History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another address challenge

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Another address challenge Empty Another address challenge Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:57 am

25 Hyde Road Swindon Wiltshire please for as far back as it goes!

I've tried to find it in 1911 but there don't seem to be house numbers and it may have come under Blunsdon St Andrew Wiltshire in those days rather than Swindon.

I know who lived next door in the 1900's and that was the Harris family if that helps. Their house was called Clovelly.

Thank you flower

2Another address challenge Empty Re: Another address challenge Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:15 pm

SmallTownGirl

3Another address challenge Empty Re: Another address challenge Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi STG Smile

I don't think that is the right family. All I know is the daughter was called Hilda because I had piano lessons from her when I was little.
She lived to a ripe old age so must have been born early 1900's. I don't think she had any brothers and sisters. Never knew her parents as she was quite old when I knew her.

I think Clovelly was number 27 Hyde Road and I am interested in who lived at number 25 Hyde Road which was next door and where my grandmother lived.
Clovelly was a detached property (still there today)

4Another address challenge Empty Re: Another address challenge Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm

SmallTownGirl

I'm not having a great deal of luck.

Back in 1881, there are only 4 pages for Blunsden St Andrew, but no mention of Hyde Road

In 1891, there's lots of mentions of Hyde Road, but no numbers. Grrrrrr!

Same in 1901.

And in 1911 I've been through the pages that have Hyde Road as their address, looking for any clues (number of rooms etc - 'cos I've looked on Streetview and see that Clovelly is a largish house) but the nearest one was a farmhouse.

Will have another look later and hope for more success.

STG Smile

6Another address challenge Empty Re: Another address challenge Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:17 pm

SmallTownGirl

Been through all the houses with a Hyde Road address that I can see on the 1911 census and the only one with more than 4 rooms is Hyde Farm, which has 7 rooms.

Unless anyone else has better luck, perhaps an electoral roll check would be the next best thing. Then at least we'd know what names we were looking for.

Sorry I couldn't find it. Sad

STG

7Another address challenge Empty Re: Another address challenge Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Oh now that's interesting because I thought Hilda lived in the same house all her life. I wonder if the house was built later Question I went in the front room to play the piano and once into the hind quarters kitchen area which was very old fashioned to my young eyes.

Really frustrating without house numbers isn't it. I looked up my grandma in 1911 when she was 9 and no road name let alone a number Rolling Eyes just says Kingsdown Swindon Wilts. It gives 6 rooms but can't tell if that is the house or not.

Back to 1901 the parents are living Hyde Road but no number. Parents names William John Keene b 1873 and Mary Jane b 1875.

Thanks for looking so hard STG. I'll try not to come up with anymore address queries for a bit Basketball

Last edited by Tourmie on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum