History is now
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
History is now

Any fool can make history, but it takes a genius to write it. Oscar Wilde

You are not connected. Please login or register

A Wainwright problem..........................................

2 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

siamesewillow

I'm also helping a friend with her family tree as well as my own. I'm now stuck so need help.

Jessie Wainwright born 1884 Walsal Staffordshire. In 1907 she marries George Sanders in Walsal. They have 2 daughters Edith May born 1908 (have birth certificate) and Nancy.

My friend is convinced that her Great Grandmother's surname is Osborne/Osbourne (Jessie's mother) I cannot find who Jessie's parents where. No marriage between a Wainwright and Osborne. Where was Jessie in 1901? Oh, Jessie could be Jessica.

Any help would be appreciated.

siamese

SmallTownGirl

I can't find Jessie Wainwright's birth in 1884 in Walsall.

The only ones FreeBMD has are these:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1883 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAINWRIGHT Jessie Runcorn 8a 238

Births Mar 1885 (>99%)

Wainwright Jessie Agnes Ch Stretton 6a 608

Births Jun 1885 (>99%)

Wainwright Jessie Louise Edmonton 3a 287

Births Sep 1885 (>99%)

Wainwright Jessie Runcorn 8a 224

Am I missing something?

STG

siamesewillow

Thanks STG, the Runcorn entry I do not think is hers as I found a marriage for a Jessie Wainright born Runcorn to somebody different. Wander if Jessie was her second name. On the 1911 census when Jessie is married it states she was born in Walsal.

siamese

SmallTownGirl

I've searched for Wainwright, no first name, born Walsall between 1883 and 1885 and there's no female with J as an initial. Is it possible that she was Jessie/Jessica Somebody who married a Wainwright before she married George Sanders?

Births Dec 1883 (>99%)

WAINWRIGHT Sarah Ann Walsall 6b 680

Births Mar 1884 (>99%)

Wainwright Harry Walsall 6b 725

Births Sep 1884 (>99%)

Wainwright Joseph Walsall 6b 731

Births Mar 1885 (>99%)

Wainwright Bertha Annie Walsall 6b 754

Births Dec 1885 (>99%)

Wainwright Ada Walsall 6b 687

siamesewillow

Wander if she was Jessie Osborne/Osbourne?

siamese

SmallTownGirl

Maybe Wainwright wasn't her name at all. Maybe her mother re-married a Wainwright and she used her step-father's name on the marriage certificate.

Hate to say it, but think this is probably one we won't solve without the marriage certificate.

STG

siamesewillow

Thought you had found her, but no marriage between a Osbourne and Wainwright.

siamesewillow

Marriages Mar 1907 SANDERS George Walsall 6b 1011

Marriages Mar 1907
ROSS Clara Ann Walsall 6b 1011
SANDERS George Walsall 6b 1011
TROW William George Walsall 6b 1011
WAINWRIGHT Jessie Walsall 6b 1011

SmallTownGirl

Frustrating, isn't it?

STG

siamesewillow

I'll get in touch with my friend to see if she will agree to me ordering a marriage cert between Jessie and George Sanders.

Yes its very frustrating, but thanks for your help.

siamese

You have probably checked this out already but on the birth certificate you have for Jessies daughter does it give any more names for her mother like formerly anything else apart from Wainwright?

siamesewillow

No, just formerly Wainwright.

siamese

siamesewillow

I have ordered the parent's marriage certificate which will be delivered on the 2 March.

My friend always was given the understanding that her Grandmother (Jessie) was called Osbourne/Osborne hence her Mother's birth certificate (Edith May) so was rather surprised when the name Wainwright came up. We than thought maybe it was Jessie's mother's maiden name was Osborne cause as you know as a child she was not that interested so only half listened.

Another bit of information that may help my friend thinks that Jessie's parents ran a sweet/bake shop or something similiar.

siamese

siamesewillow

Going back to the Osbourne family and looking at their occupation in 1891 Harry Osbourne is a printer, BUT in 1901 they are running a fancy good shop, hopeful.

siamese

That's a good little clue about the sweet shop.
Will be exciting getting that certificate to see fathers name and occupation.
Do post when you get it sunny

On the 1911 you have for Jessie is daughter Edith May with her?

I ask because have found an Osbourne family in 1911 (Harry & Annie) and they have an Edith May Saunders aged 2 with them.
Could be a different family altogether and just a coincidence the similar names.

It doesn't say Edith is a granddaughter just a visitor.
There's also a daughter Edith Elizabeth 13 and a son Ernest 10 both born Walsall.
Harry is an outdoor photographer. Married 22 years 7 children born 4 still living.

They are living Newport Salop where Annie came from.

Hold onto your hats........ bounce

Jessie was born before the marriage to Harry Osbourne hence taking mothers name Wainwright.

Marriages Sep 1888 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Osbourne Harry Chorlton 8c 1240
Payant Zoe Mary Chorlton 8c 1240
Wainwright Annie Chorlton 8c 1240
WILSON William Valentine Chorlton 8c 1240

SmallTownGirl

What a clever girl you are Tourmie. Well found.

My wifi connection is very off/on at the moment, which makes searching rather difficult.

STG

siamesewillow

I have the family intact on the 1911 census, George Sanders born 1875 Walsal, wife Jessie born 1884 Walsal, daughters Edith May born 1908 and Nancy born 1910.

siamesewillow

Looks like you have solved the mystery, Tourmie, cannot thank you enough. But will let you know when the certificate arrives.

siamese

I do hope so but if Edith May is safely tucked up with Jessie in 1911 who is the other Edith May with Harry & Annie in 1911?!
A random 2 year old who just happens to share the same names tho granted it does say Saunders not Sanders.
Was Jessie living nearby in 1911?

siamesewillow

Unfortunately I do not have access to the 1911 census.

siamese

I can see the summary for George, Jesse, May & Nancy in Walsall but not the actual form.

It must be the same little girl down twice, too much of a coincidence with the names/age. Would make sense she was down as a visitor with grandparents if she didn't actually live there but parents put her down at home as well.

Only thing is I don't know how far apart Walsall and Newport Salop are. Not like she just toddled round next door by herself at 2 years old!

siamesewillow

Well at least the marriage will show who Jessie's father/step father is. I gather she legally never altered her surname to Osbourne so although she was known as Jessie Osbourne when it came to legal documents like marriage certificates she had to revert to Wainwright.

My friend will be away for 2 weeks but she had never heard the name Wainwright and was so surprised to see that name on her mother's birth certificate. She always thought her mother was called Jessie Osbourne, but seeing Jessie's father was not Osbourne but Wainwright or maybe some other name the family never spoke of it.

siamese

siamesewillow

Well the marriage certificate has arrived and we are almost back to square one. According to the certificate her father was Harry Wainwright, photographer, oh yes another thing she was 24 years old so born 1883.

I have been on ancestry and can find nothing.

My friend is still away.

Help please.

siamese

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum