I got your PM. I did have Uriah on my family tree but I took him off as I was a bit gung ho when I first started and added so many people so I stripped it down and started again. I will add him soon.

STG

I also got your message. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be working now. Try to put them up again and if it still doesn't work I'll have a look into it.

Thank you all again and if you aren't bored of looking into my family please feel free to continue...

Mckay1402

14Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:00 pm

SmallTownGirl

OK. Third attempt.

Don't buy certificates from Ancestry, 'cos they charge about £20 each.

Buy them direct from the GRO for £9.25 each. The system won't let me post the link, but Google GRO (General Register Office) and go from there.

STG

PS : Think it was the included link that prohibited my first two attempts. Fingers crossed.

15Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 pm

vron

edna

that is the right family in 1891 census. it is finding the parents marriage or william before 1891 that is the problem

16Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 pm

clematised

I cant find the marriage of Lloyd Williams to Allan of Free BMD but I am certain that is correct.
I am sure STG or vron will be able to find them from that info found familysearch

Edna

17Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:22 pm

clematised

It is possible of course that either person were married already to someone else so no marriage took place or mbe many years later

Edna

18Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 pm

SmallTownGirl

clematised wrote:I cant find the marriage of Lloyd Williams to Allan of Free BMD but I am certain that is correct.
I am sure STG or vron will be able to find them from that info found familysearch

Edna

More than happy to help, but probably not tonight. I'm wrestling with two David Goughs b. 1808 in the same Shropshire village for my cousin's husband. To make matters worse, they both married women called Elizabeth b. abt 1810, who were also born in Shropshire. Arghhhhhhh!

STG

19Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:40 pm

vron

can't find the marriage or mary ellen allen born right time around bath either

20Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:21 am

mckay1402

Admin

Ok thank you. I am going to order Alberts birth cert today and I'll let you know what I find out. Is it possible they got married in Canada? I haven't been able to find them on passenger records coming back into the country either...

PS. I meant to say thanks for the tip STG...I have ordered a marriage cert from Ancestry before. Didn't realise they were so much cheaper in the real world

21Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:23 pm

SmallTownGirl

I ordered a birth certificate last weekend (i.e. when the GRO offices were shut) over the internet and it arrived today, despite the despatch date being given at 19 Dec.

I seem to remember that last time I ordered one, it didn't take as long as they'd estimated it would.

Excellent service from the GRO.

22Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:26 pm

vron

Hi McKay

i did look for a marriage in Canada for them but couldnt find anything likely nor could i find them coming back into the country.

i did find a few 1881 and 1871 census that could fit with william williams pre marriage but without fathers name there is not really a way to be certain so we really need the marriage cert ---- if only we could find the marriage!!

i also looked for mary ellen allen pre 1881 but there didnt seem to be any in the right area with a birthplace near bath/bristol etc.

i will have another look on monday when i have more time

23Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 pm

mckay1402

Admin

o thank you. I have looked as well but William Williams is a very common name. I shall keep trying...I ordered Albert L Williams birth certificate today so once that comes I'll post my findings...

24Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:47 pm

jc26red

this appears to be the baptism of Frederick Lloyd Williams

Name: Frederick Lloyd Williams
Event: Christening
Event Date: 15 Oct 1891
Event Place: Knowle, Holy Nativity, Somersetshire, England
Father: William Williams
Mother: Mary Williams
Film Number: 4178523
Digital Folder Number: 4178523

Bristol PRs are on familysearch.org

25Lloyd-Williams Empty Re: Lloyd-Williams Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:06 pm

jc26red

Well, they arrived in Canada already married and only stopped a short while as they were back before the 1891 UK census was taken
Departed Liverpool
Arrived Quebec on "The Sarmatian"
13 Aug 1888
William L Williams 36
Mrs Williams 35
Albert Williams 6
heading for Toronto

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum